Lt. Commander
# 21
10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeleca
Agreed, I'm leveling far too quickly, I'm a Commander and haven't finished more than 1/4 of the Lt and LtCmd missions. I haven't had to do a single patrol or exploration. I'm going up a rank every single time I play the mirror fed mission - I've ranked up 3 times in an hour from that before + another 3 ranks just from DOFF stuff.

I don't know if ranking is accelerated for Tribble so we can try stuff, but if not then this is seriously bad for the game.
It's extremely accelerated on the Tribble Server for the purposes of getting people to push on through and get the higher level stuff tested as well.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeleca
Agreed, I'm leveling far too quickly, I'm a Commander and haven't finished more than 1/4 of the Lt and LtCmd missions. I haven't had to do a single patrol or exploration. I'm going up a rank every single time I play the mirror fed mission - I've ranked up 3 times in an hour from that before + another 3 ranks just from DOFF stuff.

I don't know if ranking is accelerated for Tribble so we can try stuff, but if not then this is seriously bad for the game.
I have to point out something:

The missions scale but only give insane SP the first time you play them.

What's the point in making them scale if they don't give more skillpoints?

I'm really convinced they want to lessen the amount of content needed to cap out substantially in order to reduce the number of Klingon missions they'll need to create and alleviate the problem where most of the playerbase gets stuck at Lt. and Lt. Cmdr when they want everyone at 51 so they can focus on making level 51 content.

Even Stahl said they were struggling to get everyone at endgame and to complete all story missions so they could focus on follow-up stories and progressing the game's timeline at endgame.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Though the thing is, my characters are already leveling too quickly on 'HOLODECK', and easily out-rank the rewards being offered for missions. The introduction of the Doff system onto 'Holodeck', (as well as the need to grind for Dilithium to afford new ships...) is going to make this problem much much worse. If missions are implemented to scale with the character, then the rewards should scale as well... (Or implement a 'voluntary' level cap so a character can complete his level-ranked missions without out-growing them...)
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-10-2011, 09:17 PM
yeah, getting Lt level loot for Cmd8 missions stinks
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-10-2011, 10:24 PM
This is going to be a sticky situation, with level scaling, they have to increase the rewards for the additional work or you'll have tons and tons of complaining about doing what is a level 10 mission even though you got it at 5 or so and would get level 5 rewards, you cant make people work harder without rewarding them for their time.

But then you have problems with more skill points, its a trade off and I dont think you can have crappy rewards and level scailing or people will feel like its wasted time.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Though the thing is, my characters are already leveling too quickly on 'HOLODECK', and easily out-rank the rewards being offered for missions. The introduction of the Doff system onto 'Holodeck', (as well as the need to grind for Dilithium to afford new ships...) is going to make this problem much much worse. If missions are implemented to scale with the character, then the rewards should scale as well... (Or implement a 'voluntary' level cap so a character can complete his level-ranked missions without out-growing them...)
Most people who aren't on the forums aren't leveling as quickly.

Beyond that, the very idea of leveling hurts the ability of development teams to focus on new, progressive content.

There are non-level based form of progression. I maintain that the ideaof leveling in an MMO, beyond a tutorial phase, is daft. I know, I know, it gives you that RPG feel. Well, I think MMOs need to kick some RPG elements to the curb and numeric leveling is one of those things for me.

Right now, for instance, they have a story arc blocked out that requires everyone to be an max level. There's no such thing as leveling too fast in that sense because that content requires that everyone has played certain prior missions and is level capped. You can have endgame or you can have people leveling but if you think le3veling is too fast and there's nothing to do at endgame, the ONLY way to have more to do at endgame is to start insta-leveling players so that the audience is at endgame.

Cryptic can't develop endgame without shortening the leveling process even further because most folks aren't making it to endgame and they have to develop for where most of their players, current or former, are.

Either leveling has to be dramatically faster or the idea of endgame has to be abandoned indefinitely while they continue to devote content team to leveling or levelless content. If you want endgame content, it means everyone needs to be at endgame and spend a minimum of time leveling.