Lt. Commander
# 11
06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Typically there's two sets of shields. There's an outer "bubble" layer, and an inner "skin-tight" layer. The latter protects against impacts, and can be controlled at will. You may recall in Voy: "Equinox" that they dropped shields on specific sections of the ship (bridge, cargo bay, etc). More than likely, this was the "skin-tight" shield, not the "bubble".
The Nemesis Enterprise definately only had the 'skintight' shields, as evident from about 30secs in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRFY...eature=related

Before the start of Nemesis the Ent E had an extensive refit which probably included these new wrap-around shields.

If there was any way to get this into the game i'm all for it
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsta
The Nemesis Enterprise definately only had the 'skintight' shields, as evident from about 30secs in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRFY...eature=related

Before the start of Nemesis the Ent E had an extensive refit which probably included these new wrap-around shields.

If there was any way to get this into the game i'm all for it
I Dont think that's their shields that looks like its a combination of the navigational deflector and the structural integrity field
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbrayman View Post
I Dont think that's their shields that looks like its a combination of the navigational deflector and the structural integrity field
During the fight the Enterprise gets pounded on quite hard from above, where we see its skintight shields take a beating. After this Data reports that the shields are at 40%, and Picard has the ship roll over. So it seems they are the shields.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Agreed, I think in Nemesis it was the shields not fields and etc.
I could be wrong of course, but from watching the movie and that reference about the shields getting the snot kicked out of them, I am inclined to think it was the shields of the E.

Especially after hearing in First Contact, if memory serves, the E was said to be the most advanced starship of the fleet at that time so at least imo it fits.

I would soo love to have skintight shields on my ship.
It seems not too long ago the thought of separating starships into manageable "pets" was never going to happen and now look at what we have, the Galaxy R and MVAM.

I thought the skintight shields did make the E look a lot more technologically advanced compared to other ships of the series along with the sleek design and that is another reason why I think they would fit perfectly into STO.
The bubble shields look like imo that we went backwards rather than forward.

I know the saying about looks and all that, but just the same, it does imo look more futuristic.

At any rate all that aside, I think it would enhance the overall feel of the game, and while it may not seem like a "game changer" pretty much anything that can be done to make the game a more enjoyable experience gets a gold star in my book.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Well..after watching this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeYrk...eature=related

About 30 seconds in...you see a schematic of the shields....I does appear to be a wrap around shield.

I was mistaken in my orginal post.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-15-2011, 05:20 AM
The E in nemesis wasn't the only ship to have skin tight shields, you can see in this vid that the Enterprise A has them to and it is also displayed on the LCARS later. Also I noticed with the E you get the impact effect on the shield and not on the A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrc0Thr7FVc&feature=fvsr

Also here is a cool CGi version of the battle between the A and the bird of prey plus the excelsior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYg1lyUmXR4
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-16-2011, 03:19 PM
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Shields

Apparently the shield bubble is something new. Most vessels used skin tight shields until the 24th century when federation ships started to use bubble shields than went back, as seen in nemesis. So it is canon. The only reason I can think of going back to skin tight shields is maybe to save power since stronger armour plating has been made e.g. ablative armour which obviously minimizes damage dealt.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-16-2011, 03:55 PM
They used skin shields in Nemesis purely for the coolness factor.
I mean it wouldnt be as cool if one of the romulan ships wing piece bounced off a shield bubble. :p

Nah seriously though, the concept of skin tight shields is pretty inferior to the bubble idea.
Mainly because the energy fields arent a completely solid barrier, thus the bubble shield offers more protection from kinetic impacts while impact on a skin tight shield will result in kinetic energy being directed right into the hull.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-16-2011, 04:13 PM
*gets his shotgun* die zombie!
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
They used skin shields in Nemesis purely for the coolness factor.
I mean it wouldnt be as cool if one of the romulan ships wing piece bounced off a shield bubble. :p

Nah seriously though, the concept of skin tight shields is pretty inferior to the bubble idea.
Mainly because the energy fields arent a completely solid barrier, thus the bubble shield offers more protection from kinetic impacts while impact on a skin tight shield will result in kinetic energy being directed right into the hull.
True it was cool and it would be cool also it they add this in the game. I don't think skin tight shields are inferior. Maybe true that the kinetic damage dealt to the ship with bubble shields maybe less but like i said in my previous post with improvements to armour tech should help as well plus we have seen with bubble shields solid objects have passed the shield and with the nemesis skin tight shields we have seen that even shield objects won't go passed the shields. Each have there advantages and disadvantages. Also we see the the skin tight shields are not really that close to the ship so maybe still kinetic damage is still reduced.