Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Hello all.

After playing through the mission chains with some of the people in my fleet. They really dont make sense, and, they are to restrictive, and frankly, not fun. they dont allow us to play the game the way we want to, and force us to play the game how YOU want us to.

Now, I understand that Cryptic wanted us to test the game from the perspective of new players starting out, however, it is difficult to do so due to the fact that we have those previous experiences of playing the game WITHOUT the strict mission progression.

The mission progression is, at least to me and the group that I play with, hugely restrictive. I do not want to HAVE to run the devidian missions prior to running the Doomsday machine, for example.

I would hazard a bet that others also feel this way.

Now, with the large number of complaints that people are making about the silver/gold matrix, I think that a great benefit to gold members would be Freeform (borrowed that from champions) mission progression.

Yes, let gold players have the ability choose what arcs they do in what order they do them.

For example, if a gold player chooses to do the city on the edge of never arcs prior to the devidians, so be it.

I understand that some missions have follow on missions, so you could chain them together after choosing the first mission.

I appreciate any comments on this. Thanks for reading.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
10-04-2011, 04:53 AM
+1

Very good idea.

Also take into account that the Devidian Arc includes some spoilers for later missions that need changing with the new progression chain.

While I like Captain B'Vat's appearance as a random Klingon (new player perspective), Franklin Drake as mission giver doesn't work at all anymore.
It was borderline retarded anyway to have him show up as a guy who knew me if I haven't encountered him before, but I could at least choose to not play Devidians until after the mission with the holodeck test.
I would recommend changing his contact appearance into a Intelligence Starfleet officer who appears a bit shady at most.
That would make our investment into hunting him down after his "defection" to the Romulans even bigger, cause we already know the guy.
Maybe even hint at what's to come into his contact dialog and delete all the open Section 31 references.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
10-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Excellent point on the Franklin Drake thing.

We dont meet him until the Romulan areas, yet the devidian arc has not changed to reflect that. If they keep it the same, the would have to re write multiple mission text to reflect.


The chained mission progression as it stands right now is flawed for this reason. I am sure that there are many more instances like this.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
10-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancstew View Post
Excellent point on the Franklin Drake thing.

We dont meet him until the Romulan areas, yet the devidian arc has not changed to reflect that. If they keep it the same, the would have to re write multiple mission text to reflect.


The chained mission progression as it stands right now is flawed for this reason. I am sure that there are many more instances like this.
You donīt meet Drake anymore. He was replaced by some other NPC. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
10-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Really? Then us kwnowing him and not liking him due to S31 makes even less sense now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
10-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Interesting idea OP. I like it! I agree completely with the OP. Make it so.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
10-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancstew View Post
Hello all.

After playing through the mission chains with some of the people in my fleet. They really dont make sense, and, they are to restrictive, and frankly, not fun. they dont allow us to play the game the way we want to, and force us to play the game how YOU want us to.

Now, I understand that Cryptic wanted us to test the game from the perspective of new players starting out, however, it is difficult to do so due to the fact that we have those previous experiences of playing the game WITHOUT the strict mission progression.

The mission progression is, at least to me and the group that I play with, hugely restrictive. I do not want to HAVE to run the devidian missions prior to running the Doomsday machine, for example.

I would hazard a bet that others also feel this way.

Now, with the large number of complaints that people are making about the silver/gold matrix, I think that a great benefit to gold members would be Freeform (borrowed that from champions) mission progression.

Yes, let gold players have the ability choose what arcs they do in what order they do them.

For example, if a gold player chooses to do the city on the edge of never arcs prior to the devidians, so be it.

I understand that some missions have follow on missions, so you could chain them together after choosing the first mission.

I appreciate any comments on this. Thanks for reading.
+1 this, however it would unbalance PVP at low levels if you let some people go off and get the breen set, and other are stuck with MK IV blues and purples. (However I am a PvEr and I really want to just play my game, how I want and not have to wait until after the borg missions to get the breen set. That is one of my favorite arcs, and one I enjoy to grind.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
10-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
+1 this, however it would unbalance PVP at low levels if you let some people go off and get the breen set, and other are stuck with MK IV blues and purples. (However I am a PvEr and I really want to just play my game, how I want and not have to wait until after the borg missions to get the breen set. That is one of my favorite arcs, and one I enjoy to grind.)

Then level band specific arcs, like the romulan/reman arc, devidian arc, and breen arcs. sort of like they are now.

but to make the whole game a linear progression removes the freedom of the game.

As far as unbalancing PVP goes, this will not unbalance it anymore than it already is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancstew View Post
Then level band specific arcs, like the romulan/reman arc, devidian arc, and breen arcs. sort of like they are now.

but to make the whole game a linear progression removes the freedom of the game.

As far as unbalancing PVP goes, this will not unbalance it anymore than it already is.
I think they should have the featured epsiodes open like they are now for everyone. And then story lock the main missions for silver players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
10-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
I think they should have the featured epsiodes open like they are now for everyone. And then story lock the main missions for silver players.
That is essentially what I was suggesting.

It would do two things,

One, it would be a huge difference between silver/gold accounts

two, it would actually allow someone to have some illusion of replayability, by doing stuff at different times, I say illusion because either way, you still have to do the same missions, but the order could be different within a given level band.

Actually, it would be better now, since all the missions scale with level.

Anyway, just a suggestion.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 AM.