Lt. Commander
# 21
10-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
that is very true. Then what things do you think should remain daily? Are you just saying the exploration and PVP's should no longer be daily, or anything that is currently daily should be made not to be?
I'm saying why not just make everything give DL ore as a reward and have no dailies. Because again, it really makes no difference how much you earn if you can only refine the daily amount. That way at least people can go about earning it the way they prefer and not feel like they have to do something they dont like(like PvP or Foundry missions or whatever) just to get enough ore to refine.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
I would like to hear why Merits have been removed then?
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the blog sdangelo, it's good to know the marcom-version on the thinking behind the economy

Not sure I'm fully on-board yet. You need to bring back the VA token. Subscribers weren't supposed to lose anything.

If you hadn't blown-up the C-Store prices then subscribing for a $15/mo per character unlock token that can't be discharged/recovered, wouldn't be an exploit over an as currently priced $15 C-Store ship that unlocks per account and can be reclaimed as often as desired.

Also, I too what to know when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
What happened to that whole "next week we'll talk about what happens to your characters when F2P goes Live" bit?
...we get an answer to this. Because I've put in a LOT of time to my existing Holodeck characters. Yes, LOTS of time on CharacterS. I expect that time to not be wasted or washed away in a cruddy conversion system.

Also as other have pointed out in the Blog #10 thread. Dil items aren't that desirable if we can craft or STF for better items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
In fact, as long as there is a daily refinement cap then there is no reason to limit anything to a daily. Because no matter how much ore you might earn, you still couldnt refine more than the daily amount.
Excellent point.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Angelo
In order for this all to work, we need to have something valuable that is only available for Cryptic Points, and we need something valuable that is only available for Dilithium.
FALSE.

C-Store points should be a shortcut to get something available for Dilithium. If something is only available for C-Store points, and it has a game-play affect (say, an extra console slot or an extra Boff Slot), then it's pay to win.

And please, stop insulting our intelligence by saying you can trade for Dilithium and get C-Store points and get something sans real world money. Money is paid into the system in order for those C-Store points to exist at all.

The public lines about the Dilithium exchange system and the TX.5 ships are transparent lies, and they're not even half-believable.

The system can work if the C-Store to Dilithium conversion rate is fixed at a certain rate, so that C-Store points are faster and cheaper than grinding Dilithium. Impatient players will buy C-Store points, patient players will grind Dilithium and exchange, but the idea of gating certain ships or gear or what-have-you in order to force those conversions and justify money gouging is immoral and unacceptable.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Like the post; cleared up a lot. Looking forward to the next blog post.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
It is very good to hear more of the reasoning behind the new economy, especially how EC is mainly for casual play while DL is more fore hard core play. That definitely helps me see exactly what your going for here, and how DL isnt even "needed" if you just want to play casually.

That said, the lack of a VA token is still an issue for people who are going to be subscribing every month. So how about this as a solution to that issue?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=236237
omg, when will you people learn why they dont give va tokens. im a monthly sub and that does not bother me. i understand the concept. sorry to say this. its not a bash or flame or troll but you really have to be "dumb" if you cant see why.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJabroni View Post
What you folks are going for with the economy is pretty much what I assumed before this announcement. Because of that, I've been tolerant of the wackiness, and I think you've done a good job so far with the feedback, even though there probably are still wrinkles to iron out. Overall, I think it's a neat idea, and there seem to be a lot of options to earn dilithium, and the gating via refinery is a neat idea to moderate things.

However, I'll reiterate my biggest gripe: There is not that much differences between rarity of items.

So far we've gotten a fairly minor boost in damage based purely on rarity. The [Dam] quality adds what, half a mark to damage? Whoopdie doo. The [Acc] bonus is pretty much a throwaway quality outside of PvP. The [CritH] adds a measly 2% bonus to crit chance. The [CritD] quality is actually somewhat nice as it is, though.

Do something to make the rarity equate the time/money investment it would take to earn the items. The easiest thing to do would be bump up the damage bonus based on rarity. The [Dam] quality could use a beefing to make it worthwhile. Even better, having rarity boost the chances or magnitude of proc effects, even by a little, would be pretty cool.

As it stands, I just feel like you're saying if I come to your house, you'll give me a sandwich. If I do all of your chores and walk your dog every day for a week, you'll throw in a handful of chips.

I don't want a [Win] quality, but it's pretty silly that one dude with the purple Freak Beam Mk X [Acc] [Dam]x2 has almost the same item as the other guy with the green Freak Beam Mk XI [Acc].
I agree, I am all for making Very Rare Items, Very Rare. Harder to get, but as is stated in the above. These Items should be More Special. Actually the new STF gear is a good example. They at least seem alot more special
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN1981
omg, when will you people learn why they dont give va tokens
They werent going to give ANY tokens a week ago, but now they are in response to player feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJabroni View Post
I don't want a [Win] quality, but it's pretty silly that one dude with the purple Freak Beam Mk X [Acc] [Dam]x2 has almost the same item as the other guy with the green Freak Beam Mk XI [Acc].
This is something the Season 4 changes never really addressed. It tried to, but the only difference is that a purple in a given tier WILL be slightly better than a common in that same tier. It should be more than slightly better to incentivise you to spend dilithium or crafting resources. And those purples should still give advantage in the next tier, but not at the expense of removing the incentive to go for the purples in that following tier.

This feeds into another issue, which is that we actually spend a rather short time in each rank to really need to upgrade our gear, and since we have so few item slots its hardly worth the time until later in the game or if you are on a higher difficulty setting from lower levels.

THAT should be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphigory View Post
I would like to hear why Merits have been removed then?
So we have something to sink EC into. The rationale could be that all the resources put into teaching your tactical officer High Yield torpedo (the holodeck hours, the simulations, the weapons testing etc) expended ship's energy in some way.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-13-2011, 07:13 PM
The only good thing that I'm taking from this latest dev blog is that the Dilithium prices are going down considerably. Everything else sucks.

You still have a long way to earning this player's trust in the economy department. Give us back our VA token, remove or raise the refinement cap, fix the prices on the C-Store (1600-2000CP for a ship is way too much), and give us an IN-GAME method of earning C-Store items (and, no the Dilithium-to-CP exchange doesn't count as real money is exchanging hands somewhere in the process).

Quote:
The key thing to note here is that Cryptic will not be selling Dilithium, so there will only be as much Dilithium available as the player base wants to trade away. The laws of supply and demand come into play here. If Dilithium is difficult to come by, it will have a high value. If it's easy to come by, its value will decrease.
This is an extremely slippery slope that I do hope that you have considered. There will be plenty of people who are going to game the system, particularly the gold farmers. You think it was bad before for the EC spammers? If you insist on letting there be an exchange, at least offer the option of buying directly from you. Doing it this way just encourages what most other MMO companies consider "illegal".