Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Mission Database
Login

Lt. Commander
Warning: This is an extremely text heavy mission. Don't even bother with it if you don't want to read!

Click here to watch the 3 minute review of the mission by BitesizeUGC.

Faction: Federation
Level: 16+
Length: 2-3 hours (depending on how much of the entirely optional dialogue you explore)*
Verified compatible with all difficulty levels (Normal, Advanced, Elite)

Presenting Task Force Odyssey
For the past 18 months, pirates have been plaguing the shipping lanes between Sol and DS9. Dozens of lives have been lost, and many tons of cargo have been stolen. Now the U.S.S. Odysseus has gone missing while out on patrol to find the pirates. Admiral Anita Gonzales from Starfleet Intelligence has assembled an anti-piracy task force to save the Odysseus, and Admiral Marconi has suggested you be a part of it. Help Task Force Odyssey investigate who is behind the attacks, and put an end to the pirate threat once and for all!

Find the Pirates? I think I've done this before...
I know, from the description it doesn't sound much. It's not an epic story. You aren't saving the Federation or the galaxy from imminent destruction. You're trying to find some pirates: ZzzZzz. I asked a friend for her initial impressions upon accepting the mission, and she told me it sounded generic. You know what? She was absolutely right! But the quality isn't in the premise, it's in the delivery. Finding pirates has been done in STO before, but never quite like this.

More ST, Less STO
My concept behind this mission was to try to capture more of the feel of a TNG or DS9 episode, and less that of an STO episode. In that vein, the mission is actually an investigation, and by that I don't mean you just drop in and blow up 10 ships and sort it out from the wreckage. You actually have to find clues to the identity of the pirates by investigating derelict freighters and completing text-based puzzles (hence the name of the mission, a bit of a play on words). What is more ST? Attend an actual task force briefing. Travel at warp. Explore strange systems for clues. Meet interesting characters who may provide help-- or not! Less STO means no excessive combat, no mindless "destroy 4/4 ships", and no single-handedly defeating 20 vessels by yourself-- you'll need help if you want to succeed.

An Interactive Story
So what exactly makes this mission different? I call it an interactive story because character interaction is a major part of the mission. You don't just click through every pop-up dialogue. Instead you select the response that fits your character. Depending on what you say, people will react differently. Some may help you if you respond correctly, but won't if you insult them. You can pick a fight, or try to talk your way out of a tough situation. It's all up to you! The dialogue trees in the mission are so extensive that I simply could not complete it until the S4 Foundry patch. Before that the Foundry became so bogged down that it was rendered completely unusable!

A Galaxy Of Characters-- You're just a part of it.
Things are happening aboard the Galaxy-X class, U.S.S. Atlas. You just happen to be there. The crew is having conversations amongst themselves. You can listen in if you want to hear more-- or not. It's your choice. Bend your ear to the local rumor monger, Cadet Pargu, who can fill you in on the most recent happenings. Or you can talk to Qig who might be able to "acquire" some goods for you-- just be sure to have something worthwhile to trade! Oh, and there's also some dissension in the ranks of the task force, but I don't want to give that away!

Final Thoughts
This mission has taken me well over 100 hours to complete. Unfortunately, that's not an exaggeration. It could even be almost double that amount of time (it's hard to tell at this point because I had to split off parts of the mission due to length). Part of that time was due to the Foundry being bogged down prior to S4, but the rest is just reflected in the effort I put into the maps, effects, branching dialogues, etc. I've probably devoted more time to creating some of the dialogues than others have spent on their entire missions.

If you enjoy story driven missions, and have a couple hours to spare, then I recommend giving Dereliction Duty a shot. And please feel free to mail me in-game with your feedback, or post it here (especially if you encounter a problem!). I'm always willing to listen to suggestions of how I can improve the mission, or make my future missions better. Thanks again!

Update 10/25/11
I was initially worried about the reception my mission would receive. While, I enjoyed making the mission, and felt satisfied with what I had achieved, upon publishing it I quickly learned it could take upwards of 3 hours to complete! I spent many hours making the mission, yet I found myself wondering if anyone would even want to spend the time to play it! One person who left a review said it took them more than four hours to complete, but fortunately they also said they enjoyed every minute of it.

To make a long story short, so far the reception to Dereliction Duty has been overwhelmingly positive, and has completely exceeded my expectations. At this point, If not a single more person played my mission, I would still consider it a success, and the time I devoted to it would be well spent. I'm extremely gratified that people enjoy the mission, and I want to thank everyone who played and provided feedback.

Update 1/24/12

The first part of the sequel to Dereliction Duty, Atlas Affair (Part 1) is now available in the Foundry! See this link for more details.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-10-2011, 06:00 AM
About the length, I was surprised to find out that you can apparently spend 3 hours on the mission if you take the time to interact with all of the characters and listen in on all the conversations. This may be a bit inflated because the person playing the mission was also proof reading, but in any case there's a lot of dialogue you can read.

A lot of the optional dialogue is front loaded on the U.S.S. Atlas, and you absolutely can skip all of it without it having any effect on the mission. You'll learn less about some characters, but if you're not interested, then just ignore it. If you want to read it, and you're enjoying yourself, then it's there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-11-2011, 01:48 AM
I had to withdraw and republish the mission because it seems the pop-up dialogues broke, and that caused the mission to break. I'm not sure why that happened, as I checked the mission upon publish and it definitely was working. These random Foundry bugs are extremely frustrating.

In any case the mission should be working again now. It seems like a few people really enjoyed the mission, but I also got a couple of one star reviews. I'm not sure if that's because the mission was broken or if they just didn't like it. I can definitely understand if people don't like the mission, but it would be nice if they would leave feedback as to why.

At this point, there's not really much I can do to change the storyline without just throwing the whole mission out, but at least if the problem was due to a bug it would be nice to know, so I can quickly get it fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I had to withdraw and republish the mission because it seems the pop-up dialogues broke, and that caused the mission to break. I'm not sure why that happened, as I checked the mission upon publish and it definitely was working. These random Foundry bugs are extremely frustrating.

In any case the mission should be working again now. It seems like a few people really enjoyed the mission, but I also got a couple of one star reviews. I'm not sure if that's because the mission was broken or if they just didn't like it. I can definitely understand if people don't like the mission, but it would be nice if they would leave feedback as to why.

At this point, there's not really much I can do to change the storyline without just throwing the whole mission out, but at least if the problem was due to a bug it would be nice to know, so I can quickly get it fixed.
Echoing my sentiments exaclty - I`m just learning the Foundry and my mission is kindergarten compared to what you have worked on but `didnt like it` is a bit disheartening seeing as I spent a long time thinking about the story and reasoning behind my mission.

I will deinitely look at your mish (assuming its fixed) - sounds worth a proper look.

oh btw love those PEGI style rating boxes on your banner - are they custom ?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-11-2011, 07:00 PM
The icons were made by someone named Tiuz. You can check them out here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/unc...ssion-posters/

Anyway, if you do play my mission, let me know your thoughts (good or bad). I'm not sure my mission is destined to be super popular. I definitely think it only appeals to a certain kind of person, and a lot of people (who want more action and less reading) will not enjoy it. But it was the kind of mission I wanted to make, and would like to play, so I'm not that concerned.

The premise of the mission also sort of boxed me in with how I could develop the story, since at first you don't actually know who the pirates are. So, that may have accentuated how reading oriented the mission ended up being.

In any case, I know probably put too much time into making the mission, but if a few people play and enjoy it then I will be satisfied.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-12-2011, 07:15 AM
I made a slight change to the end of the mission to prevent a contact from accidentally getting destroyed, making the mission so it couldn't be completed.

And also, just for fun, I made it so you can order a Raktajino or Earl Grey Tea at the Replimat on the U.S.S. Atlas.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I just played your foundry mission and was incredibly impressed with your use of Foundry mechanics; character-driven storyline(s); and custom-made maps! I can tell that you put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this mission and I hope you are encouraged by my words and others to begin a "Part Two" very soon!

Keep up the good work and I'll let me fleeties know to check out your mission!
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas.Nefarious
I just played your foundry mission and was incredibly impressed with your use of Foundry mechanics; character-driven storyline(s); and custom-made maps! I can tell that you put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this mission and I hope you are encouraged by my words and others to begin a "Part Two" very soon!

Keep up the good work and I'll let me fleeties know to check out your mission!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I admit to having been a little disappointed/annoyed when I received the two mysterious one star reviews. For a while I was wondering if I made a mistake even making anything in the Foundry. But, so far everyone besides those anonymous critics seems to have enjoyed the mission, so I'm happy with that.

If you haven't already left feedback in the game, I'd appreciate it if you would. It will help me counter the two mysterious ones I got right off the bat, and might help attract more people to the mission.

Part two is actually mostly done in terms of maps/events. I just have to put in the dialogue, which isn't a minor thing, but I don't think it should take me more than a couple of weeks. It's really stupid, but due to how bogged down the Foundry got prior to S4, I had to make the whole mission without dialogue and then add the dialogue all afterward. How annoying, right? I'm just thankful that the Foundry performance was significantly improved with S4, so I could actually finish the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Well, finlay weekend, so I have some time to play long missions, and I am going to yours now. When I finsh, I give you my feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Ok, I have just finish your mission. It took me near 2 hrs, but I think they were worth it.

The story, as you said, is simple.. you donít save the Federation here, but you manage to take a simple story and make it very interesting. Not only because you created 4 or 5 interesting characters (are they your toons?) but you also give us great mystery to resolve.
The technical use of the foundry was very good, you give us a lot of options to follow, and I appreciate that. Hoo, one question: Why you sometimes use a Constitution class for the contact NPC? You know you can use a Federation console as a promp, right?
The map were very good too, good job with the warp effect! The Atlas was great, but I have one suggestion, maybe rise a bit the roof of the Atlas, could be a bit uncomfortable with the game camera.

The mission is a 5/5, is a bit long, but I enjoy all the time. Well done and I cant wait for second part.