Lt. Commander
There are a few bugs, but all games have bugs....even Everquest, which has been running forever, still has them. I didn't look when the orignal post was dated, but as of now, the game is great. It blends two genres (fps, and space combat sim smoothly and believeably - strike that! - THREE genres! FPS, Space combat sim, and an RPG. I don't think any other game does this.

What made me hesistate on getting this game was the fact that there have been several attempts at decent "Star Trek-themed" (computer/console) games (noteably: Starfleet Command and Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates). Some have been fantastic, most of them, not so much. Then I heard about the f2p jabber on WoWinsider, and thought, "Sure, let's give it a try." I didn't get it for free, but it's now one of the best MMO games on my computer.

- jdryner (Sevrin Althoris - UFP, Tarak Gorchon - KDF)

To gmacd : Dude, that (your avatar pic) is just pure awesome!! Nice choice!
Lt. Commander
# 92
09-28-2011, 05:09 AM
It currently seems very wobbly.
Lt. Commander
# 93
09-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Oh thats nice, I have almost never played this game despite buying a lifetime sub for it, and now it'll be free to play?!

Thanks cryptic for pointing out I wasted my money for nothing (yes I know the f2p will be limited, but then the full game is limited also so I dont see any difference)

Oh great, just read the difference between gold and silver membership, dont really see that much to get people to pay for the monthly sub!
Lt. Commander
# 94
09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
He joined last month and most of his complaints are either inaccurate or outright false (since when do enemy ships "turbo" away from you? A few use evasive manuevers, but that's it).

He's either complaining about things he hasn't taken the time to actually research, or he's a troll. I'm gonna lean towards the latter.

Don't feed the troll, folks.
i JUST HAD A KLINGON CRUSIER, REGEN SHIELDS TO FULL AND THEN i COULD NOT TOUCH THEM FOR THAT MOMENT ON. THE GAME HAS SERIOUS FLAWS THAT SINCE THE LAST PATCH HAVE GOTTEN WORST. I have had to drop logoff login 3 times today alone on missions that would not advance. Open your eyes all. The F2P is the only way that they can justify the large and stupid bugs that have NOT been fixed since the game was released. I have been trying to play and advance since beta, it is not getting any better with this last patch

Nichog
Lt. Commander
# 95
09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Oh thats nice, I have almost never played this game despite buying a lifetime sub for it, and now it'll be free to play?!

Thanks cryptic for pointing out I wasted my money for nothing (yes I know the f2p will be limited, but then the full game is limited also so I dont see any difference)

Oh great, just read the difference between gold and silver membership, dont really see that much to get people to pay for the monthly sub!

Yesterday 04:09 AM
actually it will get cheaper for you (if u bought stuff on the c-store before), due to the 400 stipend you will get every month. it means you dont need to buy any cryptic points in the future, just wait a few month, go to the C-store and purchase stuff. Maybe 2-3 things will suck, but the benefits outweigh everything. But if you decide to drop the game, just send me a letter ingame, i may wanna buy your lifetime account.

In generall I'm surprised by the negative response of so many lifetimers, when i look at it, you didnt loose anything if u played since release, the amount you paid at the beginning is nearly paid off, if you consider the monthly fees. And when F2p hits you will get like 5 dollars worth of cryptic points, play another 3 years and you will have your money back and you playd 5 years basically for free. I know this is only theoreticly, but still true.

What iam saying is, i understand that u would have never bought a LT if you knew what was happening. And that is totally agreeable, but right now you lose nothing, you gain actually something from it.
Lt. Commander
# 96
09-30-2011, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
He was refering to the "in game" community. And...it's dead as a doornail. Or, to be more fair, there isn't one. This is the lonliest, most solo "MMO" I ever played.
Is this a MMO?
Lt. Commander
# 97
09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
He joined last month and most of his complaints are either inaccurate or outright false (since when do enemy ships "turbo" away from you? A few use evasive manuevers, but that's it).

He's either complaining about things he hasn't taken the time to actually research, or he's a troll. I'm gonna lean towards the latter.

Don't feed the troll, folks.
If you pull them far enough off their spawn point (about 20km or so), they'll warp back to their spawn point with full health. It used to be pretty easy to do this with Borg cubes, but I haven't been playing much lately. Also, any enemy ship can (theoretically) do this. I've seen Negh'Vars do it rarely.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkeRealm View Post
If you pull them far enough off their spawn point (about 20km or so), they'll warp back to their spawn point with full health. It used to be pretty easy to do this with Borg cubes, but I haven't been playing much lately. Also, any enemy ship can (theoretically) do this. I've seen Negh'Vars do it rarely.
I do not think this qualifies as a "troll'. Just because a player may not have the game experience or the expertise to render an inform opinion or report, then that does not qualify them as a "troll".

People in MMORPG's are to quick to throw out the title of "troll" these days. The player may be new on that account. That does not make them completely new to MMORPG's. I have people in my fleet that have been playing for over a year and a half, and they too do not understand some of the dynamics that go on with the game.

I do not think they are "trolls". Myself, I spend most of my day playing Star Trek Online, Champions Online, or Guild Wars. I spend a good deal of that time studying the game and how certain things work. Without having a manual to the game, all I can ever hope to do is "speculate" to what is happening with the game mechanics.

If anything, the OP does make the point the game needs a detail reference manual from Cryptic Studio's, and not some third party person, who does not really know what is actually going on with the program.

When I study the game, I think and feel the developers have done a great job at the way the game is structured in reference of character development and skills. I am working on a reference guide with my fleet, and a set of companion stories in the Foundry to help train new recruits in game in our fleet school.

I think when they add a Fleet Admiral layer to the game, it does not result in a T6 layer. I think this will be a mistake. I think that they should just let us have more experience points for skills to round out the character on the top side of the scale so that maybe we can have more then one captain T5 skill in the different ships. That way we can use more of the ship's we have acquired in our history.

I do not think or feel the OP is 'trolling' at all. I think the person has not had enough time to understand the game and how things really work.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 99
09-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacd View Post
Is this a MMO?
Not in my opinion. This is just another combat game with an elaborate lobby.