Lt. Commander
# 11
09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzak
Would you pay money for an extra rear weapon slot on your Miranda? If so cryptic, may be inclined to build a Miranda .5 ; another ship for the c-store.

I don't think it's worth it. It's the starter ship. It's supposed to be cr@p. Is it under powered as far as weapons go? Well that depends on what your comparing it to.

I'd rather they committed assets elsewhere.
^ this +100.

The Miranda, and it's sister c-store starter ships, are meant to get used then kicked to the drydock when ya hit T2 and you get the extra rear slot (well for cruisers and science I believe) for torpedos.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therunn
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class states there were beam banks below the impulse engines.
I'll take your word for it.

In that case the 1 forward array represents, a total of 8 dual beam banks, 2 of which had about the same firing arcs as a beam array in STO

I would have really preferred if weapons in STO were more similar to canon, and power were used as the limitation, but that's not the way Cryptic went.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-30-2011, 07:32 PM
I like to think that instead of arrays\cannons and launchers, we equip power systems and magazines. While a ship may have a large amount of emmiters with full coverage it doesn't have the power to fire them all simultanously. For Launchers, the more magazines you mount, the faster the launcher can fire.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Ship weapon loadouts are totally up the player, and the number of slots are a matter of balance.

This is a gameplay > canon scenario. Sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Fundamentally, the only NON-abstract thing about a fantasy starship is the actuall hull that we see; everything else (i.e. shield strangth, shield modifiers, weapon power, maximum turn rate, etc.etc. ) is totally arbitrary, and therefore up to the imagination(s) of the creator(s).

Why does a Defiant have the same level of hull integrity as a Prometheus?
Why have a T5 Retrofit B'rel but no T5 Retrofit Miranda?

- because it's all Cryptic's game. (plus the CBS omnipresence) We get the privlege of playing it, and making constructive suggestions on what we'd *like* to see.

I agree with the opening post; I would not have locked the starships into tiers, and would have chosen to make some ships, incluing the Miranda, more powerful.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-01-2011, 11:59 AM
There should clearly be a T5 Miranda. If the dinky and goofy looking Defiant gets to be awesome then the Miranda should get to be more awesome. It should also get a couple of newer style costumes.