# 22
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
yea the follow you around and prob you insides lol
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
they are not 'dumb' they are non sentient versions, there is a difference. like a replicator. it can understand commands but it has no self awareness. the proper exocomps do have self awareness.

so they are not slaves, they are just tools that know how to fire a weapon.
That's the problem.

a metaphor:

Human being intentioally making "dumber" non-self aware versions of our selves for the purpose of being "tools".

Sounds very much like the selected breeding that happen in the southern United States before the Civil War, and the emancipation of the black SLAVES.

Genetic manipulation was banned centuries before the STO timeline in the Star Trek universe and slavery a century before that, for similar reasons. Intentionally making someone "Better" (the Eugenics Wars) or "Worse" (dumb/uneducated but physically strong slaves) was deemed "wrong" by both the Trek universe and in real life.

How does this same method of thought not apply to a sentient machine intentionally making "dumber" versions of themselves to "do the dirty work" within the Federation?

"A Data on every starship"...
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe2004 View Post
The least you can do is make them active during combat, and have it give you a subsystem repair buff... if it's a ground pet it could repair machines that are laid by engineers.

But Exocomps are TOOLS for quickly and efficiently repairing broken systems increasing repair time and reducing risk of injury in hazardous environments. Why not make it functional? This is just silly as a non-functional pet!

If it was functional.... even just a minor ship repair buff for having it in your inventory, I'd buy it. But as of now it's a tool that doesn't work. I'd look like a fool haveing a non-functioning exocomp following me around.
Yes!

If what they released was a Exocomp Enginering Bridge Officer, (the fully intelligent "species") then there wouldn't be a real problem.
Lt. Commander
# 25 Pets
I do not like that disapear in combat. ok very canon but I want my pet with me when I am saving the world.
Lt. Commander
# 26
I think its cute and I would buy it-but only if a Klingon version were released as well. I do need stuff to follow my Orion around-other than a horta.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altexist View Post
Oh BOY!!! Grab my credit card! I am going to rush over to the C-Store and buy this!!!!! Me first! Me first!!

No, sorry, I am not. (apologizes for the snarkness.) But here is some feedback that may not get me banned: This item strikes me as silly and pointless and reaching for "low hanging fruit" again as the art asset was already in the game.

If this is a sign of the quality and level of thought of things yet to come in the upcoming game changes, I am very worried.
I am forced to agree with my esteemed colleage.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Fire
A non-combat pet, the sentient Exocomp Companion can be summoned by your Federation captains - only if you ask nicely, of course. Available now in the C-Store.

Excellent! Loking forward to seeing my fedfriends enjoying it.

Link to the news article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-of-Nine
Since the art assets are already in game for it, I'm assuming the klingon versions will be coming soon?
Personaly I'n not interested in an Exocomp combat pet and would rather see the federation keep thier new toy.
Targ Handler kit concept going live, Thats one I look forward to.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
This isn't horrible. It's a cute little thing. I probably won't buy one, but no reason for it to not be offered. I'd rather there were non-combat pets in the C-Store than the Rhode Island... but, hey, I'm a lifer, my opinion means jack anyway. =)
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
That's the problem.

a metaphor:

Human being intentioally making "dumber" non-self aware versions of our selves for the purpose of being "tools".

Sounds very much like the selected breeding that happen in the southern United States before the Civil War, and the emancipation of the black SLAVES.

Genetic manipulation was banned centuries before the STO timeline in the Star Trek universe and slavery a century before that, for similar reasons. Intentionally making someone "Better" (the Eugenics Wars) or "Worse" (dumb/uneducated but physically strong slaves) was deemed "wrong" by both the Trek universe and in real life.

How does this same method of thought not apply to a sentient machine intentionally making "dumber" versions of themselves to "do the dirty work" within the Federation?

"A Data on every starship"...
because these are not dumber versions. thats your word. they are non sentient. dumber is not the same thing as non sentient. data is sentient, as far as any android can be. B4 was sentient but was dumber than data. these exocomps are just the basic version that has no self awareness at all.

look at the computer on every ship. its incredibly intelligent but its not self aware. it has no personality, or conciousness. its just a interactive database. is every federation ship a slave? is every replicator? no because they are not self aware, just tools. they have a certain level of understanding of commands but they dont ever think for themselves.

edit - these are basically flying phasers with a targeting sensor that just look like the sentient versions. they dont think for themselves, they just follow pre-programmed commands. ie shot things.