Lt. Commander
I have levelled up my vulcan science officer primarily by doing episodes. I'm locked out of episode series that are "out of order", so I was unable to do any cardassian missions until I did all of the romulan missions, including the weekly series. I am assuming that's to make the narrative consistent, especially for new players (?)

My concern is that by the time I finished the romulan episodes I hit RALH, ~lvl 41. I have done only a few patrol missions, replayed one mission and have done no PvP or fleet actions on this character. There are still the cardassian episodes, breen, undine &tc. Is it your intention that we should be at or near max level before players have chewed through all of the episode content? If not, then perhaps lowering the episode rewards is something to consider?

One thing I just realized. I had been playing the DOFF system quite actively. In fact, I blew most of my c-store stipend on DOFF packs I used to nearly fill my roster (~87/100 at last count). Maybe I benefitted more from the XP awards from those than I might have if this was my first go through the game

EB
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-22-2011, 07:02 AM
They scaled it up some. They scaled it back down some after a patch.

I think what we initially saw on Tribble was overtuned but that it is their overall intent to require far less missions to hit the level cap as that makes bringing Klingons to a comfortable place and adding more factions easier.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm curious how these changes will impact future featured episode series. Will new players need to grind through all of the episode content just to get to these?
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
I'm curious how these changes will impact future featured episode series. Will new players need to grind through all of the episode content just to get to these?
Forced progression has destroyed the hope for more FE's. Even the current FE's no longer are living up to the F part and just another part of the train wreck on Tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Given my time in STO, I can understand how you feel that way. I share a large measure of the frustration I'm reading in your post, given what for me has been an extremely long time since new episodes have come out. This has tarnished, in my mind, the original promise of the FEs; bits of original content rolled out on a regular basis.

That said, as I put myself in the shoes of a total STO newbie, playing all of the episodes in order makes the whole game feel more coherent, and dare I say it, professional. There is one epic story arc spanning several sectors and different races. The story flows in a logical progression. And yes, the old episodes were really good and well put together.

I'm just not sure how the finished product will play for me. That remains to be seen.
EB
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I think the Episodes are bugged, at least i hope they are.
I have just hit RAUH and still cant finish the missions in Cardasia space. The level requirement is out of whack, especially considering the rewards are for Captains.

I guess i understand Cryptic trying to layout the mission progression in a particular order, but this needs a relook, if just to change the mission rewards to be rank appropriate.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
I have another Theory aside from the "tuned up XP" one.

They intend for players to be near the end game by the end of the Romulan episodes in order to make people think the game is flowing with Post VA Content and more reason to buy those C-store ships so you have more to blow up in them.

Conspiracy Theory? Perhaps, but it would make alot of sense given the new direction of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Another issue/problem with the forced episode path is that the Borg space (Gamma) doesn't appear to unlock until you hit that part. I leveled up to VA just running Doff missions and the Mirror Universe invasions, but can't access the transwarp gate to Gamma.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
Given my time in STO, I can understand how you feel that way. I share a large measure of the frustration I'm reading in your post, given what for me has been an extremely long time since new episodes have come out. This has tarnished, in my mind, the original promise of the FEs; bits of original content rolled out on a regular basis.

That said, as I put myself in the shoes of a total STO newbie, playing all of the episodes in order makes the whole game feel more coherent, and dare I say it, professional. There is one epic story arc spanning several sectors and different races. The story flows in a logical progression. And yes, the old episodes were really good and well put together.

I'm just not sure how the finished product will play for me. That remains to be seen.
EB
Wait until you play it a second time. I think first time through it may work but when you roll another then another it will look very unprofessional.

I understand what you're saying. I started running a KDF on Tribs. And the forced progression wasn't as bad. One reason because I've only gotten on KDF to cap so far. Another is a high commander. Another reason is the lack of content on KDF side so being led like a little puppy by Cryptic through their lack of content faction didn't seem as bad. But when the Fed side has more than enough to reach cap twice over, it gets really annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyrogers
Another issue/problem with the forced episode path is that the Borg space (Gamma) doesn't appear to unlock until you hit that part. I leveled up to VA just running Doff missions and the Mirror Universe invasions, but can't access the transwarp gate to Gamma.
I totally agree, I waited until I was almost VA to start the episodes, not only does the transwarp gate not unlock but its SILLY that the devidian missions are the first ones that start the series. I am in the midst of the episode from the admiral at ESD , and I am getting rewards that are USELESS to me at the level I am at. Plus I can't do ANY of the deferi dailys thus limiting the amount of dilithium that I can obtain.

I don't know WHAT cryptic reason was for doing that but this I know for sure is that if you limit people's freedom to play as they want, you wind up promoting bad behavior OR even worse leaving the game entirely. Admittedly there have to be some rules so as to keep it fair for all players, but saying that you HAVE to play the episodes in a certain order is counter intuitive. Also it serves to PUNISH the players that don't by not allowing them access to the dailies so that they don't have to pvp just to get the dilithium to get better gear.