Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
09-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I just figured I was hitting keys too quickly and confusing the game engine on what it thinks I'm trying to do in the three seconds I have to hit 7 keys to stay alive and do damage wilst flying one-handed.

I like the idea in theory though and it sounds like an easy transition to implement.

Instead of clicking/keying a power to activate a timer that gives a CD deadline to use it, you would start a timer that would auto-complete when time ran out or can be activated earlier by a second key press?

I think I missed something.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
The UI in this game is awful. In other mmo's you can activate loads of powers simultaneously, but in this game you're lucky to get 2 to activate the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-21-2011, 09:00 PM
yeah, this problem annoys the heck out of me as well. I suspect it's rooted somewhere in the game's basic UI system, note all those dialog buttons you have to click twice.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-21-2011, 10:03 PM
This problem seems to be worse on busy days - which makes me think that lag is the primary issue. Given that... it most definitely sucks having to adapt to the point where you have to pound the **** out of one key 5-10 times just to fire a single power.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-22-2011, 06:56 AM
So is the issue rooted in the Activation time requirements of the individual powers?
Meaning if I do not hold the key down for 3-5 seconds to make sure that power A is activated and move too quickly to key/activate power B, the systems skips A to start B instead?

If so can't they just reduce all or some of the activation times to 1-2 seconds?
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
This problem seems to be worse on busy days - which makes me think that lag is the primary issue. Given that... it most definitely sucks having to adapt to the point where you have to pound the **** out of one key 5-10 times just to fire a single power.
Its not the lag, its definately not the lag. It happens to me ALL the time. No indication of lag, not even server side.

It clearly looks like a simplistic system whether it just either acknowledge you clicked on the ability (-> uploading data to server) and receive the information it has been confirmed or executed (-> download from server)

This is about it, its so simplistic that there is no failsafe somewhere that it would make SURE it will be activated. There seem to be no trial and error or verify mechanism build in here.

Thus, even if it were to be lag, the server should just at some point, even after 5 seconds, acknowledge and verify that you have clicked a certain ability. Not just ignoring it and do nothing. Does your download just stop if your connection has a slight dip or a 1-2 second blackout? Thats the same for when I quickly pull out my network cable out of my laptop and put it back in.

Im sorry but this crap just restricts my captain skills somewhat.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-22-2011, 09:07 AM
I think keybinds are already the clear indication that the delay is intended. No matter how many BO powers you bind to a key - each press will only activate one of them. (There are a few non-BO powers that can be triggered togeither, like Distribute Shields, but that's it).

So I think it is simply a way to make people that use macros less effective. And with macros I mean something more like "if X happens, automatically trigger A,B,C (possibly even with intentional delays)", not merely keybinds, but keybinds as well. This ensures that there is always a delay between each power, and someone that manually clicks is not too disadvantaged.

Except, of course, even if you manually click, the system leads to failed activations. And that is certainly a problem, because it basically hurts those that manually click most - because they might have already moved their mouse to another ability they wanted to trigger, and have to move back. A keybinder can just repress the key. (More complex macros would probably fail, as the triggering condition might become invalid, or they wouldn't notice that an ability mis-fired and continue with an ability sequence that might no longer make sense.)

Maybe the macros are a reason they don't want to go with a queue? But I still feel that mouse-clickers are hurt worse with this.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't mind having to hit a button every time I want something to happen. But when I hit a button I want something to happen. If I have 10 things bound to a single key then I should have to hit that single key 10 times and the result should be 10 abilities activated. If I bind 3 to a key then I should have to hit it 3 times, not 20.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
No matter how many BO powers you bind to a key - each press will only activate one of them.
I don't think that's accurate.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12guageshotgun
worse yet, when the graphic for your shotgun blast goes off(does nothing).... he looks at you funny, you hit the button again, but its too late. the issue of server lag and button failure is so bad, and it only got worse in season 4 with the increased speed of ground combat, same problem worse situation.
Yeah, happened a few times when we were PvPing the other day. I'd spot you cloaked and hit the button, I'd stop, pull out the gun, and then wait there nice and pretty for the inevitable shotgun blast to the face. Not that it would have helped me much you're still a beast on the ground, but it just bothers me sometimes when I sneak up behind someone, decloak fully buffed, press fire, and just stand there waiting for them to retaliate for me interrupting their nap.