Lt. Commander
# 101
10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Ah, me, I have to raise my opinion of our good "temporary EP" by several notches.I haven't laughed so hard in months.

I want everyone to stop .. pause... and think.

You're a Cryptic EP. You have all kinds of horrible rumors going, and for whatever reason, you've... decided .. to test out certain things on Tribble.

Without running it past the community first.

Some of this is due to "if they try it they may like it". Some of it is due to "PW is telling us they want this in".

What is the single best way to not say anything but leave yourself room for maneuver? I quote.

Quote:
We are not telegraphing changes until we get a chance to try them out internally to make sure that they’re satisfactory. Usually this happens all the way up until the next build makes it to Tribble. I have told the team that it's better to be quiet than to post answers that turn out to be different from what we actually end up doing. Misinformation can be worse than silence in some cases.
Great gods, you're all missing the point. The man clearly understands that going dark is going to be seen as bad. So why would he do such a fool thing DELIBERATELY, and then TELL you, knowing it's going to **** you off?

Read it again, closely.

"Misinformation can be worse than silence in some cases"

Whatever is in the pipeline, I think, is something that is being done piecemeal. The pricing changes, linear progression, breakout of ranks, whatever they're fiddling with -- is part of something larger. Going into details about it before they have it ready -- what ever it is -- must look so bad that to respond is WORSE in his eyes than to simply be transparent.

Talking about ethics and business morals and all that is quite intellectual , but I think Occam's Razor should be used daily.

"Why is the dev team not being transparent?"

"Answer: Transparency would drive away more people than silence will".

Think about that. No other logical reason exists for why he would make this sort of statement, if not to get people so riled up about the SILENCE ... that you don't ask yourself "Oh, crap, why silence now?"
Lt. Commander
# 102
10-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
I've been reminiscing about the time I played FFXI. Holy shamolie, that game was Grindtastic. If it were a Middle East dictator, it'd be Grindam Hussein. If it were a star, it'd be Grindulus. If it were a pop star, it'd be Michael Grindson.
Oh, lord. Thanks for reminding me about my time in FFXI. While I loved the graphics, music, and whatnot (I am a huge Final Fantasy fan and have played pretty much every one of the main numbered games), I absolutely detested the grind and being forced to group or take massive numbers of XP hits. Aside from the grind, I also hated the fact that you could level DOWN with their death penalty. STO as it is on Tribble right now is tame, comparatively speaking, but still not casual friendly.
Lt. Commander
# 103
10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm glad Cryptic is no longer letting in the customer base on the development process until something is actually developed. Not everyone can scower the dev tracker so its nice to see the message being delivered in one place.

I still haven't had a single email to my registered account by Cryptic or Perfect World telling me this blog site exists or that the game is going F2P - what kind of communication is that?

Hopefully we'll see a large build of fixes and updates hit tribble this week, because its starting to get a little stale.

Lt. Commander
# 104
10-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSpot
Well, honestly, if you want us to stop making the correlation then you should stop doing things just how they were done in PWI. Those of us that have played that game for any length of time see the same stuff happening here on Tribble that ruined that game for us.

Also, I'm a bit confused about Stormshade constantly referring to PWE, does that mean you were bought by the American subsidiary and not the parent company of PW Co. Ltd? So Cryptic is a subsidiary of a subsidiary?
PWI is Perfect World International, and is their most popular MMO. PWE is Perfect World Entertainment and is the company behind PWI and many others.

I've referred to them as PWI before, it's almost interchangeable.
Lt. Commander
# 105
10-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Angelo
I have been reading the forums and it's clear that some people are attributing gameplay changes to the transition to the free-to-play model. The truth is that with the exception of C-Store changes, very few of the changes being made to the game are related to this transition. Instead, almost every change is intended to make the game better for everyone. Going free-to-play is our chance to expose millions of new users to the game, and we want Star Trek Online to be bigger and more fun than it has ever been before.
This is a bit disingenuous. You're significantly changing your revenue model. We get it. Some may "blame" you for this. In the end I think most understand that it's just business. Calling it "Free to Play" is no different than calling it "Bob." The name means nothing. What matters is the underlying substance of the change, and it's clear what that is: A switch from subscriptions to C-Store item sales as your PRIMARY source of revenue and profit.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that. Some people will take issue with it; some will get hung up on terms and feel "cheated." On the whole, by my estimate, someone who is smart about how they spend their money on the game will most likely pay somewhat less and get somewhat more out of the game than many subscribers have up to this point. Players will also have at least a little more choice in when and how and how much they give you their money, and choice is good. But this is at bottom a business model change, and of course a change in your business model drives ALL changes in your product model. You would have to be really, really bad at your job if it did not.
Lt. Commander
# 106
10-12-2011, 08:12 PM
The question wasn't about PWI, but PWE and PW Co. Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII
PWI is Perfect World International, and is their most popular MMO. PWE is Perfect World Entertainment and is the company behind PWI and many others.

I've referred to them as PWI before, it's almost interchangeable.
We got schooled on this by one of the community reps back in the early days of PWI...

Perfect World Entertainment is the American Subsidiary.
Perfect World Company Limited is the Chinese parent company.

So is Cryptic owned by the parent company or the American Subsidiary? Looking at Wikipedia (Yes, I know... that's why I'm asking for clarification) says it is a subsidiary of the subsidiary. Stormy constantly saying PWE supports this information.
Lt. Commander
# 107
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Thank you to those of you who took the time to post on this thread with a positive thought or two. I appreciate that some of you ware willing to give the dev team the benefit of the doubt right now.

I admit that this blog entry contains no factual information about what is changing in the game. I could have simply skipped posting, but I chose to take some time to tell you all that we understand your frustration. What we have on Tribble isn't right, and our rate of fixing things isn't as fast as you want. I can't speed up the rate of fixing things. All I can do is ask that you all be a little more patient as we work this through.

I understand that patience is hard. But I ask you to understand that the dev team simply can't deliver what you want as fast as you want it. To paraphrase the old Engineer, "We canna' change the laws of physics!"

We will keep doing our best to communicate, but I want to avoid mis-information. I'm certainly not trying to hide anything, as at least one poster suggested. But I know for certain that if I posted something like "we'll definitely do this" and then the next day posted "no actually we'll do that", that some people would read one and not the other, and still others would read them out of order, and others would complain that we obviously don't know what we're doing. So I'm going to stick to talking about things that are live on Tribble or coming to Tribble soon whenever I can.

There are a bunch of things I really don't like about what we have on Tribble that we'll definitely work on. The economy is still not ready, but I'm hopeful that this week's build will bring it closer, and I think that given two more builds after that, then it'll really be clean and feel good. And I agree with the posters that said that the non-skippable, linear episodes are bad. I hate that, too. Will it be changed this week? No. But we'll be looking for a good way to get that feeling better before we go to Holodeck. That kind of fix doesn't need many weeks of testing to make sure it works, so I don't have my team fixing it right now. The priority is going to things that need a longer test cycle. But we're building a list of smaller problems that are still "must fix"... just not "must fix early in the test".

For those of you that have things you don't like about what is on Tribble, go post in the Tribble forums. We are reading and we are tracking things that we will need to fix.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
# 108
10-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
There are a bunch of things I really don't like about what we have on Tribble that we'll definitely work on. The economy is still not ready, but I'm hopeful that this week's build will bring it closer, and I think that given two more builds after that, then it'll really be clean and feel good. And I agree with the posters that said that the non-skippable, linear episodes are bad. I hate that, too. Will it be changed this week? No. But we'll be looking for a good way to get that feeling better before we go to Holodeck. That kind of fix doesn't need many weeks of testing to make sure it works, so I don't have my team fixing it right now. The priority is going to things that need a longer test cycle. But we're building a list of smaller problems that are still "must fix"... just not "must fix early in the test".
I sure hope the "doesn't need weeks of testing" and "Isn't a priority" part is just the linear episodes, and not the Economy. Because Tribble is flat unplayable with the current economy.

As for the rest...it's the same spiel we've been hearing since Tribble dropped. Which was...two weeks ago? And now the news that ships obtainable ingame (Delta Flyer, Midgame Excelsior, Nebula) are being locked into the C-Store...eh.
Lt. Commander
# 109
10-12-2011, 08:51 PM
therefore its just the "test"server
Lt. Commander
# 110
10-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Mr D'Angelo, the tribble section is considered a black hole with good reason by this community which is why we tend to jump on these threads. Human nature causes us to tend to go to areas that leap out at us and, for some, scrolling down is just too much like work. The other reason that we feel that anything out of information and discussion is a black hole is because, frankly, it has historically been just that. The CStore section doesn't get responses to queries or comments and the Tribble section only gets responses to a small percentage of posts.

I realize that this isn't really the fault of Cryptic but it is the way it is and it is going to take more responsiveness from Cryptic to change this interpretation of the lower sections of the forums. Believe me, I am fully aware of the fact that they are monitored, but by the same token, they seem to be a bit of a desert of reliable information.