Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
10-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phedrus View Post
So if mission replay is now on the main UI, is it fair to assume that the game is taking a direction even farther away from ship interiors with actual purpose?
It'd be fun if ship interiors were outfitted with something like Codex for the lore of the setting.

Like "View the Timeline"

and "View Enemy histories" and so on.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
10-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagison View Post
I agree with this 100%. If there was some sort of mechanic that had multiple players serving on the same ship, then I think the IP could be a better MMO fit.

I have the impression, though, that I am in a minority in my thinking that it's a good thing to have multiple players serving on one ship . Still, some of my fondest gaming moments are from another IP where we could fly POB ships, man multiple stations, and walk around inside a semi-functional (and highly customizable) interior. I think that model could have worked for Star Trek.
Go play Pirates of the Burning Sea, it will cure you of thinking that mechanic ever works.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
10-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Aside from the tutorial, if you don't want to be super captain, you can just level advance through the exploration system. It'll be slow and mind numbingly boring, but that sorta sounds like the idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
10-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Firstly if someone else has posted something like this then sorry I didn't have time to read the whole forum.

But here's what I want to say, I think this hits a flaw in Star Trek Online that flaw being that it's an MMO, being a super-captain would be fine if there wasn't tons of others who are also super. When you think about it it's kind of ridiculous as one of the whole things about Star Trek is going where no man has gone before which is almost impossible in an MMO, so if anything I'd say you're not super enough!! If everyone's super then no one is.

However the thing about being a super-captain is that how do you know every captain in starfleet isn't amazing and super? Also the reason you're given command of a ship so quickly is the fact that the federation is at war with pretty much everyone.

The real question is where they're getting all the ships?

But really this is pretty much a fundamental thing in lots of games because not a lot of people like feeling like support for better, more important people, sure it may be more realistic but if you want real why are you playing video games? And (in my opinion) if you start questioning something like this then why not question how you respawn?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Aside from the tutorial, if you don't want to be super captain, you can just level advance through the exploration system. It'll be slow and mind numbingly boring, but that sorta sounds like the idea.
I'm pretty epic for blowing up Negh'vars, Zilant Battleships and Marauder Battleships in Miranda in exploration too.

Oh, almost forgot D'deridex Battleships too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
10-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
I'm pretty epic for blowing up Negh'vars, Zilant Battleships and Marauder Battleships in Miranda in exploration too.

Oh, almost forgot D'deridex Battleships too.
I actually level grind via Exploration for the explicit purpose of trying to recapture the feeling of Star Trek. I'm still a super captain but I at least get the impression that a lot of my missions are studying particiles and exploring (often) empty bases as it is slaughtering Klingons.

(I maintain that most of the ships I "destroy" are just disabled)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
Interesting question,

Due to instancing, every character of Star Trek: Online is basically playing a single-player campaign built around the fact that he gets a Chris Pine Kirk-esque origin. He's promoted to lieutenant and given command of a garbage scow-esque ship - so it's SLIGHTLY more believable but the same basic principle applies.

From there, the PC proceeds to single handedly carve his way through the Klingon race (if he's Federation) before moving onto blowing up a Romulan warbird with a shuttle on your first Romulan story mission and then only goes from there.

Basically, by the end of things, your character is the most action packed heroic superhero of superheroes Starfleet has ever produced.

Do you like this origin for your character or would you have preferred something slightly more lower-key for your Captain?
I dont want to be known as the "mass murder of starfleet" or "The kligon killer" or somthing lol. I would like if you could disable ships as well as less enamy ships but make them more powerful. Some people have goten to VA in just a few days I meen relly? Day 1 - Ensign day 4- VA... you never see captains in the shows just ordering there ship to plow through a group of kligons and emerge unscratched.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I stopped doing PvE missions a long time ago, there is simply no challenge in PvE, and thus no sense of progress or accomplishment. Other than in the 3 Borg STFs, there isnt even any loot worth the timeinvestment.. And now that they messed up PvP... Again... I havent actually played in 3-4 weeks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
10-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
Interesting question,

Due to instancing, every character of Star Trek: Online is basically playing a single-player campaign built around the fact that he gets a Chris Pine Kirk-esque origin. He's promoted to lieutenant and given command of a garbage scow-esque ship - so it's SLIGHTLY more believable but the same basic principle applies.

From there, the PC proceeds to single handedly carve his way through the Klingon race (if he's Federation) before moving onto blowing up a Romulan warbird with a shuttle on your first Romulan story mission and then only goes from there.

Basically, by the end of things, your character is the most action packed heroic superhero of superheroes Starfleet has ever produced.

Do you like this origin for your character or would you have preferred something slightly more lower-key for your Captain?
Gee, are you inferring that Cryptic made STO as a "super-hero-in-space" type of MMO?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
10-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
The game already seems to be full of sons and daughters of famous starship captains who aced the Kobayashi Maru test and completed his/her 6th doctorate at the age of 15. And dated the Borg Queen.
I am so going to use that in my next characters back story. ^_^ who doesn't want to date the borg queen. It will be all high school sweet heart stuff.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 AM.