Lt. Commander
# 41
10-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Ah well then I retracted the 2nd part of my post but I'd still like to see where he is getting his commission dates from.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFO-OptimusPrime View Post
Ah well then I retracted the 2nd part of my post but I'd still like to see where he is getting his commission dates from.
My guess is some background material.

In case of the D'Kyr it's probably a guess since we only know it was used in that era but not really when they were commissioned.
Excelsior, well she was put into actual service at least three years and a half before Star Trek IV (2290), Galaxy and Nebula come from the TNGTM (trial runs for the Enterprise-D are listed as 2359), the USS Intrepid was mentioned in the 7th season of TNG "Force of Nature" and Geordi and her chief engineer have a competition which of the ships has a more efficient warpdrive.
Defiant, well Sisko was responsible for the yard where she was built before he transferred to DS9.
In case of the Defiant and the Intrepid it's a bit fuzzy whether they are very late 2360's (2369,69) or very early in 2270 but it's in that period.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
My guess is some background material.

In case of the D'Kyr it's probably a guess since we only know it was used in that era but not really when they were commissioned.
Excelsior, well she was put into actual service at least three years and a half before Star Trek IV (2290), Galaxy and Nebula come from the TNGTM (trial runs for the Enterprise-D are listed as 2359), the USS Intrepid was mentioned in the 7th season of TNG "Force of Nature" and Geordi and her chief engineer have a competition which of the ships has a more efficient warpdrive.
Defiant, well Sisko was responsible for the yard where she was built before he transferred to DS9.
In case of the Defiant and the Intrepid it's a bit fuzzy whether they are very late 2360's (2369,69) or very early in 2270 but it's in that period.
Man I haven't seen that TNG episode in yrs, i don't remember if he said it was an intrepid class. I remember back in S3 "Sins of the Father" they were looking through the records and the USS Intrepid was the closet ship to the outpost.
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Man I haven't seen that TNG episode in yrs, i don't remember if he said it was an intrepid class. I remember back in S3 "Sins of the Father" they were looking through the records and the USS Intrepid was the closet ship to the outpost.
Well, that one in Season 3 was an Excelsior, clearly indicating it can't have been the same ship otherwise an Excelsior's warpcore would be a competition for the Enterprise-D.
A new USS Intrepid, well that would make sense at least.
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Well, that one in Season 3 was an Excelsior, clearly indicating it can't have been the same ship otherwise an Excelsior's warpcore would be a competition for the Enterprise-D.
A new USS Intrepid, well that would make sense at least.
Oh i 100% obviously couldn't be the same ship, that be kinda funny for an Excelsior to be in league with a Galaxy class. I was just thinking that because there were refrences to another ship being named the USS Intrepid so it reason to believe that just because it has the name doesn't mean its the ship class. Cause that would be saying the Intrepid was older then a Sov..
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Oh i 100% obviously couldn't be the same ship, that be kinda funny for an Excelsior to be in league with a Galaxy class. I was just thinking that because there were refrences to another ship being named the USS Intrepid so it reason to believe that just because it has the name doesn't mean its the ship class. Cause that would be saying the Intrepid was older then a Sov..
We know the name "Defiant" was used on several ships, also Intrepid.
And let's not forget that it's pretty clear that Voyager was lost in 2370 while "First Contact" plays in 2372 and the Enterprise-E was called "the most advanced starship in the fleet" and she was out in space for about a year by that time.

It takes several years to build a ship and get it through its trials etc.
And there must have been the prototype USS Sovereign some time before the "big-E" just like the USS Intrepid (whose existence was confirmed in "Star Trek:Nemesis")

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...roup_Omega.jpg

was probably around for several years before she was officially put into active service.
Not to mention orders for additional ships of the same class.

So it's probably not a question of which of them is actually older but which of them was finished first.
And in that case I'd say the Intrepid looks like it "won".
Probably because she is less complex and contains little cutting-edge technology like the Quatum torpedo launcher and is more like a miniature-Galaxy with most of the technology tried and tested on that class in place.
While the Sovereing is more like a ship where they wanted to outdo the Galaxy at least in terms of tactical systems.
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Quote:
And there must have been the prototype USS Sovereign some time before the "big-E" just like the USS Intrepid (whose existence was confirmed in "Star Trek:Nemesis")
There's always the possibility that teh Enterprise is the U.S.S. Sovereign. Perhaps the 1701-D took it's nosedive in Generations with (all things considered) relatively light casualties, and Starfleet suddenly found itself short one flagship and up one elite starship crew. So they took their biggest and fanciest ship at the time, the newly commissioned U.S.S. Sovereign, added one quick re-christening ceremony, and some serious diplomatic dancing to mollify whoever was supposed to take command of it (with huge bonus laughs if it was Jellico) and voila, one brand new flagship for the fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-08-2011, 05:29 PM
it could have been the same excelsior class, surely a galaxy classes core would be more powerful, most powerful that is, but that doesn't mean it would automatically be the most efficient. there could easily be an efficiency competition between 2 different ships with 2 different cores. also, the intrepid class and voyager wasn't even thought of yet during the 7th tng season. but i think the intrepid class was lunched the same year as tng's 6th or 7th season in universe, so it could have been the original intrepid class Geordi was competing with.

Quote:
We know the name "Defiant" was used on several ships, also Intrepid.
And let's not forget that it's pretty clear that Voyager was lost in 2370 while "First Contact" plays in 2372 and the Enterprise-E was called "the most advanced starship in the fleet" and she was out in space for about a year by that time.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...roup_Omega.jpg

was probably around for several years before she was officially put into active service.
Not to mention orders for additional ships of the same class.

So it's probably not a question of which of them is actually older but which of them was finished first.
And in that case I'd say the Intrepid looks like it "won".
Probably because she is less complex and contains little cutting-edge technology like the Quatum torpedo launcher and is more like a miniature-Galaxy with most of the technology tried and tested on that class in place.
While the Sovereing is more like a ship where they wanted to outdo the Galaxy at least in terms of tactical systems.
so we see that the USS Galaxy has a registry of 70637, and according to memory alpha, the lowest nebula registry listed is USS Honshu NCC-60205, the USS nebula probably has a slightly lower number. its likely that the more utilitarian nebula class first launched in the mid to late 2350 with that number. the Galaxy, Yamato and Enterprise were all being built at approximately the same time, with the enterprise launching in 2363, so the galaxy class cant be older then 2362 or 63.

i believe the borg attacked in 2365, so the defiant was probably built in 2366 or 67, and then mothballed for a few years. its registry is NX-74205, so that number is mid 2360s. the intrepid's registry is 74600, so the intrepid is probably from about 2367. but, voyager's 74656 is not much higher, so it was probably one of the first intrepid classes, and it was launched in 2371. hmm. maybe the defiant wasn't even assigned a registry before it was pulled out of mothballs in 2371. the USS Prometheus has a sub 75000 registry in 2374, so it seems like ship building really slowed down between the 2350s and 2370s, witch is odd, considering all the new classes. USS nova's registry is 73515, so more mid 2360s

the akira class USS Thunderchild NCC-63549 actually has a registry number lower then the galaxy! so it was launched ln the very late 2350s? its possible. the Norway class USS Budapest registry of NCC-64923 puts it in a similar time frame as the akira class, another product of the 2350s apparently. the saber class USS Budapest has a registry of NCC-64923, so more 2350s. the oldest of all is the steamrunner class USS Appalachia, NCC-52136. 2340s?

and finally the USS sovereign's not quite canon registry of NX-73811, that seems kind of low. it could have been scheduled to be launched at about the same time as the first borg attack, but was pushed back to be further developed in light of new threats, and kept a registry number of a ship that proboly should have been launched years earlier.

based on all this, it apears the registry range for years is a bit like this

3555- ~60000
2360- ~65000
2362- ~70000
2364- ~72000
2366- ~73500
2368- ~74000
2370- ~74600
2372- ~74800
2374- ~75000

i think making sense of registry numbers is a bit hopeless lol
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
any fighter smaller then that would be useless. it wouldn't be able to carry weapons large enough to do any harm to an actual starship, and it wouldn't be able to survive any hit from one ether, the precision targeting of star trek weapons would mean almost no shots at one would miss.
Based on Cryptic-canon you are wrong. There ARE fighters smaller than that in game, they are NOT useless.

Setting Cryptic-canon aside though, I agree with you and have never thought having carriers in game made sense.
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
Based on Cryptic-canon you are wrong. There ARE fighters smaller than that in game, they are NOT useless.

Setting Cryptic-canon aside though, I agree with you and have never thought having carriers in game made sense.
fighters in game not being useless is debatable, lol. the fighters are about the size of the Peregrine too. there's a reason there are no canon carriers, they just arnt as effective enough to bother with most of the time. the Peregrine originally was a short range courier that got uprated into a fighter anyway, that's not what it was to begin with.