Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 High Quality = freeze
08-24-2011, 03:04 AM
I have a GTX 260

Before all these bugs started happening I played on high quality ingame setting just fine with no lag or game freezes, but recently if I have the ingame settings on any thing more than the lowest option (speed not quality) my game will randomly freeze on the ground in STFs, ESD, any place. I even updated my grapfics drivers with no success. Is this a common problem or could it be some thing on my end I need to fix?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-25-2011, 08:21 AM
try running a directX diagnostic to see if all the files are ok.also maybe something else you installed after STO is contributing to your problems.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactOfRedemption View Post
I have a GTX 260

Before all these bugs started happening I played on high quality ingame setting just fine with no lag or game freezes, but recently if I have the ingame settings on any thing more than the lowest option (speed not quality) my game will randomly freeze on the ground in STFs, ESD, any place. I even updated my grapfics drivers with no success. Is this a common problem or could it be some thing on my end I need to fix?
I have the exact same card (GTX 260) - latest Nvidia drivers, and with everything (except AA which I have at 4X) maxed, and I've had no issues with ground or space maps. Do you have any GPU Tempurature monitoring software available as it could be an overheat issue when in STO?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I have the exact same card (GTX 260) - latest Nvidia drivers, and with everything (except AA which I have at 4X) maxed, and I've had no issues with ground or space maps. Do you have any GPU Tempurature monitoring software available as it could be an overheat issue when in STO?
Yeah you might be right about the heat issue cuz both my 560Ti cards run hot with this game but not too drastic.Try opening up you case to see if you have dust build up thats acting like a insulator for heat.Dont rule out that its a software conflict with something else you installed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactOfRedemption View Post
I have a GTX 260

Before all these bugs started happening I played on high quality ingame setting just fine with no lag or game freezes, but recently if I have the ingame settings on any thing more than the lowest option (speed not quality) my game will randomly freeze on the ground in STFs, ESD, any place. I even updated my grapfics drivers with no success. Is this a common problem or could it be some thing on my end I need to fix?
I had the EXACT same Problemm.

Go to your settings and sett Soft partikles to OFF and Shadows to Low. and set under Troubleshooting the MAX FPS to 30 this prevents overheating

The GTX 260 Boards from Gigabyte, Gainward and XTC are known for their Ovrheating, the Fan will stay at 40% (1500rpm) no matter how hot the GPU is
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
09-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Couple things to try:

Nvidia control panel go to the tab with the setting in it. Select performance mode instead of app controlled for the fans.

If not SLI then make sure that single monitor display is selected.

Revert back to 275.xx drivers!!!

I tried the 280.26 and .33 and BOTH would cause my PC to randomly shut down without a BSOD or crash event written. I am using a 580 GTX card though so it could be related to that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
09-28-2011, 10:42 AM
redacted as I'd already posted something similar before the tread got necroed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
09-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Only place I have these problems is mostly in the instance at Erikson on KDF Side the moment you come into weapons range of the closest freighters and escort it will freeze up for exactly 2.5 seconds been that way since I started playing KDF side back in march. Anywhere else everything is smooth I also run vista anti-lag helps smooth out any packet loss which also could be the problem. Only a few percentage of packet loss can cause this problem too since it seems more like a internet connection problem than a hard drive problem other than that I'd check the gpu temp on the video card and computer core temprature too thats another thing besides packet loss if its overheating. On STO my GPU on nvidia runs at 80 which is very cool and normalized but the computer core can run anywhere from 50 to 65 which seems to be only concern when it gets above 60 since 70 is critical.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
09-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Blackman
I had the EXACT same Problemm.

Go to your settings and sett Soft partikles to OFF and Shadows to Low. and set under Troubleshooting the MAX FPS to 30 this prevents overheating

The GTX 260 Boards from Gigabyte, Gainward and XTC are known for their Ovrheating, the Fan will stay at 40% (1500rpm) no matter how hot the GPU is
I had the same problem with my GTX 250 except anything over minimum would cause the computer to crash. If it's a simple overheating problem you'd think it would happen in other games too. I downgraded to an old Radeon HD 4670 until I can be bothered to buy a new card.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 AM.