Lt. Commander
# 61
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The daily refinement cap can be tweaked to be more equitable--specifically by implementing it only on non-Daily, non-DOFF missions.
I agree. There are alot of different ways to address this.
Lt. Commander
# 62
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
earn dilithium to barter for cryptic points to barter for dilithium to barter for cryptic points.
Holy crap. It hadn't occurred to me that the new setup actually allows us to basically trade in currency futures. That's really clever on Cryptic's part, since they directly control that (via whatever exchange they end up using) meaning that clever players can move the market forward and backward, but Cryptic can always flux the market back into place via dummy accounts flushing currency into the market one way or another. Very clever.
Lt. Commander
# 63
10-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer42 View Post
Holy crap. It hadn't occurred to me that the new setup actually allows us to basically trade in currency futures. That's really clever on Cryptic's part, since they directly control that (via whatever exchange they end up using) meaning that clever players can move the market forward and backward, but Cryptic can always flux the market back into place via dummy accounts flushing currency into the market one way or another. Very clever.
Oh yeh, it's actually brilliant in its own way, if you really think about it.

I don't know whether to admire them or hate them. The problem is, to us STO is a game, to them it's a business in a very difficult economic climate. They want to make lots of money, and we want to have lots of fun. They really are running a world economy here, a virtual world economy, and if I had the time or the inclination I would take the time to study it more closely because I think there are things to be learned here, perhaps even things that could translate to a real world market.
Lt. Commander
# 64
10-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Yes that quote struck me too. It's a bit hard to follow all of the details and the nerdrages. Is that quote an accurate summary?
Also, the Nagus was a proponent of F2P in principle, so you know the Nagus is being honest on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 65
10-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy31 View Post
Also, the Nagus was a proponent of F2P in principle, so you know the Nagus is being honest on this one.
Note, I was(and am) a proponent of the F2P model used by Turbine in DDO and LOTRO, and for the most part in Champs. What STO is doing is a pretty big deviation from that in 2 main ways: 1) there is no real reason to actually subscribe(while in those other games there is), and 2) well, just see my quote in the OP. Those other games do not allow you to purchase in game currency with game points.
Lt. Commander
# 66
10-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
<snip>

Those other games do not allow you to purchase in game currency with game points.
Technically you are correct, but in my opinion in-game currency needs to be used to be useful, and the primary use of in-game currency is for in-game items.

DDO allows direct purchase of various in-game items including weapons and armor which are superior to the rewards you would receive for completing missions at low to mid levels. These items are available immediately at level one provided you have paid real money.

So in my opinion to say that DDO does not allow the purchase of in-game currency, while technically correct, does not display the entire picture for that game.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/DDO_Store_Guide
Lt. Commander
# 67
10-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Technically you are correct, but in my opinion in-game currency needs to be used to be useful, and the primary use of in-game currency is for in-game items.

DDO allows direct purchase of various in-game items including weapons and armor which are superior to the rewards you would receive for completing missions at low to mid levels. These items are available immediately at level one provided you have paid real money.

So in my opinion to say that DDO does not allow the purchase of in-game currency, while technically correct, does not display the entire picture for that game.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/DDO_Store_Guide
And that is no different than the T5 ships being sold in the Cstore. However, in those other games they are not limiting how much in game currency you can earn per day, which is used to buy the normal in game gear.