Lt. Commander
# 81
10-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
The Nebula does have impulse engines

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b54e553d69.jpg

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articl...la-impulse.jpg

below the rear phaser banks, right above the pylons.

Even if you used the same engines for FTL and sublight, you'd still end up with a problem in case of the Ambassador: the saucer doesn't have those either.
I don't know that I agree those are impulse engines but interesting nonetheless.I've never seen that explanation.

I agree an ambassador saucer wouldn't be maneuverable and doesn't have warp abilities. My point in that statement was merely you don't need impulse for sub light in general.
Lt. Commander
# 82
10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I would love to see a T4 Ambassador! I would love for it to be its own ship like the Excelsior rather then a Variant that is designed to trade parts with other ships of that Tier. I just do not think it is going to happen. Cryptic likes Variants now because it adds more ship parts to the pool - and they like separate Tiers because that means you have to buy more ships at each Tier upgrade. They are FTP now. It is all about the money-grab.
To be honest I like to have more ship part options. Its easy to make for one thing and takes less time. It also plays to one of the games strongest point customization.

Does cryptic spend alot of time on this yes it does its one the high points of the game.

It make your character more unique if you keep that illusion that your making your own ship or part of the universe.

I encourage the Developers to give us more stuff. Weapons, Equipment, Aliens, Ships, more options that make us unique to the game world.

I would love to see the Ambassidor ship though as a Tier 3 it is a older ship after all.
Lt. Commander
# 83
10-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Older ship but if Mirandas and NXs are valid at lower tiers in this time frame, the Ambassador could be justified at a higher tier.

I personally think this one deservered higher priority BECAUSE it was an Enterprise. I also imagine there are many New Frontier fans playing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 84
10-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Those little things are impulse engines???? They should be home with thier mother!! No wonder why the thing turns like a pig!!
I thought the impluse engines only move the ship foward and the every fed uses rcs thrusters to steer? So if it is the rcs thrusters that moves te ship then there the fault.
Lt. Commander
# 85
10-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
I thought the impluse engines only move the ship foward and the every fed uses rcs thrusters to steer? So if it is the rcs thrusters that moves te ship then there the fault.
A ship still needs power to overcome inertia in order to manuever. In space you would thrust in two or more directions to "turn", most of the times moving forward. If the main "thrusters" (impulse engines) are small (weak), the RCS thrusters will have to work harder to make the ship maneuver. Presuming all RCS thrusters work off of a pooled amount of power (seperate from the impulse engines) the net turn rate would be less.
Lt. Commander
# 86
10-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
A ship still needs power to overcome inertia in order to manuever. In space you would thrust in two or more directions to "turn", most of the times moving forward. If the main "thrusters" (impulse engines) are small (weak), the RCS thrusters will have to work harder to make the ship maneuver. Presuming all RCS thrusters work off of a pooled amount of power (seperate from the impulse engines) the net turn rate would be less.
POwer, it has a warp core!

Inertia, its has inertia damapers

it has been stated in star trek the impluse engines are for sublight traveling while the rcs thrusters used for steerign ship.
Lt. Commander
# 87
10-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
POwer, it has a warp core!

Inertia, its has inertia damapers

it has been stated in star trek the impluse engines are for sublight traveling while the rcs thrusters used for steerign ship.
But dampers only work SO well. You still need "thrust". On TNG and others, many time ,the impulse engines glowed brighter when the ship was accelerating (and turning), so that suggests that they do use the impulse engines in pretty much every aspect of non-warp travel.

The warp core is the source of power, but the power must be distributed through a power "network", if the RCS network can only handle 150 gigajoules of energy, it cant send any more through it. So if the two RCS thrusters fire to turn the ship, a max of 150 gigajoules can be used BETWEEN the two thrusters (ie. 75/75, 100/50 etc.). By using the impulse engines to help with forward motion, the "side" RCS can use 150 gigjoules of the network energy to turn, improving the ships turn rate.
Lt. Commander
# 88
10-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
But dampers only work SO well. You still need "thrust". On TNG and others, many time ,the impulse engines glowed brighter when the ship was accelerating (and turning), so that suggests that they do use the impulse engines in pretty much every aspect of non-warp travel.

The warp core is the source of power, but the power must be distributed through a power "network", if the RCS network can only handle 150 gigajoules of energy, it cant send any more through it. So if the two RCS thrusters fire to turn the ship, a max of 150 gigajoules can be used BETWEEN the two thrusters (ie. 75/75, 100/50 etc.). By using the impulse engines to help with forward motion, the "side" RCS can use 150 gigjoules of the network energy to turn, improving the ships turn rate.
All so true i guess.
Lt. Commander
# 89
10-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Inertia dampers are part of the artificial gravity and structural integrity field. They are not part of the propulsion system. They prevent you from becoming a smear on the wall, they don't slow the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 90
10-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Those little things are impulse engines???? They should be home with thier mother!! No wonder why the thing turns like a pig!!
Well, I guess you should tell that to the impulse engines on the Defiant as well then.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2717/...0072501092.jpg