Lt. Commander
# 111
10-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I think the Jupiter class is hideous. It looks like a trigger fish, not a starfleet cruiser but if paying players want it, give it to them. The ship is already rendered. How much work could it take to get it to players?

I don't understand the hold up. For a minimal amount of work, they'll keep people subscribing and spending money in the C Store for the ship they've been wanting.
Lt. Commander
# 112
10-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilladog View Post
I think the Jupiter class is hideous. It looks like a trigger fish, not a starfleet cruiser but if paying players want it, give it to them. The ship is already rendered. How much work could it take to get it to players?

I don't understand the hold up. For a minimal amount of work, they'll keep people subscribing and spending money in the C Store for the ship they've been wanting.
Except it's not that simple.

They can't just re-skin the Galaxy-X, the Jupiter (and Typhoon that is in the same class) have never had cloaks or spinal lasers. And if they make it just a new skin for the Assault cruiser/Star cruiser, people will not be happy that they're not dreadnoughts.

So they have to come up with stats for them. How tough should they be? How many fore/aft weapons? What BOff & console slots? How much crew? How much Hull? Turn rates? These things all have to be tested. If they just pull stats for it out of thin air and throw it in the C-Store chances are it'll either be terribly underpowered, which will anger people who like the ship, or terribly overpowered, which will anger people who don't like the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 113
10-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Programming those stats might be a chore but settling on stats can be accomplished quickly. First, you can see in these threads what player's expectations are. After all this time, HOPEFULLY the designers can quickly settle on what it should be capable of. A small focus team can knock out the issues in a day.

The fact remains, as I've said in several threads, is there has been no motivation to get this done. The Jupiter class has been around since the beginning. How many ships have been added to the game since then while the Jupiter is in purgatory, sitting in a corner like a naughty child?
Lt. Commander
# 114
10-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilladog View Post
Programming those stats might be a chore but settling on stats can be accomplished quickly. First, you can see in these threads what player's expectations are. After all this time, HOPEFULLY the designers can quickly settle on what it should be capable of. A small focus team can knock out the issues in a day.

The fact remains, as I've said in several threads, is there has been no motivation to get this done. The Jupiter class has been around since the beginning. How many ships have been added to the game since then while the Jupiter is in purgatory, sitting in a corner like a naughty child?
I have to agree with you on this one, while I won't ever pretend that the Jupiter has a LARGE following, there are a few of us. Some have been calling for it since before I knew this game existed and since I've started up these forums the call has been growing louder.

It is as you say, slightly silly that the Jupiter has been collecting dust when it could be easily shined up and sent out for players. In the least it could be made and sent to Tribble for testing and feedback. I say this would be easy in the fact that it would be easier than making a whole new ship from scratch.

However I do agree with you Feor when you stated that they need to be carful and not rush the stats for the Jupiter because it could be super or sucky and players on both sides could be hurt. However this could be avoided by just putting it up on Tribble and testing for feedback. That's what it's for right?

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 115
10-07-2011, 04:38 PM
^ I'll second that. Put it in Tribble. See how players respond.
Lt. Commander
# 116
10-11-2011, 06:19 PM
So, I was watching the STOked Podcast (something I normally don't do) and I came across the description of Cryptic's newest console; the Point Defense System.

Sound Familiar?

You can find the episode HERE

Anyway, as I expected the ability was not so great. Only lasting ten seconds and most likely having a VERY long cool down. It does however work as we had laid out here in the Jupiter Dreadnought forums, targeting small craft and the like with a 360 degree area of effect (ok, we didn't say 360 degrees). It does 10x damage to small craft (fighters, probes and the like) and 3x damage (or 2x, the screen is blurry) to frigates.

My greatest disappointment with the ability is that it has a 10 second lifespan! Wow, how useful... Plus as I stated earlier, I would bet money on it having a long cool down.

So in conclusion, I don't think I'd want this console as the Jupiter's ability, it just sorta doesn't live up to expectations...

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 117
10-24-2011, 05:37 AM
So, I have set my mind on the fact that I believe the Jupiter will most likely be released after F2P and most likely during or after the level cap increase. I'm hoping it'll be released as a new t5 or t6 ship (along with the Typhoon) for those new levels.

Other than the fact the Devs said "sometime around season 5" has there been anymore mention of when the level cap is increasing?

As always, any thoughts about the Jupiter?

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 118
10-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
So, I have set my mind on the fact that I believe the Jupiter will most likely be released after F2P and most likely during or after the level cap increase. I'm hoping it'll be released as a new t5 or t6 ship (along with the Typhoon) for those new levels.

Other than the fact the Devs said "sometime around season 5" has there been anymore mention of when the level cap is increasing?

As always, any thoughts about the Jupiter?

-Quiiliitiila
It better be the best thing since slided bread, or it will rarely be seen on Holodeck. I'm sure it has a worse turn rate than the Galaxy-X. Its going to need a dual lance broadside to make up for its level of ugly...
Lt. Commander
# 119
10-25-2011, 06:18 PM
It is hideous. Personally, I'd be happy with a T6 Galaxy-X retrofit.
Lt. Commander
# 120
10-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Ok, so I've been playing around with the new Klingon ships on Tribble. They're AWESOME! Makes me actually WANT to make a KDF character...

Anyway, the one ship I kept coming back to was the Orion flight deck cruiser. It has one hanger and no other specials, but it makes up for that with firepower and a decent BO layout.

My proposal is: Why not have the Jupiter Class Dreadnought as a flight deck carrier? It's not a true carrier, so the klingons would be happy (plus it would only be one fed "carrier" versus multiple klingon ships that now serve as carrier roles).

Flying the Orion ship allowed me to find a whole new play style that has never been available to the Federation players. So why not? The flight deck carrier is a good half and half for both sides, the Feds get some carrierish play, while the KDF can retain the true carrier and monopoly on the flight deck cruisers. Everyone wins!

Yup,
Quiiliitiila