Lt. Commander
# 1 Help the Cruiser Captain
09-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm an exploration cruiser retrofit captain (T5) and I wanted to know what I'm doing: right, wrong, and more importantly how can I improve to become better. Im strictly a PVE player because I do not know have the time for PVP. Below are my bridge officer skills and ship consoles that Im using. Can someone please help me?

Science Officer
Ensign Science Team 1
Lieutenant Feedback Pulse 1

Tactical Officer
Ensign Torpedo: Spread 1
Lieutenant Torpedo: High Yield 2

Engineering Officer #1
Engineering Team 1

Engineering Officer #2
Engineering Team 1
Reverse Shield Polarity 1
Extend Shield 2

Engineering Officer #3
Emergency Power to Weapons 1
Directed Energy Modulation 1
Emergency Power to Shields 3
Aceton Field 3

Tactical Consoles
Photon Detonation Assembly
Warhead Yield Chamber

Engineering Consoles
RCS Accelerator
Field Generator
SIF Generator
Inertial Dampener

Science Console
Biofunction Monitor
Induction Stabilizer

Weapons
4 Phaser Beam Arrays (2 Fore & 2 Aft)
4 Photon Torpedo Launchers (2 Fore & 2 Aft)

I have all of the following but as of right now Im not sure which is best for me and why?
Shields: Aegis Covariant Shield Array or Covariant Shield Array MK 10 [Cap] x3
Impulse Engines: Aegis Hyper-Impulse Engine or Hyper-Impulse Engines MK 10 [Turn]x2
Deflector Array: Ageis Graviton Deflector Array or Graviton Deflector Array MK 10 [Def] [DefD] [DefF]
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Yoooo

PvE is known to be exceptionally easy as such any build will work, however the community can help more if we knew what particular aspect that you struggle with?

Are you dying too often?
Not doing enough damage?
Playing on Elite by accident?

That being said what your using appears to be sufficient to get the job done PvE wise anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-24-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm not gonna give you a build, but I do have some ideas. First off, your science officer has feedback pulse. At level 1, and with skill spec and power settings usually used by a cruiser, you're not going to get a lot of oomph out of this power. I recommend instead hazard emitters 2. It gives a good hull heal over time, a bit of hull damage resistance, and it removes some rather unpleasant debuffs from both PvE (borg shield drainer) and PvP (engine plasma DoT and immobilization, hargh'peng DoT and secondary explosion) opponents.

You seem to be a torp lover, which again, is fine. It's not my preference, I like to balance my tactical abilities between energy weapons and torpedoes. But, I won't recommend any changes to your tactical officer. Torpedoes can be plenty nasty.

Engineering is where you have the most skill slots, so it's also the most involved to discuss. Judging from how you've setup, you seem to be focused more on shield tanking than hull tanking. So, the ensign with ENG team 1 I would say keep as is. I would not recommend aceton field 3 for the commander's top power. It's a difficult power to line up when you need it, and isn't all that potent. You're a cruiser, I'd say play to your strength. Personally, I'd look into picking up Aux to SiF 3. It's not the most powerful heal, but it gives you decent numbers, resist, and the cooldown is very short and doesn't trigger cooldowns on other heals. You'll get a lot of use out of it. I'd definitely lose the directed energy modulation. You are torp focused, which means you should be aiming to bring the shields down, not bleedthrough them a teensy bit with your beams. emergency power to shields 3 is magnificent, I'd say not only keep it, but give a copy of it (or the 2 version, if you'd rather not use that slot on it) to your lieutenant commander. The shared cooldown is the same as the power's duration, so you can have it up perpetually if needed. RSP 1 on your lieutenant commander is not something that'll help you much. The duration is short, and the cooldown is extremely long by comparison. Extend shields is an odd choice if you're not going to PvP, since that's its main utility. I guess if you want to use it to protect your saucer when separated it'd make sense. So, I won't advise either way what you should do with it, just that you should give it careful evaluation. Keeping emergency power to weapons may be prudent, especially with no tac skills devoted to your beams and consoles devoted solely to torpedoes. It can give your beams that little extra kick to help down a shield facing faster, so you can get the most out of those photons. It does impose a cooldown on emergency power to shields though. It's not the same length as the shared cooldown of 30 seconds. I think it's only 15, but it is something to keep in mind. Another worthwhile engineering power might be aux to inertial dampeners. It'll up your maneuverability considerably, give you very high hull resist bonus to kinetic (torpedo) damage, and render you immune to the effects of certain knockback and stun type effects.

Your weapons loadout I think needs a tweak as well. I'd definitely say drop one torp launcher on each facing and replace it with another phaser array. Torpedo launchers share cooldowns, so there is little advantage to mounting more than two of the same type on your ship. Using correct maneuvering (especially if you are separated), you should be able to go between fore and aft launchers pretty steadily, eliminating the utility of those two extras on each side. The extra beams however, will go a long way to pounding shields, letting you bring those torpedoes to maximum potency earlier in the fight. My only other suggestion might be looking into replacing your photons with quantum torpedoes. The shared cooldown is only a second longer, but quantums do more per shot damage, travel faster, and gain greater benefit from tactical torpedo abilities.

Shields, angines, and deflector I'd say keep as is. Aegis is a fine set that nearly any ship can get decent use out of.

Tactical consoles, I wouldn't recommend a change. Options are to switch to accomodate quantum torpedoes (should you choose to), or maybe switch to consoles designed to help your beams instead, which would be another matter of personal preference.

Engineering I'd change a lot. Field Generator is the one console I think damn near everyone uses at endgame. RCS Accelerator I'd drop. Even separated, your ship is not maneuverability based and does not benefit greatly enough to warrant a small bump to turn rate. Keep in mind the console calculates its bonus using your base turn rate. In a galaxy class, this is very low. Even separated, or with other maneuverability boosting powers or power settings applied, it is still only calculating the percentage of bonus based on this weak basic turn rate. Engineering consoles are golden, I'd say not to waste a slot on a very tiny turn rate increase for a cruiser. SIF Generators have utility, but mainly for healer builds. Your build isn't based very strongly on hull heals, as it doesn't contain things like eng team 3 anywhere. So I'd say lose this. Inertial dampener is doing nothing as the game is now. Right now, crew seems to have almost no effect, sadly. So having a console that keeps them from being injured, especially on a ship with a massive crew count, is pointless. Things I'd recommend taking would be an EPS flow regulator. While it's not the staple of starships it once was when it helped recover from weapon energy drain, it helps recover from full impulse faster, and if you like to change power settings at all while fighting, you'd better have at least one of these. Neutronium plating is an excellent idea. I'd use 2, personally. The returns to hull resist diminish, but you have massive hull HP, it is a strength of your ship. Every bit of damage to it abated will only make that strength greater. Should you choose to only use 1, then I'd recommend the final eng console to be something to boost a power setting. Either weapons or shields.

Sci consoles could use work too. I suggest the borg universal one from the borg set. It's great to throw in a science slot on a ship that doesn't get much use out of science powers. Biofunction monitor is a lot like inertial dampeners. It'd be extremely useful if crew really had much of a bearing on the combat. Just one seems to guarantee that you have no dead crew members. But, there's not much use for it as the game is now. So I'd suggest a Halon system to give your hazard emitters more kick. Other candidates for this second sci console are any of the other universal consoles that you may have and be able to utilize.

Took a while, so I hope this helps!
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
GorillaGrod has a good post, but let me add one thing: The 3 team skills (2 engineering team, science team) all have a shared global cooldown, and so one of those skills will never be used. I suggest you drop an engineering team. The science team will help your (or your teams) shields, and clear some science debuffs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2011, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't say one never gets used. If you don't need the sci team in a situation but the eng teams, you only use 2 of them, but in other situations, you might want to use the sci team and a eng team, which leaves the 2nd eng team unused in that situation. But in general, yes, get rid of one of the eng teams.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-28-2011, 08:34 AM
sci officer:

he 1 (gets rid of many debuffs + nice heals)
transfer shield strength 2 (VERY good shield heals)

sci team is not that good a shield heal as well as being mostly a sci skill cleanser (pvp oriented skill) and it's therefore not that useful. however against breen cruisers, having a sci team to heal that subnuc is helpful so when ur up against the breen - sci team 1 + he2

apart from that, if ur a pve player playing solo, get rid of the extend shields, as u cant use it on urself either way
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofabius View Post
I'm an exploration cruiser retrofit captain (T5) and I wanted to know what I'm doing: right, wrong, and more importantly how can I improve to become better. Im strictly a PVE player because I do not know have the time for PVP. Below are my bridge officer skills and ship consoles that Im using. Can someone please help me?

Science Officer
Ensign Science Team 1
Lieutenant Feedback Pulse 1

Tactical Officer
Ensign Torpedo: Spread 1
Lieutenant Torpedo: High Yield 2

Engineering Officer #1
Engineering Team 1

Engineering Officer #2
Engineering Team 1
Reverse Shield Polarity 1
Extend Shield 2

Engineering Officer #3
Emergency Power to Weapons 1
Directed Energy Modulation 1
Emergency Power to Shields 3
Aceton Field 3

Tactical Consoles
Photon Detonation Assembly
Warhead Yield Chamber

Engineering Consoles
RCS Accelerator
Field Generator
SIF Generator
Inertial Dampener

Science Console
Biofunction Monitor
Induction Stabilizer

Weapons
4 Phaser Beam Arrays (2 Fore & 2 Aft)
4 Photon Torpedo Launchers (2 Fore & 2 Aft)

I have all of the following but as of right now Im not sure which is best for me and why?
Shields: Aegis Covariant Shield Array or Covariant Shield Array MK 10 [Cap] x3
Impulse Engines: Aegis Hyper-Impulse Engine or Hyper-Impulse Engines MK 10 [Turn]x2
Deflector Array: Ageis Graviton Deflector Array or Graviton Deflector Array MK 10 [Def] [DefD] [DefF]
With the build i'm seeing here a have to be brutally honest with you. that is a very weak build your running
but then again i'm a full time PvPer so our play styles will without a doubt be very different