Lt. Commander
One thing to add, that worked for me, is doing these same steps, minus the renaming step. I just simply copy and paste over the original (star trek online.exe) file.

Windows Vista: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostpinky View Post
hey guys

I can confirm by helping a few members of my fleet that the idea of replacing the failing Star Trek launcher exe with one from a computer that works is the workaround to this problem.

If you can get the Star Trek Online.exe file from another working copy of STO this will fix your issue.

I've posted my copy to http://www.ausmonauts.com/fix/ which is how I helped my fleet mates.

When you open the url right click on the Star Trek Online.exe link and choose save as, save it somewhere on your computer and run your antivirus or anti spyware over it if you want to.

rename the file in your current Cryptic Studio's folder (for Windows 7 this is C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios) to old-Star Trek Online.exe and then copy the file you just downloaded to the Cryptic Studios folder and run your launcher from your usual icon.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 72
09-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Just rebooting your system might work ^^
Lt. Commander
# 73
09-19-2011, 06:08 AM
yeah the two guys in my fleet tried rebooting a few times... pc, modems, etc... the third guy reloaded his windows to fix it. I figured it must be related to some corrupt data that got downloaded to their patcher due to network issues or whatever and told them to try my launcher... thankfully it worked and I'm glad its helped some of you also.
Lt. Commander
# 74
09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
thank you so much for the link - itotally worked for me
Lt. Commander
# 75
09-28-2011, 06:32 PM
I initially downloaded your fix Pinky, and it worked for a while... Then the same issue happened again, so I re-downloaded your fix, and this time, no luck....
I am going to try an re-install the game and see if i have any luck. Honestly though, I am getting to the point where I think I will just end my sub. I cant see the point of being continuously frustrated by seemingly continuous bugs.

I will let you all know how the re-install goes.

Ok, I did the re-install and subsequent patch, and it seems to be working again... least until the next bug/corruption/screw-up comes along.

If it seems like I am unhappy, I am... I am not interested in paying $15 a month for a test centre.
Lt. Commander
# 76
09-29-2011, 02:01 AM
LOL, I totally understand.

I think part of the issue here is that one common thing the guys in my fleet had was their internet connections were a bit dodgy at times.

It is possible, and I'm just putting a theory out there, that the data check for downloaded data is not quite working properly in the launcher/patcher.

Good Luck, i hope you get some time in the game to learn and enjoy its complexities.
Lt. Commander
# 77
09-29-2011, 10:22 AM
i did the fix but it simply says it is unable to establish a connection to the patch server now
Lt. Commander
# 78
09-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Launcher do not update. Cannot connect to account server. 2nd time in 2 weeks. Opened a ticket but no response. Thank you Cryptic
Lt. Commander
# 79 I know what you mean
09-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekythorne View Post
i did the fix but it simply says it is unable to establish a connection to the patch server now
Yeah I got the same message and it's not just with Star Trek Online. I get the same message with trying to load up Champions Online. This is a problem on Cryptic's end because I know for fact that my Internet Connection is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 80
09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Reinstalled STO. Still the same.
Closed Thread