Lt. Commander
Ok so I just finished playing through the revamped tutorial. Not what I expected or hoped for because I thought we were getting a brand new one. However, I gotta work with what I have.

So....

1) Did not like starting in shooter mode. Yes a helpful tip eventually pops up telling you how to get to RPG mode but still think RPG mode should be the default.

2) I did like that as a tactical officer I started in the security office. I assume sicence and engineering start in thier own areas as well. I like this idea a lot.

3) The revamped bridge. Very cool much nicer than in the old tutorial.

4) Everything up to landing on Vega colony is pretty much the same.

5) I didn't like not getting a choice of kits. Being forced to take one type seems un-starfleet. Give us the choices back.

6) Bugs/problems: In the rally point fight after being on Vega there are not enough points. You have to fight with other captains to get credit for the cube. Add more rally points or give multiple credits for the same kill.

Overall ok but where the heck is starting the tutorial in Starfleet Academy?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
6) Bugs/problems: In the rally point fight after being on Vega there are not enough points. You have to fight with other captains to get credit for the cube. Add more rally points or give multiple credits for the same kill.
um.. there are like 5-6 rally points. there are plenty to go to, unless a lot of people are running that section at the same time... check your overall map. just cause you cant see all the nav beacons from the starting point, doesnt mean they arent there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Ok so I just finished playing through the revamped tutorial. Not what I expected or hoped for because I thought we were getting a brand new one. However, I gotta work with what I have.

So....

1) Did not like starting in shooter mode. Yes a helpful tip eventually pops up telling you how to get to RPG mode but still think RPG mode should be the default.

2) I did like that as a tactical officer I started in the security office. I assume sicence and engineering start in thier own areas as well. I like this idea a lot.

3) The revamped bridge. Very cool much nicer than in the old tutorial.

4) Everything up to landing on Vega colony is pretty much the same.

5) I didn't like not getting a choice of kits. Being forced to take one type seems un-starfleet. Give us the choices back.

Overall ok but where the heck is starting the tutorial in Starfleet Academy?
Agree with the above. Also, my beef with using the existing tutoril after so many changes:

- Still doesn't inforn/show the player how to use the Tricorder Scan ability to locate objects or objectives on Ground maps.

- Still doesn't inforn/show the player how to use the Ship Scan Area ability to locate objects or objectives, or Anomol;ies on Space maps.

- No scanning of any anomoly on Ground or Space maps to familiarize player with the scanning minin-game. (And since the very first post tutorial mission a player gets is the S.S. Azura mission which HAS such anomolies on the map; waiting 5 levels - until a player get the 'Scienticfic Mandate' to be introdiuced to crafting is rather counter intuative; and some players might be upset that the Tutorial didn't show them this so they could start getting crafting anomolies from the start in missions that have them, so they have a stock when they unlock crafting.)

- No mention of or indication of the Doff system, even though there is an icon for it on the mini-map; and a button on the new mission journal (even before it's unlocked.

- No mention of the Diplomacy system or diplomacy missions.

^^^
The above may seem trivial or 'early' - BUT (IMO) - if you're revamping STO for F2P and doing a relaunch, the tutorial SHOPULD introduce (or at least mention) all systems they will be exposed to in the game so players interested in those aspects are aware and able to seek out and know where to look for and make use of these aspects.

If they get into the game and find they could have done or started some of this stuff earlier (especially if one or more of these things not mentioned appeal to them) - they may get frustrated/annopyed that tne tutorial DIDN'T fiully introduce all major game systems. Even if it's not a totally new from scratch Tutorial fopr F2P, it SHOULD be updated so that some of the good things that were changed/updated AFTER it was first created; are shown and mentioned to a new player. (IMO)