Lt. Commander
# 1 I must be incredibly unlucky
09-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I just started a character on tribble and I'm not even able to get through the first map of the tutorial. Am I missing something? The mission objectives say "Move Around" which I have done for the past 15 minutes. But there are no interactable objects, no one gives me an option to talk to them (i see they are waving their arms at me tho), and no direction in the mission notes.

If this is user error, I can't be the only one who is going to get stuck in the new tutorial like this...
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Your post is a perfect example of why the game should not start us in Shooter Mode. And if Cryptic insists on starting us in Shooter Mode why the very first "tip" a player should see is how to gain access to the mouse cursor and/or how to interact with the NPCs.

You can use the "B" key to toggle between Shooter and RPG modes. In RPG mode you have access to the mouse cursor and can click on the NPCs and any other UI objects you see. Also, if you move close enough you should be able to press "F" to interact.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-30-2011, 03:01 AM
This is your problem.

You should be teached how to reach your cursor the first thing of them all, but this tutorial teaches it to you right after the first time in which you won't be able to continue unless you know how.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Exiting FPS mode isn't the issue (unless I did it too quickly). I can walk around but no NPC or console will interact with me (pressing F, V, clicking on obvious objects, hailing starfleet, checking notifications, etc. yield nothing).

Not wanting to waste time in the tutorial I closed the help menu after 5 seconds. The interesting thing about the thread you linked, after I was stuck with no direction, I spent 20 minutes trying to get the tutorial BACK with no luck. The closest I got was the list of help topics. However, I will try the keys that were mentioned before I delete my character and start over.

For what it is worth, I 100% agree that starting in FPS mode was a bad idea. If anything I should be taught how to go INTO shooter mode when I approach my first combat sequence, not have to use everywhere I go. I guarantee you the majority of players stay out of shooter mode when not in combat. And especially for those who do healing/support, shooter mode can be an extreme nuisance. Besides, how many people walk around ESD holding the tailor at gunpoint while changing outfits???
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
The starting area is kind of screwed up. You can be standing right next to an NPC and not be able to interact, but if you walk in a circle around the NPC the interact options will appear/disappear as you move. And sometimes you have to back away and do the circling. It's like the game's positioning of your and the NPC's avatar is not being visually represented correctly. In other words, you see yourself standing close but the game doesn't think you are and thus you cannot interact.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-30-2011, 04:03 PM
I believe I figured out the problem. After deleting my character and starting a new one, I determined that I closed the "help" menu box before I completed the "move around" step. I left the dialogue open this time and stepped backward in the little alcove (as opposed to heading towards the next known objective.

There must either be a trigger that I was able to bypass or the dialogues are required to be open when you start out.