Lt. Commander
# 1 And so it begins
09-24-2011, 06:52 AM
I know there's going to be some conflict on if this is exactly about STO (it is, and it isn't). So, I've chosen Ten Forward as the place to put this since people here are more laid back, or generally just more (in)sane.

Star Wars: The Old Republic now has a release date. 12-20-2011. Got it in my morning emails. This of course got me thinking. Cryptic and PWI/PWE are continuing to pull the "We're holding off till free to play" gambit. Well now they have a definitive date of when they need to have content in this game. Star Trek is a big popular series, but in the same vein Star Wars is that other massive science fiction universe that has people spending cash on DvDs that have changed their favorite scenes but they still buy them anyway because their Star Wars.

Cryptic can't just sit by now and not put content in this game. It's already driving us players away, and if they wait till near abouts TOR's launch date to go free to play and push content, players are going to be presented with a choice that comes down to this. Cryptic vs Bioware. And I'm sorry Cryptic but Bioware wins hands down for most people. You just can't afford now to sit around and fiddle with your pushing back content and not releasing stuff for your current playing masses and expect to compete with a now fast approaching bullet train that is The Old Republic.

You're really going to need to put things in this game soon. Or I fear people like me, who really love this game and have continued to pay despite no real content since Series 3, will be playing TOR when F2P comes out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
I know there's going to be some conflict on if this is exactly about STO (it is, and it isn't). So, I've chosen Ten Forward as the place to put this since people here are more laid back, or generally just more (in)sane.

Star Wars: The Old Republic now has a release date. 12-20-2011. Got it in my morning emails. This of course got me thinking. Cryptic and PWI/PWE are continuing to pull the "We're holding off till free to play" gambit. Well now they have a defensive date of when they need to have content in this game. Star Trek is a big popular series, but in the same vein Star Wars is that other massive science fiction universe that has people spending cash on DvDs that have changed their favorite scenes but they still buy them anyway because their Star Wars.

Cryptic can't just sit by now and not put content in this game. It's already driving us players away, and if they wait till near abouts TOR's launch date to go free to play and push content, players are going to be presented with a choice that comes down to this. Cryptic vs Bioware. And I'm sorry Cryptic but Bioware wins hands down for most people. You just can't afford now to sit around and fiddle with your pushing back content and not releasing stuff for your current playing masses and expect to compete with a now fast approaching bullet train that is The Old Republic.

You're really going to need to put things in this game soon. Or I fear people like me, who really love this game and have continued to pay despite no real content since Series 3, will be playing TOR when F2P comes out.
/shrug most people will play both. I've always planned to.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post

Star Wars: The Old Republic now has a release date. 12-20-2011. Got it in my morning emails. This of course got me thinking. Cryptic and PWI/PWE are continuing to pull the "We're holding off till free to play" gambit. Well now they have a defensive date of when they need to have content in this game. Star Trek is a big popular series, but in the same vein Star Wars is that other massive science fiction universe that has people spending cash on DvDs that have changed their favorite scenes but they still buy them anyway because their Star Wars.

Best news ever!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Star Trek got Picard.
Star Wars got... Erm... Slave outfit?

I'll have to go with the bald dude
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Subscribership - It's not a zero sum game. I plan on playing both games. Star Wars does not scratch the same itch as Star Trek does, and vice versa; both in terms of how the games themselves work, and in the type of sci fi they are in general.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-24-2011, 07:59 AM
ill play both.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-24-2011, 08:00 AM
I will play both. As Sparrow said, Star Wars doesnt scratch the same itch that Trek does.