Lt. Commander
# 231
09-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Gozer said he would "try" to get us a replacement for the eblems at "some point".......while that would be nice, i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you
Lt. Commander
# 232
09-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentai View Post
Gozer said he would "try" to get us a replacement for the eblems at "some point".......while that would be nice, i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you
Gozer's not in charge of Vet rewards. He can "try" all he wants, but if the higher-ups say "No, they ain't getting ****", there's little he can do to change their minds. So, yes. I'm not holding my breath until I see anything given as a replacement when I see it happen first-hand.
Lt. Commander
# 233
09-30-2011, 04:41 PM
i will wait an see i had plans to upgrade my ship weapons and crew
before i say any thing about this
Lt. Commander
# 234
10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Perhaps putting a simple line in the Release notes stating the following;

"To be replaced with equal or greater EQ in new currency system""

Would have avoided so many threads, and angry posts. .
Lt. Commander
# 235
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
The amount of rage I have doesn't have a word to descibe it.

Why in God's good name would Cryptic do this??? Does this mean that emblems aren't worth as much after the F2P conversion....which would suck a lot....
Lt. Commander
# 236
10-03-2011, 01:56 PM
I can't put the new currency as a reward anyway.

Roll toon, get reward, sell for Cpoints, delete char, repeat. You could already do that to stock up on items and thus EC, but it wasn't transferable to Cpoints.

Maybe they'll add something back in if they decide to listen and make subscribing actually worth it again. We'll see.
Lt. Commander
# 237 Cryptic == Bad Business
10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I waited before posting my thoughts because I was hoping we'd get more/better info from Cryptic. Considering the silence, and after all the rage so far, I fear no one at Cryptic is even listening to this thread anymore, but here are my thoughts anyway:

As a customer I view the Veteran Rewards are a way that Cryptic shows their appreciation for my patronage.
"Hey PatricianVetinari, thanks for supporting our company for so long. Here's a little something to show our appreciation." To have a gift taken away is always a negative and disappointing thing for the person losing the gift. There is a sense of loss, possibly even, if I may sound so dramatic, a sense of theft.

The 250 Emblems portion of the 500 Day Relentless prize was especially rewarding, so it will be especially missed.
I felt Cryptic understood the STO was weak on End Game material, and that what does exist is very grindy. However, while STO might not be deep, it does have some breadth. Maybe we've maxed out one character, why not make another? And here Cryptic was admitting that we'd played the game long enough we weren't expected to grind quite so much if we wanted to try an alternate build or new character concept. Here's a gift we could use only at End Game, but could furnish every new toon we ever made with 8ish new pieces of Epic-level gear.

Is that OP? I shouldn't think so, especially when one considers the state of the game and the only way to get this reward is by paying to play the game for over 1 year, 4 months (500 days) which equates to ~$250 worth of subscription. It didn't completely bling out your toon, there is still quite a bit of grinding involved with that, and to really "profit" off this with many characters, you'd have to eventually start paying for each extra slot. So they earn some coin back too. To me, it seemed a generous, but fair gift for both parties.

With this in mind, did Cryptic behave with any sort of diplomacy or contrition?
No. Not even a little. They had complete disregard.

Did this update go to a public testing shard as they normally do?
Nope it was snuck in, directly to Holodeck.

Was there a notice or any sort of warning of this change?
Only the Release Notes post that was put up hours before the event. Otherwise, I don't think this was anywhere on the public's radar, I know it wasn't on mine.

Days later and there still has been no official announcement.
Gozer, may God bless him, was kind enough to enter the shooting gallery, but the message he delivered was not a good one or remotely close enough to extinguish the flames.

Was this another Cryptic blunder?
Yes. I feel it was. Based on the forum rage, I'm not the only one. Even objectively one can see the poor way this was handled. For example, the Veteran Rewards page still promises a user will get the 250 Emblems. False advertising, much? Besides leaving you with a disappointed player (possibly losing a customer), you might also waste time/money dealing with a customer service/support/bug ticket.

So where are we now?
Well, what little info we got was that Cryptic was trying to protect us from ourselves and well... that's it. Oh, and if someone at Cryptic happens to push hard enough we might some day be compensated with some alternative shiny. At some point in the future. Maybe.

Right. Whatever. Sounds like so many other "maybe somedays" we've got from Cryptic. I could go off on a whole separate rant on the number of forward looking ideas, wishes, promises, and other "we'd like to dos" that have never materialized.

I feel bad for the people that didn't make it in time. Personally, I got mine. Thirteen characters on the books before this blunder and since I had some sale ago picked up extra slots, I spent Wednesday night making myself seven new characters (they were concepts I'd been dreaming up to get around to when I had the time). Meh.

I really don't know what else to say. I think this was more bad business from Cryptic. Frankly, I don't know how much more I'm going to take.

Edit: Here are replies to the above:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=3796966
Lt. Commander
# 238
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Was this another Cryptic blunder?
Yes. I feel it was. Based on the forum rage, I'm not the only one. Even objectively one can see the poor way this was handled. For example, the Veteran Rewards page still promises a user will get the 250 Emblems. False advertising, much? Besides leaving you with a disappointed player (possibly losing a customer), you might also waste time/money dealing with a customer service/support/bug ticket.
I can't believe that they didn't remove that from the Vet Rewards page. Now THAT is an epic blunder.

EDIT: Oh, wait. This is Cryptic we're talking about. I CAN believe it.
Lt. Commander
# 239
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
A couple of quick notes:

1) I've pulled the mention of emblems from the 500 day Vet Reward page, as it no longer is true. Sorry I didn't get this done sooner.

2) We are working on something else to fill in that spot with. I'll update you all with more details as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 240
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
A couple of quick notes:

1) I've pulled the mention of emblems from the 500 day Vet Reward page, as it no longer is true. Sorry I didn't get this done sooner.

2) We are working on something else to fill in that spot with. I'll update you all with more details as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Stormshade
While I support # 1, I have to say given the current Cryptic track record, I don't expect much from # 2.

I'd like you to prove me wrong but I'm not going to get my hopes up.