Lt. Commander
# 1 Test characters?
09-25-2011, 10:23 AM
I recently noticed that there is a PLAY option under the Foundry characters that lets you play through normal stuff.

Do they function as regular characters or are they test characters that could be erased at any time or locked out when Foundry goes offline?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
The test characters can be used to preview your Foundry missions. You don't need to waste your time with actually playing them like regular characters.

You need a Fed character to preview Fed missions and a Klingon character to preview klingon missions. The characters are disposable. That means you can delete them without losing any of your Foundry missions. You get one Test Character for free, in addition to your normal character slots. If you want to have more than one Test Character, you need to use one of your regular character slots.

I don't really know if they are locked when the Foundry is off, but i think you can still play them. I believe that just the editor button is grayed out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-26-2011, 01:18 PM
They were not accessible when the Foundry was offline, so they are tied in.

But didn't know you have to use one of your regular Character slots. Seems a bit unfair if you wanted to do Foundry missions for both Federation and KDF.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiuz
The test characters can be used to preview your Foundry missions. You don't need to waste your time with actually playing them like regular characters.

You need a Fed character to preview Fed missions and a Klingon character to preview klingon missions. The characters are disposable. That means you can delete them without losing any of your Foundry missions. You get one Test Character for free, in addition to your normal character slots. If you want to have more than one Test Character, you need to use one of your regular character slots.

I don't really know if they are locked when the Foundry is off, but i think you can still play them. I believe that just the editor button is grayed out.
I know you don't have to use them as regular characters.

But if they are stable as one, thats essentially a free character slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post

But didn't know you have to use one of your regular Character slots. Seems a bit unfair if you wanted to do Foundry missions for both Federation and KDF.
No, you don't unless you use them as a perma-character. IE, make a Fed, delete, make a klingon, delete, make a fed
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post

When the Foundry launched, it came with one chharacter slot extra. The Fioundry chaaracter is just a basic zero level 'test character' so you can playtest your Foundry mission prior to publishing it on a very basic level (ie make sure all the triggers work, the dialogs pop as expected and look okay, etc.

I really do wish there was a way to auto level the test character as (imo) it sucks having to publish and playtest with your actual character to do any sort of 'combat balancing' (IE making sure your groups aren't either too tough or too weak, etc; AND it's the only way to test final pathing and spawn points (which again is bad because I HAVE found pathing problems post publish that I had to fix by sometimes completely switch and redoing a map (which ain't easy in the Foundry.)

It really does suck that there is no way to test patching withouit actually publishing; and risking that one star review IF a reviewer sees your mission and decides to play it at the same time you're testing it, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-26-2011, 10:42 PM
But that's what I'm pointing out, you get 1 character for Foundry Testing purposes, but yet the testing character is limited to 1 faction. So if you want KDF content, you have to use a KDF testing character. If you need a Federation test character, it has to be federation. So technically we should've gotten 2 Foundry-only character slots.

That or a universal test character (providing it was possible).

And I agree that it would be nice for an auto leveling function to test low-end and high-end with Space Focus, Ground Focus, or mixed specialities.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-26-2011, 11:06 PM
A way to auto level the testing character....hm...its funny. When you create the character, pay attention to the top of the screen. You'll see: "This character will be only be used in the Content Editor to test your created maps and projects. You will be able to easily change this character's rank and equipment."

So....how do we "easily" change the character's rank and equipment?