Lt. Commander
# 1 Free ship token
09-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Do we still get these when we rank up, or is dilithium the only way to get ships at rank up? If this is the case it's a dumb idea. We should still get the free ship token at rank up then need to spend dilithium to buy another ship from that rank or lower.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-30-2011, 08:58 PM
I haven't found anything yet, nor have I gotten my character on Tribble past Lieutenant (yet), but from what I've heard in conversation with other players is that no, you will not receive a token for a new ship at each promotion - the only way to get a new ship is to grind out Dilithium and buy it.

I don't know if a dev is going to read this, but even if not, if this is confirmed I would urge everyone to make a major issue out of this. I have a lifetime subscription, so it's not like Cryptic is going to lose $15 a month from me if I rage-quit, but I'll be honest, I will likely end up rage-uninstalling if there is no free ship token at promotions. That adds pointless grind to the game, and pretty much everyone I've talked to agrees that the LAST thing STO needs is more grind. KDF is too grindy by far - even on live, I have never gotten a KDF character past Lieutenant Commander. There just isn't enough PVE content outside of explorations and the "kill 10 Federation squadrons" missions, and I dislike the PVP in this game.

Honestly, I think that giving Gold members a ship token at each rank would make going Gold much more appealing for your average player, which is what you should be looking for. To be bluntly honest, the current version of the F2P matrix does not impress me, and I see few advantages to having a subscription over not. This could provide the needed incentive to get those free players to drop 15 a month, at least for a while, and reel them into subscribing when otherwise they would feel no real motivation to pay.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-30-2011, 09:21 PM
There will be no more ship tokens when you level.

You will be buying your next tier ship using dilithium now.

On Tribble now when you get to Lt. Com. it will cost you 70,000 dilithium to get your tier 2 ship.That amount is given to you when you talk to the admiral after leveling.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWorth

On Tribble now when you get to Lt. Com. it will cost you 70,000 dilithium to get your tier 2 ship.That amount is given to you when you talk to the admiral after leveling.
Which is just like getting a free ship token. This begs the question: If they are giving you the equivalnet amount of dilithium to buy a ship, why not just leave the ship token thing as is?

It's really stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWorth

That's all fine and dandy. But when you hit Commander, they give you 80,000 dilithium, and the ships at that level cost.... 100,000. So I cannot buy a Commander level ship at Commander. Great.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinos View Post
That's all fine and dandy. But when you hit Commander, they give you 80,000 dilithium, and the ships at that level cost.... 100,000. So I cannot buy a Commander level ship at Commander. Great.
and there is no one telling you where to get the dam dilithium to get a new ship, wich is pretty much required to continue your lvling and grinding etc.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Yes, I think bring back the Tokens for Subscribers so they get token + Dilithium, and Boost the amount of dilithium so f2pers can get their ship... Honestly i liked the old economy... What dev thought that 12-16 currencies was to many never played WoW to lvl 85... Over 20 currencies at least, and u dont see them whining about it!
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-01-2011, 06:09 AM
so far i got dilithium thrue boff system and thrue the daily repair satelite mission
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Currency consolidation is nice, but one of the appealing things about the ship token was that it was much more Trek-ish to be "issued" a standard ship at each tier, with standard gear. We're supposed to be in STARFLEET, people; do you think they made Picard pay cash out of pocket for the Stargazer?

Obviously extra ships have to be paid for in some way, so making you buy other ones you want for dilithium is needed. But they can't spot us ONE free standard ship at each tier? One free ship plus a somewhat reduced bonus of dilithium to spend as we please would be more appealing and make a lot more sense.

Since you can never sell ships anyway, there isn't any issue with gold farmers just getting them to cash out. I can't actually see how it was a good or needed change to take away the ship token, other than someone just decided it "needed" to be done.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-01-2011, 08:26 AM
I was under the impression, from the devs words, that we get dilithium through normal progression through the game. I am Lt 6 now and haven't received any dilithium. I shouldn't be surprised Cryptic has once again changed their minds on how things are done after saying one thing.