Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
10-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
However I need to say that a ships Turn Rate has no impact on its Defence. I don't want people reading this and getting bad information.
Omg!! OMG!!! So, you NEVER move your ship so it takes more damage from a shield that is in better state?? My god!

Like I said, end of discussion for me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
10-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerritouru View Post
Omg!! OMG!!! So, you NEVER move your ship so it takes more damage from a shield that is in better state?? My god!

Like I said, end of discussion for me.
Please stop trolling my thread.

Edited to remove confrontational content.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
You are right. The simple fact is that since the changes to the Excelsior it is worse than it was. This is due to the fact that the console is not worth its slot so it has effectively lost its special transwarp abilities.

I think I will probably still use it but the Galaxy X is now pretty tempting. Because I dont bother with firing arcs the lower turn rate doesnt matter and the BO slots are almost as good.
Another thing that would make transwarp taking up a console on the Excelsior even MORE worthless, anyone who has gotten up the Diplomacy ladder (and it wont be hard with the DOff system) gets the ability to transwarp to space stations in most of the sectors anyways. Why have a console if my diplomat status does it for me?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
10-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Another thing that would make transwarp taking up a console on the Excelsior even MORE worthless, anyone who has gotten up the Diplomacy ladder (and it wont be hard with the DOff system) gets the ability to transwarp to space stations in most of the sectors anyways. Why have a console if my diplomat status does it for me?
Indeed I hadn't really thought of that. Diplomacy lets you transwarp to places so that you are no more than 1 sector from where you want to be and does not come with the Excelsior's built in chance of failure.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
10-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Apologies for the argumentative path this thread went down. It was intended to provide an alternative perspective on the Excelsiors new consoles.

If you feel that saving 3600 skill points is worth a console slot and a respec I urge you to use one of these new consoles. I might.

If you do not feel it is worth it and wont be using one of these new consoles I urge people to voice their disappointment to Cryptic regarding the loss of the Transwarp abilities for no return. Maybe with a calm and sensible discussion we can get Cryptic to take another look at the consoles.

Thank you for reading.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
10-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
Apologies for the argumentative path this thread went down. It was intended to provide an alternative perspective on the Excelsiors new consoles.

If you feel that saving 3600 skill points is worth a console slot and a respec I urge you to use one of these new consoles. I might.

If you do not feel it is worth it and wont be using one of these new consoles I urge people to voice their disappointment to Cryptic regarding the loss of the Transwarp abilities for no return. Maybe with a calm and sensible discussion we can get Cryptic to take another look at the consoles.

Thank you for reading.
I like this console, although it could be used to save skill points it's also a nice buff to the majority of the important Engineer skills, that it's universal and can be used in a Sci console slot just makes it even better as you lose a weak console for a useable buff plus the Transwarp options. I can't see what's not to like other than it can't be transferred to other Cruisers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
10-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
I like this console, although it could be used to save skill points it's also a nice buff to the majority of the important Engineer skills, that it's universal and can be used in a Sci console slot just makes it even better as you lose a weak console for a useable buff plus the Transwarp options. I can't see what's not to like other than it can't be transferred to other Cruisers.
I understand what you are saying but I challenge your words "nice buff".

I did a bit of number crunching with these consoles using the following skills:

Emergency Power to Shields I
Emergency Power to Shields II (so they had the same base stats)
Directed Energy Modulation II
Eject Warp Plasma II
Extend Shields I
Aux to SIF II
Aceton Field II

I figured this was a decent representation of the engineering skills available to all captains. Ok the engineers themselves have a few more but this is supposed to be for all captains. It is by no means a comprehensive list but it is adequate to prove my point.

Because the two consoles boost Efficiency skills and Performance skills instead of the Maintenance skills these listed abilities fall into two catagories. Those boosted by the Efficiency console (from the T3 Excelsior) and those boosted by the Performance console (T5).
(Where as every engineering skill in the game (give or take one or two) is boosted by one of the Maintenance skills.)

Efficiency:
Emergency Power to Shields I
Emergency Power to Shields II
Extend Shields I
Aceton Field II

Performance:
Directed Energy Modulation II
Eject Warp Plasma II
Aux to SIF II

So now for the results.

Emergency Power to Shields I: +34 shield regeneration for each facing. (1431 to 1465)
Emergency Power to Shields II: +46 shield regeneration for each facing. +1 Power setting for 30 seconds. (1908 to 1954. +32 to +33)
Extend Shields I: +2 shield regeneration per second for 30 seconds. (86 to 88)
Aceton Field II: +95 radiation damage over 30 seconds. (3 dps) (1711 to 1806)

Directed Energy Modulation II: No effect.
Eject Warp Plasma II: +9 radiation damage per second. (373 to 382)
Aux to SIF II: +166 hit points. +1 damage resistance. (4572 to 4738. +34 to +35)

So as you can see from these results, because skills are boosted by EITHER Efficiency OR Performance you have to pick which of your skills you want to boost even if you do want to use a console and even then the gain is negligable.

Now I don't want to come across as completely negative so I'm going to offer a possible solution to this.

I suggest the console be changed to offer a bonus to the 4 Maintenance skills. This would then make it boost all engineering skills slightly. However the magnitude of the boost must also be addressed because, as the numbers above demonstrate, the current numbers do not offer anywhere near sufficient bonus to be worth using.

I hope you found the above information informative.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
10-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I haven't been on Tribble yet but is this a universal console? (I think I was told it is). Assuming it is then it's going to go into a Science slot, so what do you really give up for the small buffs there and the Transwarps? 900HP over 15 seconds with a HE console?
The other thing you touched on there is that it also boosts several Engineer Captain skills like RSF, Nadion Inversion and EPS Power transfer and even Engineering Fleet, all of which are powerful skills in there own right. As this console stands right now (and again assuming it is universal) then it's a must have, the buffs may be small but it's across 7-8 skills with the loss of a weak Science console which will give only a small buff to 2 skills.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
10-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
I understand what you are saying but I challenge your words "nice buff".

I did a bit of number crunching with these consoles using the following skills:

Emergency Power to Shields I
Emergency Power to Shields II (so they had the same base stats)
Directed Energy Modulation II
Eject Warp Plasma II
Extend Shields I
Aux to SIF II
Aceton Field II

I figured this was a decent representation of the engineering skills available to all captains. Ok the engineers themselves have a few more but this is supposed to be for all captains. It is by no means a comprehensive list but it is adequate to prove my point.

Because the two consoles boost Efficiency skills and Performance skills instead of the Maintenance skills these listed abilities fall into two catagories. Those boosted by the Efficiency console (from the T3 Excelsior) and those boosted by the Performance console (T5).
(Where as every engineering skill in the game (give or take one or two) is boosted by one of the Maintenance skills.)

Efficiency:
Emergency Power to Shields I
Emergency Power to Shields II
Extend Shields I
Aceton Field II

Performance:
Directed Energy Modulation II
Eject Warp Plasma II
Aux to SIF II

So now for the results.

Emergency Power to Shields I: +34 shield regeneration for each facing. (1431 to 1465)
Emergency Power to Shields II: +46 shield regeneration for each facing. +1 Power setting for 30 seconds. (1908 to 1954. +32 to +33)
Extend Shields I: +2 shield regeneration per second for 30 seconds. (86 to 88)
Aceton Field II: +95 radiation damage over 30 seconds. (3 dps) (1711 to 1806)

Directed Energy Modulation II: No effect.
Eject Warp Plasma II: +9 radiation damage per second. (373 to 382)
Aux to SIF II: +166 hit points. +1 damage resistance. (4572 to 4738. +34 to +35)

So as you can see from these results, because skills are boosted by EITHER Efficiency OR Performance you have to pick which of your skills you want to boost even if you do want to use a console and even then the gain is negligable.

Now I don't want to come across as completely negative so I'm going to offer a possible solution to this.

I suggest the console be changed to offer a bonus to the 4 Maintenance skills. This would then make it boost all engineering skills slightly. However the magnitude of the boost must also be addressed because, as the numbers above demonstrate, the current numbers do not offer anywhere near sufficient bonus to be worth using.

I hope you found the above information informative.
Is there a way you can post a picture of the console specs from in game (I assume Tribble)??? My Tribble toon is only a Captain 1 and never had C-Store credits because I was buying DOFF crew like they were going out of style.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
those that think making the transwarp powers in a console is a nerf, consider this. transwarp is an out of combat ability, just keep them in your inventory and equip them when you want to use them, and uniquip them befor combat. its kind of annoying to have to do it, but at least you get a boost to efficiency and performance if you want it
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04 AM.