Lt. Commander
# 1491
09-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
"Soon"

One of the worst words in game development history. Nobody but the developers know exactly how long "Soon" is, by their definition.

Online dictionary states it means "In a timely manner":
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soon
I'll be more clear. Heretic...define Cryptic's meaning of 'soon.'
Lt. Commander
# 1492
09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
well maybe tommorrow for it to goto tribble. I just looked its not on there yet. Lets hope soon is what he is truly saying. Soon like tonigt, tommorrow?

Lord-Mirrem
Lt. Commander
# 1493
09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
So Heretic, will we be able to use the Doff interface and both accept and complete missions on our ship interiors? If not...thats really bad. The Doff system is exactly the type of thing a Captain would be doing from his ready room or bridge, so please tell me the answer is yes
So, you can in fact interface with the duty officer system from the interior of your ship (you can't, note, when your ship is in non-social system maps). We are also investigating special assignments from personnel around the interior of your ship. Not entirely certain that that answers your question, however...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
"Soon"

One of the worst words in game development history. Nobody but the developers know exactly how long "Soon" is, by their definition.
As I use it, "soon" (as distinct from "very soon") in development terms means, "It's on the schedule, it has a due date, that due date is in the next few weeks." Where it gets a bad rep is in that things do go wrong, schedules get changed, things sometimes don't go smoothly. The major complication is that there is considerable lag time between when a developer checks in a change and it goes through the pipeline to come out to the player-facing server.
Lt. Commander
# 1494
09-21-2011, 06:09 PM
well i hope its in the next few hrs. not days... lol

Lord-Mirrem
Lt. Commander
# 1495
09-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
As I use it, "soon" (as distinct from "very soon") in development terms means, "It's on the schedule, it has a due date, that due date is in the next few weeks." Where it gets a bad rep is in that things do go wrong, schedules get changed, things sometimes don't go smoothly. The major complication is that there is considerable lag time between when a developer checks in a change and it goes through the pipeline to come out to the player-facing server.
So in effect, "Soon" has no real meaning to us, since your last "Very very soon" could mean anything from a few hours, to several weeks. In other words, business as usual, and no point sticking around waiting for something which inevitably can be released at any time (or not at all).
Lt. Commander
# 1496
09-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
So, you can in fact interface with the duty officer system from the interior of your ship (you can't, note, when your ship is in non-social system maps). We are also investigating special assignments from personnel around the interior of your ship. Not entirely certain that that answers your question, however...?

OK... Now describe your version of Very, Very Soon....

...as seen here... http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...postcount=1457
Lt. Commander
# 1497
09-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
I apologize but I am not completely sure what you mean. Dont you HAVE to be in a social space map to go to your bridge in the first place? What do you mean by "non-social system maps"?
Lt. Commander
# 1498
09-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otawo
well i hope its in the next few hrs. not days... lol

Lord-Mirrem
"Hours instead of days, now we have minutes instead of hours..."
Lt. Commander
# 1499
09-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I apologize but I am not completely sure what you mean. Dont you HAVE to be in a social space map to go to your bridge in the first place? What do you mean by "non-social system maps"?
Duty officer assignments are available on social maps - ground and system - and also sector maps. They may also be available in some select missions. Assignments are also available in your ship interior if your ship is currently on one of the above types of maps.

Non-social system maps = mission space maps.
Lt. Commander
# 1500
09-21-2011, 06:40 PM
so soon is when???? Inquiring minds want to know. Do we make plans for the weekend. Or do we make plans to test all weekend? Hmmm Crypitic? Hmmmmmmmm

Lord-Mirrem