Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
The Defiant was scary for what it was. As someone above said it was a combat runabout, except that it could probably stand up confidently to even something like an Ambassador or Intrepid class ship. Problem was it did that by stripping out all pretty much every diplomatic and science ammenity that had been common to Starfleet ships since at least Kirk's time, and using a very inefficiant warp configuration. The biggest thing we've seen them go up against was that Jem'Hadar battleship which was twice the size of a Galaxy class ship. And while the Valiant got blown to bits in that particular engagement, I'd say it made a damn fine showing of itself, given it was basically the equivalent to a guy in a rowboat with an RPG attacking the U.S.S. Missouri. The only time we see a Defiant go down hard without putting up any real fight was in First Contact against the Borg, and Worf was in command that time so it's kind of to be expected. lol

The Prometheus and the Akira were pretty much on equal footing, I think, the Akira seemed to focus more on brute strength while the Prometheus relied more on advanced technology.

If I was going to reshuffle the escorts at all the only changes I think I'd make would be to swap the Hermes/Gryphon/Dervish with the Akira & variants.

But of course, the reason they didn't do that is because they wanted a canon ship at every tier, and since the Norway & Steamrunner were kind of ugly and under-represented little things, while the Akira at least had some air time outside First Contact, and they already had the Prometheus for T5, it fit nicely into T3 as a companion to the Cheyenne and Olympic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
10-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
The Defiant was scary for what it was. As someone above said it was a combat runabout, except that it could probably stand up confidently to even something like an Ambassador or Intrepid class ship. Problem was it did that by stripping out all pretty much every diplomatic and science ammenity that had been common to Starfleet ships since at least Kirk's time, and using a very inefficiant warp configuration. The biggest thing we've seen them go up against was that Jem'Hadar battleship which was twice the size of a Galaxy class ship. And while the Valiant got blown to bits in that particular engagement, I'd say it made a damn fine showing of itself, given it was basically the equivalent to a guy in a rowboat with an RPG attacking the U.S.S. Missouri. The only time we see a Defiant go down hard without putting up any real fight was in First Contact against the Borg, and Worf was in command that time so it's kind of to be expected. lol

The Prometheus and the Akira were pretty much on equal footing, I think, the Akira seemed to focus more on brute strength while the Prometheus relied more on advanced technology.

If I was going to reshuffle the escorts at all the only changes I think I'd make would be to swap the Hermes/Gryphon/Dervish with the Akira & variants.

But of course, the reason they didn't do that is because they wanted a canon ship at every tier, and since the Norway & Steamrunner were kind of ugly and under-represented little things, while the Akira at least had some air time outside First Contact, and they already had the Prometheus for T5, it fit nicely into T3 as a companion to the Cheyenne and Olympic.
streamrunner is beautiful
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
10-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie619 View Post
streamrunner is beautiful
The design certainly had potential, however it never got more than a low res CGI model for First Contact made, so relative to the Akira & Defiant it is "ugly".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
10-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I forget what it is called but it is basically a cannon FAW that does a lot of Damage to Fighters and small vessels within 5 KM of you. It is basically a Carrier-killer type weapon - as the Klinks will have new T3 and T4 Carriers added to the game.
A console that is a Point Defense System similiar to the pre-order PDS but much better versus pets and the like according to the STOked interview.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
10-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
The design certainly had potential, however it never got more than a low res CGI model for First Contact made, so relative to the Akira & Defiant it is "ugly".
i do know a modeling comapny made one
http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...11_display.jpg

http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...1_display2.jpg

but of course this ship was only halph the size of an akira wich is just my most favorite ship ever

http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...8_display2.jpg

http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...8_display3.jpg

its my understanding that technology wise the making of the defiant class is what made the creation of these ships posible i dont remeber wher i read that but its been stuck in my head ....ships designed for borg defence

and that brings up another reason why akira should be tier 5... all the borg missions are tier 5 and you dont even roll a ship desinged for borg killing lol just a thought i had
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
10-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie619 View Post
i do know a modeling comapny made one
http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...11_display.jpg

http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...1_display2.jpg

but of course this ship was only halph the size of an akira wich is just my most favorite ship ever

http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...8_display2.jpg

http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...8_display3.jpg

its my understanding that technology wise the making of the defiant class is what made the creation of these ships posible i dont remeber wher i read that but its been stuck in my head ....ships designed for borg defence

and that brings up another reason why akira should be tier 5... all the borg missions are tier 5 and you dont even roll a ship desinged for borg killing lol just a thought i had
That Steamrunner looks gorgeous. The Akira is probably my favourite but the Steamrunner is a close second, add in a Norway as well and I'll be happy with all four of my favourite Federation ships being in game (Akira, Galaxy, Norway and Steamrunner).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
10-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
That Steamrunner looks gorgeous. The Akira is probably my favourite but the Steamrunner is a close second, add in a Norway as well and I'll be happy with all four of my favourite Federation ships being in game (Akira, Galaxy, Norway and Steamrunner).
yes yes norway that was the third one that was suposivly a borg defence ship
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
10-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
A console that is a Point Defense System similiar to the pre-order PDS but much better versus pets and the like according to the STOked interview.
Yeah, the turret from the pre-order is really only useful against torpedoes you can shoot down.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
10-06-2011, 07:00 AM
I wonder what happened to the Andorian Escort that we were promised 2 years ago lol, but it sucks we are just getting another custume and console
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
10-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham6410 View Post
I wonder what happened to the Andorian Escort that we were promised 2 years ago lol
ya another new ship ive been craving cuz it was told it was gonna get delivered ...damit
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.