Lt. Commander
# 41
10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
What I don't understand, is how the same person, JJ Abrams. Who makes and produces the excellent Fringe series. Is the same person who gave us the abomination "Cloverfield" and the horrible 2009 Trek movie.

I just don't get it.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
I would make a quick revision to the idea that STO is in the Star Trek Prime universe. Any movies or TV series that take place after Nemesis is in the Star Trek Prime Universe. There are currently 4 alternate realities going on with Star Trek, the Prime universe, JJ universe, Novel universe, and STO universe.
With the Novel verse and the STO verse both claiming to be the Prime verse. Which sucks a bit, since I like them both.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard454 View Post
What I don't understand, is how the same person, JJ Abrams. Who makes and produces the excellent Fringe series. Is the same person who gave us the abomination "Cloverfield" and the horrible 2009 Trek movie.

I just don't get it.
because its personal opinion. no one can make stuff that will please everybody, everytime. I personally loved XI. so did many many people. if you look at other websites XI gets very high ratings.

a lot of complaints i see about the film are due to people perceived inconsistencies with what they know from trek. Most people could not care less if chris pine does not act like kirk, or delta vega is in the wrong place or the enterprise should have been built in space. most of the problems and complaints are things that most people just never even think about, but trek fans do. Even some of the films plot holes that are not specific to trek fans usually involve some basic understanding of time travel and physics that a lot of people dont even know or think about.

put it this way, you love fringe. if fringe had been a remake of a 1960 tv series that you watched as a kid, would you like it as much or would you judge it far more critically for every error?

i dont know what you do or dont like about XI, but i would be willing to bet if there had never been any star trek, and you watched XI without any star trek knowledge, you would probably like it more. just a guess.

cloverfield i will grant you was a bit poor, but im sure there are plenty of people who love it.
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Quote:

I just don't get it.
Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Personally I think Abrams, is largely a hack who throws together stuff that appeals to the lowest common denominator and glues it in place with science stolen from the rejected pile of tabloid magazines. But the thing about targeting the lowest common denominator is that you tend to get a sizable audience who thinks it's at least "OK", and a small population who think it's amazing.

edit:
I actually kinda' liked Cloverfield. It's The Blair Witch Project with a non-zero production value.
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
Time travel in reality is most likely impossible...
Weird. Seems like I've been slowly moving forward in time my whole life!

Sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCO
Weird. Seems like I've been slowly moving forward in time my whole life!

Sorry.
I travelled to the distant year 2,000 and all I got was a lousy MMO?
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Quote:

I just don't get it.
Why do people watch WWE when they know it's fake? It's about entertainment value, not quality.

Also, you cannot compare Fringe to Cloverfield. A television series audience is different than a movie audience.