Lt. Commander
# 31
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
.....we are listening to feedback.......
"Listening" and laughing at the reaction is still just plain Ignoring.
  1. To be Declared
  2. Coming Soon
  3. In a couple of weeks
  4. On a Regular Basis
  5. Nothing should change
  6. Everything is Better
  7. Nothing is the Locked
  8. New Game Enhancements
  9. We've Heard it All before.
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell83
"Listening" and laughing at the reaction is still just plain Ignoring.
  1. To be Declared
  2. Coming Soon
  3. In a couple of weeks
  4. On a Regular Basis
  5. Nothing should change
  6. Everything is Better
  7. Nothing is the Locked
  8. New Game Enhancements
  9. We've Heard it All before.
Do it right Cryptic. Learn from others' past mistakes and F2P could be the best thing ever to happen to you, PW, and the Star Trek gaming community
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
T dont think anyone should take any assurances that the team is listening or that changes are coming as actual solutions until we see the actual results.
Actions speak louder than words....

Act, and we shall believe.

Act first.
Then, and only then, shall we believe you.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelkart.Marne
This is exactly why I *am* afraid. I never went after emblems, but now apparently I must go after Dilithium to get much of anything done.
EDIT: Actually, I'm going to dial this back a bit, since we're (hopefully) so early in beta that it's too soon to get bitter and jaded. I'm not sure that the path-to-F2P won't be corrected enough to hurt the game experience when it goes live, but there's no sense in resigning that it will.

So here goes... here are a few big hurdles that certainly instil some fear into me:
  • Everything costs Dilithium, and Dilithium is a proxy for C-Store points. Once the Dilithium/C-Store points exchange goes live, we'll see how glaring his problem is. Looking past that, there are some great opportunities to it that Cryptic could take advantage of, and I hope that happens. Specifically, Dilithium is a more flexible currency than emblems, merit, badges, etc., and it's FAR more flexible than ship tokens. I think that we were on a better path before, when you just got XX dilithium on rank-up, rather than the rebate tokens. You could hoard them and do whatever you liked with them, that way. The trouble was the gap between what you were given by Quinn and what you needed to level. Once the story-missions revert to their original XP-gain and we're forced to grind harder between levels, this will be less of an issue. But it's still detrimental to the overall levelling experience and is unnecessary (we grind for ranks already, why ships too?).
  • T5 ships have been pushed into the C-Store as DLC content, rather than an expected reward for advancement. Fixing this is easy, just add substantial Dilithium rewards for RA-Upper and VA again, and make the T5 ships accessible for a reasonably close amount to what is rewarded at VA. Done!
  • The crafting system is broken, and needs to be restored. Odd-numbered marks serve no purpose (before Mk XI, and including that once XII is more prevalent), and short of getting rid of them altogether, there's no reason to use any of them. Restore everything to their original even-numbered levels, add some recipes to the end for Mk XII gear, and call it a day.
  • Prices for emblem/badge equipment are completely, completely wrong. Approximately 10x what we currently have in Live, which is wildly unacceptable. The emblem grind felt about right, and there's no reason to change that, outside of artificially inflating C-Store point sales. Let's keep this honest, and shift the decimal back over to the left 1 place, and we're square here as well.
  • Fix the various bugs and annoyances introduced into the early Klingon side in F2P (Mk2 items granted when starting at Lvl18, boring and unfinished tutorial mission (talk to a bunch of guys that I'll never, ever interact with again? Why!?), etc. This stuff is so glaringly obvious that it really must be on a whiteboard at Cryptic HQ already.
  • Pricing on the C-Store is subject to change. We get that. But pushing more ships into the Galaxy-X and Gauramba bracket is ridiculous (MVAM for a start). $20 for a single ship? Turbine sells an entire expansion for that... this is the kind of thing that sours us all on your intentions guys, rein those prices back in!
Will all of that happen before F2P goes live? We have no way of knowing, but if it does, then there's nothing to be afraid of.
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I just want to take a moment to remind you all that we are listening to feedback, and actively working to get the changes that we will either make perceptions better, or wholly alleviate concerns onto Tribble ASAP. However, it does take time to go through this.

A big part of the reason for the F2P beta is so we can really drill down on the economy and have all of your expert feedback on it before it goes to Holodeck.

Another thing to remember is that this is a much longer testing period than you are used to seeing. It's a big job to test everything on Tribble right now, gather feedback and data, and then make changes. This isn't a small update to the game by any means, and we're working really hard, with your help, to test this update before it goes live.

Thanks,

Stormshade
In other words Stormy is saying they are looking NOT to repeat the problems they had when Season 4 slammed down and instead to give this a heavy beating down to ensure all the bugs get nailed to the ground.

I would say do not "Fear" the future. Instead pay attention to what is happening and give Cryptic your thoughtful and civil feedback. Tell them what you are liking about the new system and what is concerning you so they can try to make it all good and cut out whatever is bad.

Also, do not be afraid that anything you hear about will SUDDENLY pop onto Holodeck because as Stormy said it is going to be a long testing period and I am sure they will be very happy to tell us when it is about to go live because that is going to be an awesome day for the Devs to celebrate their final recreation. So when you see things that worry you, discuss them and let Cryptic know why you feel concerned about them and if you can think of a good solution it is good to offer that up as well but do not be scared.
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimtomisbehave
EDIT: Actually, I'm going to dial this back a bit, since we're (hopefully) so early in beta that it's too soon to get bitter and jaded. I'm not sure that the path-to-F2P won't be corrected enough to hurt the game experience when it goes live, but there's no sense in resigning that it will.

So here goes... here are a few big hurdles that certainly instil some fear into me:
  • Everything costs Dilithium, and Dilithium is a proxy for C-Store points. Once the Dilithium/C-Store points exchange goes live, we'll see how glaring his problem is. Looking past that, there are some great opportunities to it that Cryptic could take advantage of, and I hope that happens. Specifically, Dilithium is a more flexible currency than emblems, merit, badges, etc., and it's FAR more flexible than ship tokens. I think that we were on a better path before, when you just got XX dilithium on rank-up, rather than the rebate tokens. You could hoard them and do whatever you liked with them, that way. The trouble was the gap between what you were given by Quinn and what you needed to level. Once the story-missions revert to their original XP-gain and we're forced to grind harder between levels, this will be less of an issue. But it's still detrimental to the overall levelling experience and is unnecessary (we grind for ranks already, why ships too?).
  • T5 ships have been pushed into the C-Store as DLC content, rather than an expected reward for advancement. Fixing this is easy, just add substantial Dilithium rewards for RA-Upper and VA again, and make the T5 ships accessible for a reasonably close amount to what is rewarded at VA. Done!
  • The crafting system is broken, and needs to be restored. Odd-numbered marks serve no purpose (before Mk XI, and including that once XII is more prevalent), and short of getting rid of them altogether, there's no reason to use any of them. Restore everything to their original even-numbered levels, add some recipes to the end for Mk XII gear, and call it a day.
  • Prices for emblem/badge equipment are completely, completely wrong. Approximately 10x what we currently have in Live, which is wildly unacceptable. The emblem grind felt about right, and there's no reason to change that, outside of artificially inflating C-Store point sales. Let's keep this honest, and shift the decimal back over to the left 1 place, and we're square here as well.
  • Fix the various bugs and annoyances introduced into the early Klingon side in F2P (Mk2 items granted when starting at Lvl18, boring and unfinished tutorial mission (talk to a bunch of guys that I'll never, ever interact with again? Why!?), etc. This stuff is so glaringly obvious that it really must be on a whiteboard at Cryptic HQ already.
  • Pricing on the C-Store is subject to change. We get that. But pushing more ships into the Galaxy-X and Gauramba bracket is ridiculous (MVAM for a start). $20 for a single ship? Turbine sells an entire expansion for that... this is the kind of thing that sours us all on your intentions guys, rein those prices back in!
Will all of that happen before F2P goes live? We have no way of knowing, but if it does, then there's nothing to be afraid of.
One thing with the crafting system. I know some will hate me for this suggestion but here goes: Make the Crafting System able to do all it used to BUT make the things you can buy with Dilithium at VA rank MK XII instead of XI and do not allow crafted XII gear. I should not have to explain why this is a good idea and yet reasonable.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-12-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm still scared, someone hold me :/