Lt. Commander
# 1721
10-03-2011, 12:17 PM
kk so for the fun of it i wsa trying to go on tribble on my laptop 13" 2.4Ghz 320m (256MB) 8GB DDR3, and it won't even load Tribble with lowered graphics settings. In the meantime it is running Holodeck just fine.

I have a bad feeling about this.
Lt. Commander
# 1722
10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
They like to break things for us as much as possible while its still just annoyingly good fun for them. Maybe they'll eventually kill it altogether :-)
Lt. Commander
# 1723
10-03-2011, 09:49 PM
yeah i don't know i had STO running on 4 different macs now, using your port. I tried around as much as i could on my laptop, but it just keeps crashing.
Forgot to mention that i m on 10.7.1 in my last post. Let me know if there is anything i can do to help doh123. I would hate to intall Win just so i can join the F2P fun. ...Wasn't Stahl saying something about improving the games performance in one of the interviews. ...
Lt. Commander
# 1724
10-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam
yeah i don't know i had STO running on 4 different macs now, using your port. I tried around as much as i could on my laptop, but it just keeps crashing.
Forgot to mention that i m on 10.7.1 in my last post. Let me know if there is anything i can do to help doh123. I would hate to intall Win just so i can join the F2P fun. ...Wasn't Stahl saying something about improving the games performance in one of the interviews. ...
it wouldn't be the first update that completely killed the game... just hopefully I'd figure something out again :-)
Lt. Commander
# 1725
10-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Nevermind, I was able to get on. I just updated the Client on the PC side and then it worked fine on my MAC
Lt. Commander
# 1726 OS X Lion
10-12-2011, 11:57 AM
So I'm finally getting around to upgrading to Lion, and wanted to make sure that your port/wine/etc. would still work with Lion. Have there been any issues?
Lt. Commander
# 1727 OS X Lion
10-12-2011, 12:13 PM
So I'm finally getting around to upgrading to Lion, and wanted to make sure that your port/wine/etc. would still work with Lion. Have there been any issues?
Lt. Commander
# 1728
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
works the same in Lion...
Lt. Commander
# 1729
10-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
Have your tried the Video Options -> framerate stabilizer? When more is going on during movement and such frame rates always drop a bit... even on Windows. Its just if your pushing too hard on it, it'll drop so much you'll notice it.

My screen is a 1920x1200 screen, and yet I play in 1280x800... and its like double the frame rate as full res.

The newer builds can use AA and everything and even at 1280x800 it looks really nice... but there is still some major sound bugs I'm trying to figure out, or wait until they are fixed in WIne before it can really be used, because the sound is currently unusable its so bad.... but the newer builds do have better and slightly faster graphics. If the sound issue is fixed soon, that would be good.
I now tried a self compiled WINE 1.3.28 and .29 engine bundle and the problem with the extreme frame rate loss still persists. Also there is no Core Audio selection, so no sound is available.
I tried every graphics option and 1.3.29 gives virtually all access to any of them but nothing solves the frame rate issue except for things like half resolution and so, which make the game run smoother but the overall quality is a no go then, at least not at a high end machine.
It also doesnīt matter if I have Framerate Stabilizer and Limiter active or not or only one of them at a time. I may try reduced stabilizer setting for 40FPS, currently 60FPS of course but I donīt play at full screen.
Lt. Commander
# 1730
10-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSynthax View Post
I now tried a self compiled WINE 1.3.28 and .29 engine bundle and the problem with the extreme frame rate loss still persists. Also there is no Core Audio selection, so no sound is available.
I tried every graphics option and 1.3.29 gives virtually all access to any of them but nothing solves the frame rate issue except for things like half resolution and so, which make the game run smoother but the overall quality is a no go then, at least not at a high end machine.
It also doesnīt matter if I have Framerate Stabilizer and Limiter active or not or only one of them at a time. I may try reduced stabilizer setting for 40FPS, currently 60FPS of course but I donīt play at full screen.
not sure what you call extreme framerate loss... but it could be something to do with the GPU drivers. Some work much better than others... but being Apple there is little you can do about this.

1.3.29 and 1.3.30 can both run the game extremely well (for me) in all areas except sound. There are some graphics anomalies if you have AA disabled though... but it looks better with it on. The only reason I haven't upgraded the wrapper to a newer build is... I need to find the source of the audio problems.

Its related to the fact that Wine has overhauled the audio... requiring use of mmdevapi. In the wrappers up, mmdevapi is disabled in winecfg, so you'll get no sound. If you remove the entry for it so it can be used sound will "work" again, but its horribly distorted and echoes itself over and over again. This appears to be a problem unique to the mmdevapi changes in Wine and its CoreAudio driver... so its only affecting Mac OS X.
Closed Thread