Lt. Commander
# 151
10-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
*sign*^^

Really I agree with the OP.
The Mission design makes it even more stupid:
Also: its just silliy to arrive with a Fleet at the Vorn system. And who Beams down to the Planet? A bunch of security redshirts? Lead by the Tactical officer of the ship?
Nope. With the man-power of up to 5000 men and women lead by 5 Admirals... the 5 Admirals beam down into the dangerous enviroment. ALONE.

Well, on the other Hand I do not favor taking the "Admiral" rank from those away who want to have it.
The rank should simply be a Title that can be changed at will (well... the way its already possible) but with wich NPCs ADRESS you, too.

That had been suggestet multiple times, and Cryptics reaction was "We would have to Change EVERY SINGEL DIALOG in the game", wich is, IMO obviously, a lie.
The way NPCs adress you is obviously a Script. If I do a Mission as Commander they Adress me as "Commander"; if I do the same mission as Vice Admiral, they adress me as "Vice Admiral". So they just have to change that Script, everybody could keep the Rank he wants and... well (almost) everybody is happy...
Of course there would be still to many Admirals to make it "Realistic", but after all, there are also to many Galaxy-class prototypes, people running arround in Datet uniforms, !?!?!?Pakleds!?!?!? in charge of Strafleet ships, people running arround in Uniforms from other Universes.... If you still can all anything "Ingame" as "Uniform" in the first place.. So scaling the enviroment to any kind of Canon or realism just isnt reasonable anymore.

But beeing able to influence the OWN apperance the way you want, including the Rank, thats not unreasonable I believe...
I totally agree on this.

STO is a mess, canon wise. All Treks are mixed in one place, I personally don't like that. That's why I almost exclusively play solo. That's why I'm totally in favor of being able to influence my own appearance as much as I want. And I don't want to be an "Admiral" because, like we already said, "Admirals" in STO are nothing like Admirals are supposed to be. We always act as Captains so I personally would like to be capped at Captain's rank. Or choose my title appropriately.
Lt. Commander
# 152
10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
I totally agree on this.

STO is a mess, canon wise. All Treks are mixed in one place, I personally don't like that. That's why I almost exclusively play solo. That's why I'm totally in favor of being able to influence my own appearance as much as I want. And I don't want to be an "Admiral" because, like we already said, "Admirals" in STO are nothing like Admirals are supposed to be. We always act as Captains so I personally would like to be capped at Captain's rank. Or choose my title appropriately.
no we really dont always act like captains... perhaps you have never been to a stf or used all your special powers...

yet again another offensive person to such a great game...

well just another person to watch out for in the advent they grow up and past this childhood make believe stage and join us in the game for some content only to learn that he appeared on a ignore list and gets booted from the STF cause he rather be his own captain rather than a team player at supporting the game rather that this rubbish.
Lt. Commander
# 153
10-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmera
no we really dont always act like captains... perhaps you have never been to a stf or used all your special powers...

yet again another offensive person to such a great game...

well just another person to watch out for in the advent they grow up and past this childhood make believe stage and join us in the game for some content only to learn that he appeared on a ignore list and gets booted from the STF cause he rather be his own captain rather than a team player at supporting the game rather that this rubbish.
I don't know why I deserve the flak, honestly.

I don't want anything taken away from other players. I'm just in favor of having the possibility to play the game as you want it. If people want to be admirals it's fine, but letting them choose to be a captain instead of one-in-a-thousand "fleet admirals" would decrease the number of admirals and I personally would like that.

I do like the game. I pay for the game and make suggestions on how to improve the gaming experience. I don't know if the "Just shut up and play" mentality is somewhat more constructive than different oppinions on the matter. And you cannot defend the canon-wise mess the game is, since everyone can basically play in the time period they want it just is all mixed together. There is no feel of continuity or even community when you have to be on a mission with a 300-year-old crew and a partly assimilated future crew from the 29th cenutry. Of course this does not lead to me ignoring other players when they approach me, like I said. But it really takes away any kind of immersion I'd like to have in a Star Trek game. And if that immersion would'nt be important and I just wanted a random MMO in which I could be a teamplayer I wouldn't need to play STO because, lets face it, what is it besides the Star Trek label that STO offers? I'm honest here. If it weren't Trek, I would not play. So what's wrong with asking for improvements of what the game is to me?

Why all the hatin'? Calm down
Lt. Commander
# 154
10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
i think the op is asking for a real star trek game. a game that has balance and gives rewards and promotions differently. as set in the game you can become a VA in a month of less. Yet there are only a few mentions in star trek lore of starfleet promoting someone to a captain so quickly. even sisko took some time to get promoted to a captain. hell he saved the federation several times but ross never made him a admiral. as a matter of fact janeway was made an admiral because of the extrodinary attributes she brought to the field. she had full tactical knowledge of the borg. she brought back 75% of her skeleton screw and made allies for the federation in another quadrant.

my understanding is that the game is rather to easy on promotion and does not lvl upwards to doing hyper bolic attributes of reward to a RA. in short all you have to do is blast away npc and you can become an admiral. it lacks star trek tac and lore and just encompasses wow function and guild functions to promoting. do a story kill the npc and get promoted due to skill points.

The system should be revamped to show true star trek activity and function but it will not. since launch this STO MMO has had bad direction and still is on the wrong course. The only answer we keep getting from the devs is oh finished a character well do another character.

So you want me as a player to pay for the same old content that is gear towards all the characters. No matter what character i choose the game play will still be the same. the game does not change towards my character.

The game has no essence of star trek or lore of how the federation works. it lacks the KDF abilities and well to be honest there is no direct translation from player t o the war. Cryptic has faked it all for us. its just a holodeck where no matter what we might do wrong there is no penalty or loss in this game. Which in short means this is not star trek but star junk.

There is no star trek game that does not have loss in it. The reason is because if you do not loose anything you will not learn from the mistakes you made. You can not gain knowledge from just button mashing.

instead of letting players tweak gear and consols at the non accesable utopia fleet yards or on their ships understanding how to use tech to make ones ship better we are given gear. spoon fed and the real trek experience is rob from us. hell how many of you remember when the last time jordi asked for quipment from space dock. Or for the matter trip made phases cannons on his ship and installed them rather then go home and have someone else do it.

wow there is so much wrong with this game but again majority of you are like sheep. You dont mind to be feed and given and given. This is just how it is. You dont care how something works just as long as it works. I guess being an engineer in real life makes me have greater expectations for a star trek game.

Oh yeah to those of you who say well this is just a game. well many games i have played teach. Star trek was and is a show but if you look majority of attributes shown in star trek are used in our ever day lives.

data pad. hahaha how many of you have a tablet.
i really like this.

+ support for this topic
Lt. Commander
# 155
10-24-2011, 05:22 AM
I've said it before in other posts, but i think instead of going by ranks, we should be allowed to go by titles as well. That way in a mission i woul be refered to as Operative rather than Vice Admiral. People could select any rank they want or various other titles and the mission would call them by that rather than just some boring generic term.

It wouldn't be any thing game changing, but it would be a great step for RP'ers and the like.
Lt. Commander
# 156
10-24-2011, 05:38 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 157
10-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris_Botonis
OK, I had started a thread a year or so ago with the same request, but as Season 5 and new content is along the way, I can't resist to bring back the same issue: THERE ARE TOO MANY ADMIRALS AND GENERALS IN THE GAME!

I am a VA, and I am scanning rocks. I face off against Klingon Generals all the time. This isn't normal. I don't command a fleet, and I don't want to. I command a single starship.

What will the next rank be? Fleet Admiral? Really? There is only ONE Fleet Admiral in Starfleet.

Something MUST be done. Demote us! Just like Kirk in the 4th film. He was an Admiral, he hated it, and he was busted back to Captain.

The devs can tie that demotion to the endgame content: you can have a fallout with Starfleet Command. It happens all the time in the shows and the films. Maybe even steal the new Odyssey-class starship prototype (PLEASE, let us steal the Enterprise!).

Alternatively, it might even be a choice at the end of a mission: become a fleet admiral (and receive an X set of abilities) or return to the rank of Captain (and receive a different ability set).

Yes, I know I can use the title "Captain" for my character. I don't want a title. I want it to be my actual rank.

Is it too much to ask?
Just go and edit yourself to call yourself Captain... :p
Lt. Commander
# 158
10-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
You dont deserve it.
If you look through this Threat you'll see that Palmera obvioulsy believes that ONE poster spaming the same thing again and again (without adding anything new) outnumbers the MANY posters who make their point once, and believes insulting EVERYBODY posting another opinion is good proof of being right...

And seriously, you cant take someone seriously that states that dont behave like captains but like admirals if we beam down as a 5-man-team of ADMRIALS without support into a dangerous enviroment.

In short, ignore him and dont feed the Troll.
yes thats it, im insulting everyone and putting in facts that no one listens to and have a bunch of people that is going off the right side over spilled milk is getting annoying. but hey you just got yourself reported for trolling so its all fair and war right.
Lt. Commander
# 159
10-24-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm shutting this one down due to the fighting.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Closed Thread