Lt. Commander
# 1711
09-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
Having serious performance problems with my client. I've lowered all the settings as low as they will go, turned shadows off etc. Still very slow and stuttery. The only way to get decent fps is to go half resolution, but it looks absolutely god awful. Capped fps to 30 in the troubleshooting section too to no avail. Any pointers? Native resolution for my Macbook pro is 1680x1050.
native or not... 1680x1050 is huge and a lot of work... I'd lower your main resolution long before you tried Half Resolution. You can run at half resolution and look a lot better than using the in game version, and get more frame rate. You cannot expect a Windows game running on Wine to perform as good as it would in Windows, thats not what the port is about :-) High resolutions kill the frame rate faster than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 1712
09-24-2011, 07:44 AM
I still have the same problem as Tim, since S4. It is some input related problem, because the game works perfect if I do nothing, set auto pilot or just fly straight ahead but as soon as I manually steer the ship/toon the framerate drops from some nice 56FPS to some 12-14FPS and then I stop manually steering all is fine and running smooth. Also when manually steering and then using the mouse as camera control or holding both mouse buttons to mouse steer the ship (as well as shooter mode at ground battles) the game works perfect too but then again, if the mouse just sits there the game is getting crazy.
So far I tried different graphics settings with no luck, changed mouse driver module from built in OS X to Microsoft one (am using an MS Mouse) and back.
The behaviour reminds me of the enabled MultiSample one which brings down the game at fights ("lots" of particles, light sources and so on) when using post processing but anything else runs fine.

System: Mac Pro 2009 still on Snow Leopard
Lt. Commander
# 1713
09-25-2011, 02:19 AM
That's exactly the problem I'm having. The framerate is quite smooth if I leave the game to do it's own thing but as soon as I move or alter the camera angle it just drops to almost nothing. I don't know what could be causing it, graphics settings seem to have no effect for the most part. However, using the half resolution box makes it run smooth but looks so bad I'd rather play a game from 1998 lol.
Lt. Commander
# 1714
09-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Have your tried the Video Options -> framerate stabilizer? When more is going on during movement and such frame rates always drop a bit... even on Windows. Its just if your pushing too hard on it, it'll drop so much you'll notice it.

My screen is a 1920x1200 screen, and yet I play in 1280x800... and its like double the frame rate as full res.

The newer builds can use AA and everything and even at 1280x800 it looks really nice... but there is still some major sound bugs I'm trying to figure out, or wait until they are fixed in WIne before it can really be used, because the sound is currently unusable its so bad.... but the newer builds do have better and slightly faster graphics. If the sound issue is fixed soon, that would be good.
Lt. Commander
# 1715
09-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
Have your tried the Video Options -> framerate stabilizer? When more is going on during movement and such frame rates always drop a bit... even on Windows. Its just if your pushing too hard on it, it'll drop so much you'll notice it.

My screen is a 1920x1200 screen, and yet I play in 1280x800... and its like double the frame rate as full res.

The newer builds can use AA and everything and even at 1280x800 it looks really nice... but there is still some major sound bugs I'm trying to figure out, or wait until they are fixed in WIne before it can really be used, because the sound is currently unusable its so bad.... but the newer builds do have better and slightly faster graphics. If the sound issue is fixed soon, that would be good.

framerate stabilizer? I looked under the wineskin and in game star trek online video options and don't see this option? could it be some other place I haven't looked in yet?
Lt. Commander
# 1716
09-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall_Mc
framerate stabilizer? I looked under the wineskin and in game star trek online video options and don't see this option? could it be some other place I haven't looked in yet?
its one of the options in STO video options. its in the very bottom Troubleshooting section, which is closed by default, you have to click on it for it to expand.
Lt. Commander
# 1717 Help!!
10-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I have a Mac Book Pro Working on Lion. I downloaded the "unofficial mac version testing" and it opened as a folder with a Directions Document and A sTar trek online app. I clicked on the app and it came up with a Wineskin menu. I clicked the Install Windows Software and a menu appeared with all the possible options to chose from. My Question is what do i chose? I have no windows software on my mac and I really love Star Trek online so I want to play it on my mac!!! Please Help Me ...
-Sylvie
Lt. Commander
# 1718
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinRoseHudson
I have a Mac Book Pro Working on Lion. I downloaded the "unofficial mac version testing" and it opened as a folder with a Directions Document and A sTar trek online app. I clicked on the app and it came up with a Wineskin menu. I clicked the Install Windows Software and a menu appeared with all the possible options to chose from. My Question is what do i chose? I have no windows software on my mac and I really love Star Trek online so I want to play it on my mac!!! Please Help Me ...
-Sylvie
you need to go to the STO Downloads page and do the BitTorrent download (it must be the BitTorrent full game download.. the Downloader program will NOT work)... and download the game. Once you have the game downloaded... you will select the setup.exe file in the game download to run from the Installer.
Lt. Commander
# 1719
10-03-2011, 07:00 AM
so I have trouble loading ESD again, however, only on tribble

Just me, or anybody else experience these problems?
Lt. Commander
# 1720
10-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Nope, I'm having problems with that too Havam
Closed Thread