Lt. Commander
Hopefully Cryptic will see this thread but I think feedback from foundry authors is appreciated.

Players who have been with the game for over a year get the fireworks doodad, and in other situations we get extra costume slots, c-store credits etc.

I know that when F2Play launches there may be certain restrictions on the Foundry...why not set up some kind of automation (like the accolade system) that rewards authors who:

- Publish at least 1 completed mission that does not violate ToS
- Get so many reviews for a mission (eg 10 reviews - you get something - 20 you get something 50 you get something etc)
- Consistent good reviews (eg five and four star reviews)
- Publishing more missions - like using all 8 mission slots.

Of course something - almost anything along these lines, would be nice.

Rewards may include additional mission slots, credits in the C-store (with which to BUY additional misson slots), having our missions featured somewhere on the STO site (crytpic used to do this), and MAYBE, access to more, bigger, and better assets.

Perhaps also some kind of in-game status that can be put to good use - similar to diplomatic immunity, or access to game features not normally available.

What's the advantage? Well you reward people who are contributing good CONTENT to the game. These very users may be paying you for a monthly or lifetime sub (if the foundry is not free), when at some level it just seems morally right to give something back to those players and authors who are making your game better.

You also encourage authors to play the game and create content...I am sure there are many other advantages to this but perhaps someone could help me out here.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-26-2011, 12:47 AM
I can see people purposly posting bad reviews or good ones because of this. Plus, say you get a bad review and you fix the problem that you got the bad review for... You still have the bad review even though the problem no longer exists.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Two birds with one stone...
09-28-2011, 08:34 AM
If Cryptic wanted authors to be rewarded, the way to do that is quite simple. Once an author burnt through his 8 slots, the author can then use their Cryptic Points to purchase another mission slot (no more than a slot per month) and players who play through a mission can directly reward their favorite authors with Cryptic Points. This way the entire reward system is as exploitable as human nature would have it and yet for each extra slot, someone paid a proper price that came out of someone's pocket.

Any other system would be unfair to too many people who may be creating awesome content with no traffic provoking publicity, and worse... crappy content that receives too much publicity and hype, just like in real life.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Plus the Foundry is still in beta so don't be surprised if it gets irrevocably changed into something that won't even recognise these v0.5 missions at some point. Unless they want to give us a 3D editor, I don't see the point, myself. It's too much like hard work.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo View Post
It's too much like hard work.
Creation is always harder than Destruction.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
If Cryptic wanted authors to be rewarded, the way to do that is quite simple. Once an author burnt through his 8 slots, the author can then use their Cryptic Points to purchase another mission slot (no more than a slot per month) and players who play through a mission can directly reward their favorite authors with Cryptic Points. This way the entire reward system is as exploitable as human nature would have it and yet for each extra slot, someone paid a proper price that came out of someone's pocket.

Any other system would be unfair to too many people who may be creating awesome content with no traffic provoking publicity, and worse... crappy content that receives too much publicity and hype, just like in real life.
^^^^
I agree with this.

While I think the OPs heart is in the right place; a system like he/she describes is too open to griefing, group and Fleet favoritism, and other negative manipulation on both ends.

Lord of Pit's suggestion is (IMO) better because it has people putting real money where there mouth is per say; meaning there's a barrier to 'gaming the system' as players are more likely not to use C-Points just to game/grief the system.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-28-2011, 10:49 AM
It's been suggested many times before. It's not going to happen.

They won't give any rewards that involve C-Points because that would involve players making money (C-Points = $$$) through use of the properties Cryptic has licensed for the game, and their licenses prohibit sublicensing or assignment of any of the CBS IP. They also won't do anything involving any of the merit currencies like emblems, since with the new dilithium system those will all be exchangeable for C-Points as well.

They also aren't going to do anything involving reward-for-reviews, since they just don't have the manpower to do it; and if the rewards were nontrivial, it would invite rampant review farming (good and bad reviews). Reputation alone will have to be the primary reward for authors who turn out consistently great missions.

If you like a mission and want to "tip" the author, you can always mail them a nice purple item; those of course can either be used or at least sold for EC.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
If you like a mission and want to "tip" the author, you can always mail them a nice purple item; those of course can either be used or at least sold for EC.
I just wanted to point out that while this is definitely nice, it however doesn't help the author create more missions. It'd be in Cryptic's best economical interest if authors were encouraged to buy more mission slots and publish more missions.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
There is a simple way -

Most sto players have 8 foundry slots that they NEVER will use. They can 'donate' their mission slots to authors that they believe will do well.

There is also the possibility of 'fleet mission slots' or something for fleets to collaborate on in some manner.

Besides - granting a special power on par with diplomatic immunity (for prolific or well reviewed authors) can be automated and does not cost anyone anything.

However I do understand some of these arguments. There are missions out there with few reviews, brand new, that are very good. And others not so great but are somehow well reviewed (torture the klingon comes to mind, or go in, pick up something off the table, and you win!).

There should be some kind of 'gesture of thanks' to good foundry authors however.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugeyewalker View Post
There is a simple way...
I believe the way I suggested is the simplest because it presents a clear plan of what Cryptic should implement, it allows authors and Cryptic to profit while truly enabling fans to support their favorite authors with a meaningful contribution without tasking Cryptic with any sort of monitoring or tracking that would require human intervention.

Quote:
Most sto players have 8 foundry slots that they NEVER will use. They can 'donate' their mission slots to authors that they believe will do well.
Currently, the way the Foundry is set up it is impossible to donate a Foundry mission-slot in a satisfactory manner.

Quote:
There is also the possibility of 'fleet mission slots' or something for fleets to collaborate on in some manner.
That is a great idea, but again it's complex and the Foundry right now does not enable or support it.

Quote:
Besides - granting a special power on par with diplomatic immunity (for prolific or well reviewed authors) can be automated and does not cost anyone anything.
This will definitely create a coding nightmare not to mention how people may react to it, especially with the upcoming F2P and Silver accounts not being able to create Foundry missions. Anything that would impact the game experience negatively for people who choose not to use the Foundry for whatever reason, should be discouraged.

Quote:
However I do understand some of these arguments. There are missions out there with few reviews, brand new, that are very good. And others not so great but are somehow well reviewed (torture the klingon comes to mind, or go in, pick up something off the table, and you win!).

There should be some kind of 'gesture of thanks' to good foundry authors however.
You're absolutely right, there should be a thankful gesture and as I said, I believe it could be enabled by Cryptic allowing authors to buy Foundry slots with Cryptic Points and for fans to support their authors by clicking a CP donation button at the end of a favorite mission, rather than a star-based review!