Lt. Commander
Hi STO community,

I'm working on a series of video introductions to the Foundry, aimed primarily at new folks who come to the game after the F2P launch. I posted this video here, because I'm very curious if it makes sense to general players of the game, especially folks who've never messed with the Foundry.

So, if you're a STO player who knows very little, please give it a watch. Tell me what does or doesn't make sense. Is there anything that I can do to communicate more clearly? Would this video help you to make your first mission, or is it too complicated?

Thanks!

Please watch:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/unc...oundry-part-1/
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I like the tutorial. Cleared some things up for me. A tip: you over-explain a couple things like the Y coordinate values (not everyone is a total noob-cake, lol).
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Quinnell
I like the tutorial. Cleared some things up for me. A tip: you over-explain a couple things like the Y coordinate values (not everyone is a total noob-cake, lol).
This is interesting feedback, because my tutorials have been attacked on youtube for misrepresenting the actual nature of x, y, and z coordinates. It's like mappers are accustomed to many different definitions of what x, y, and z mean according to different editors, that they cry foul when I say things like z is up and down (on a 2d editor).

Thanks for watching. The feedback is greatly appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I think you made it pretty clear that Z meant up and down (or probably better described north/south if you wanna make it even better) in relation to the 2D screen you work with. Especially when you moved your curser UP and DOWN while describing it. Seemed pretty obvious to me at that point. To describe the Y coordinate better, just refer to it as the height setting in relation to either ground level or absolute zero.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Hi STO community,

I'm working on a series of video introductions to the Foundry, aimed primarily at new folks who come to the game after the F2P launch. I posted this video here, because I'm very curious if it makes sense to general players of the game, especially folks who've never messed with the Foundry.

So, if you're a STO player who knows very little, please give it a watch. Tell me what does or doesn't make sense. Is there anything that I can do to communicate more clearly? Would this video help you to make your first mission, or is it too complicated?

Thanks!

Please watch:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/unc...oundry-part-1/
Keep fighting the good fight Kirkfat, your site is a real asset to the game!
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Ta muchly.

I've had a few ideas for foundry missions floating around my head but now I may actually attempt them, or maybe after I see the other tutorials.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
Ta muchly.

I've had a few ideas for foundry missions floating around my head but now I may actually attempt them, or maybe after I see the other tutorials.
Thanks! Is there anything in particular that you'd like to see covered in parts 2 or 3?
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-17-2011, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Thanks! Is there anything in particular that you'd like to see covered in parts 2 or 3?
Well, if such things are possible...

-Custom hostiles
-Making things appear and disappear at certain points like effects and NPC's
-Getting that green and gold text

Perhaps that's ultra foundry noob stuff so if that information is readily available somewhere, point me in the right direction please
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-17-2011, 04:59 AM
Okay favourite and liked your video on YouTube.
Thatís the least I can do since I basically learnt from you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
Well, if such things are possible...

-Custom hostiles
-Making things appear and disappear at certain points like effects and NPC's
-Getting that green and gold text

Perhaps that's ultra foundry noob stuff so if that information is readily available somewhere, point me in the right direction please
By custom hostiles, do you mean enemies with customized skins?

Thanks for the suggestions. I will incorporate brief explanations of these things, although I probably won't get into the complexities of triggers until part 3.

Anyone else have requests?