Lt. Commander
# 11
10-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshi View Post
I filed a complaint regarding Cryptic's perceived intent for the F2P transition. Hopefully, someone from CBS takes a look at the forums and tells Cryptic to shape up. Neither company needs the bad publicity.
Just write a letter to CBS detailing the changes being made to their IP. Tell them all about the federation becoming so poor that ship captains in starfleet are having to PAY for their own ships... in a society that is not supposed to have any use for money. And it is money no matter what you call it: dollars, gold coins, dilithium... it all represents the same thing, currency used to buy and sell goods.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Don't get me wrong I agree with you that prices are way to high. Sadly, this is a game and must have some form of economy. As for the leveling progression I am annoyed that you have to play every mission in order to get to end game since I understand, at least as it stands now, you won't be able to get to the Borg space without doing all the missions that lead up to it. I think your points are valid I just think your presentation was a little melo dramatic is all.

Which makes me wonder...what happens to those of us who haven't played every mission will be locked out of Borg space once this goes live. I have 3 VA and two of them skipped mission prior to getting to end game.
My presentation is intentionally melodramatic, little else in these forums gets any attention anymore since there are so many complaints going on about so many things. That being said, it is also a fairly accurate description of where the game is heading without intervention by the customer base (which has little power) and CBS which can yank the license at a whim.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeforce
Just write a letter to CBS detailing the changes being made to their IP. Tell them all about the federation becoming so poor that ship captains in starfleet are having to PAY for their own ships... in a society that is not supposed to have any use for money. And it is money no matter what you call it: dollars, gold coins, dilithium... it all represents the same thing, currency used to buy and sell goods.
In the online form, you have to give them your contact info, so I can add details if asked.

I was willing to wait until the STO team called my bluff, but then someone pointed out the "we will wait for the silent majority" comment from D'Angelo, and I figured I couldn't wait anymore. This dismissive and condescending attitude from Cryptic needs to stop, and getting CBS involved is the best way to do that at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Star Trek sim
10-08-2011, 03:02 PM
What I have always envisioned is a good Star ship interior where I can interact with people and have them go about their daily lives and have the missions created by the stuff that happens to them. Even as a little kid I would play with my Legos in a big Doxy so I could make believe that I was playing a character aboard the enterprise. Then when the game The Sims came out, I would often wish for a Star Trek game for The Sims. So, when this game came out I naturally was excited, thinking that it might be like that. Well, for 2 years now I have waited for ship interiors to be functional and now I want that to happen or at least I want a timeline for when it will happen. Take a page from Maxis and The Sims if you want to get an idea of what to do with the interior. Fill it with people and make them social. I'm tired of waiting, I want to go on my bridge and be in the Star Trek universe!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hadar
snip
Wow, that was almost but not quite entirely off topic. I say not quite because it did have something to do with STO.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Anyone is free to utilize the link in my sig in their own sig and if anyone finds a better link please let me know, this was the best I could find at CBS (actually, the only one I could find) and it's better than just letting things slide.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeforce
Just write a letter to CBS detailing the changes being made to their IP. Tell them all about the federation becoming so poor that ship captains in starfleet are having to PAY for their own ships... in a society that is not supposed to have any use for money.
Yeah, you write them that. I'm sure they'll appreciate a good laugh. Because that's all they're gonna do.

Gameplay mechanics are not canon. They never were and they never will be. In terms of canon, you can safely ignore that stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Yeah, you write them that. I'm sure they'll appreciate a good laugh. Because that's all they're gonna do.

Gameplay mechanics are not canon. They never were and they never will be. In terms of canon, you can safely ignore that stuff.
You would be surprised at how protective CBS can be over their intellectual property, if they feel that it is being damaged, they will react, we don't know how but they will react. Remember, Cryptic only has a license to use the IP, they don't have permission to make major alterations and everything related to Trek is under their control, from game mechanics to colors, if they don't like it or if they get concerned in the slightest, they can pull Cryptic's permission and shut this game down in no time at all. I do not wish for that to happen but I don't want to see the IP damaged in this way.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-09-2011, 01:49 AM
1. CBS most likely does know exactly what Cryptic is doing. Which is why writing them would be pointless anyway.
2. Captains have always been able to buy ships in this game. They also have always been able to buy and sell equipment on the exchange.
None of that fits established canon, so why are you complaining NOW??

Canonwise, Captains are still assigned to ships by Starfleet. They still get outfitted with up to date state of the art equipment for free.
Nothing that Cryptic does will change that.
And that's why CBS won't give a damn about you writing them.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
1. CBS most likely does know exactly what Cryptic is doing. Which is why writing them would be pointless anyway.
2. Captains have always been able to buy ships in this game. They also have always been able to buy and sell equipment on the exchange.
None of that fits established canon, so why are you complaining NOW??

Canonwise, Captains are still assigned to ships by Starfleet. They still get outfitted with up to date state of the art equipment for free.
Nothing that Cryptic does will change that.
And that's why CBS won't give a damn about you writing them.
I don't think CBS is fully aware of the fan's point of view on it and fans are what make any story profitable.

Addressing point 2, we were always able to buy ships but we were assigned a token to get 1 free at promotion without grinding for it. With the f2p system we are forced to buy a ship either with cpoints for real cash or through a godaweful amount of grinding.

Canonwise, captains were not outfitted with state of the art equipment for free, sure Picard, Kirk, and the main characters were ... eventually, but the Stargazer wasn't a new ship when Picard got it, Riker was to be assigned an old ship (the Melbourn , not a new ship) which he turned down again.

The argument here is more about our choices being forcibly removed and written out of the game than anything else, and choice has always been a defining principle of Star Trek and the Federation.