Lt. Commander
# 41
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
We knew very early in STO development (with the full approval of CBS) that we would be diverging from the Pocket Books' timeline.

For one thing, we needed to fill in those years between Nemesis and STO -- something that the books were just starting to do. Also, the books were headed in directions that, while themeatically appropriate for them, were not necessarily where we wanted to take STO.

So while I keep up with the books (I don't get advance copies, so I see them when everyone else does) and will sometimes reference them, they are a separate timeline from STO.
*oooohs*

Say, would you be able to let us know what might and might not be considered canon outside the series' stuff that /is/ in the timeline? I know people have said there's stuff from /some/ books, just not all of them, so I'm curious which ones are in or in consideration for them. If you happen to have a moment. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-13-2011, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
We knew very early in STO development (with the full approval of CBS) that we would be diverging from the Pocket Books' timeline.

For one thing, we needed to fill in those years between Nemesis and STO -- something that the books were just starting to do. Also, the books were headed in directions that, while themeatically appropriate for them, were not necessarily where we wanted to take STO.

So while I keep up with the books (I don't get advance copies, so I see them when everyone else does) and will sometimes reference them, they are a separate timeline from STO.
Cool, thanks for letting me know.

I can understand that you can't wait for the books to slowly roll out background at about a year a year when you are 30 years ahead. The fact you are developing your own lore at the same time means of course it will diverge. And by the fact I see so many people named 'X of Y', playing liberated Borg and enjoying the Borg storyline, there is clearly a large customer base who still dig the Borg storylines and would be underserved by excluding them.

Perhaps in your lore development you could help us tragic geeks by identifying the point where the books and STO diverge (Nemesis?) so we can pretend there are two new timelines, like the JJVerse moment in the new Star Trek movie. Make it one decision, one change in luck or something like that? Or not, it's obviously your call.

Thanks again for the response. Good luck
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Well, Memory Alpha is a great resource, but to suggest that a fan-edited wiki is the arbiter of what is canon is a bit silly.

CBS, ultimately, decides. They own the property. If they wanted STO to conform to the events of the books, they could easily enforce that. They do not.

Also, been a while since I've seen the sales figures, but "millions" of fans is likely an exaggeration. Last I saw the books didn't sell anywhere near that.

If the pre-JJ movies didn't violate the books' soft canon, I'd argue that that is as much by accident as anything else. Movie production teams would never worry about what they would consider to be "merchandise" (comics, books, whatever). Hollywood just doesn't work like that. If you tried to tell a movie producer that s/he couldn't do some storyline because of some licensed book from 5 years ago, s/he would laugh in your face.

Same with TV. Maybe the head writer likes the books. Heck, maybe even the showrunner does. So maybe there will be some effort to not conflict. But if the showrunner comes up with some big new story arc for next season, the fact that it conflicts with the books or comics won't stop him or her from going in that direction. The production team is far more worried about the show's ratings, reception, whether or not they're going to stay employed, etc. than how some book might be affected.

For the record, I enjoy many of the books. I have a fairly large collection of Trek novels. But I'm not so invested in them that I'll rage if the next movie or TV show blows them away (and, in fact, a lot of my older Trek books have had this happen anyway).

That's just how the business works.
I think where I was coming from, and may have expressed it poorly, was that a lot of us (I hope) have enjoyed the plot developments in the books since the TV series ended and in the absence of any post Nemesis movies and would like STO to incorporate as much of that if possible to enhance our enjoyment of the game.

As they have gone out of their way to incorporate all the different TV show characters, enemies and plot lines to increase the player base it may be valueable for them to consider the books as well. They have in a small way by including Mackenzie Calhoun, who is purely a book character, in the PVP so perhaps they can stretch it for some other aspects, such as Voyager's return to the Delta Quadrant, Ezri's new posting, the Titan Missions, Commander Vaughn's secret past in DS9 etc.

I'm gratified that Kestrel is a fan of the books so there is hope but I'm fully on board with her comments above and hopefully we'll get a few little suprises along the way.

Thanks for everyone's input. It was nice to have an intelligent thread without a flame war.

Cheers all.
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I was hoping for some more lore related quests! The immersion in the game keeps growing it seems.
Now just a bit more voice acting and more ship customization plz

Doing a great job and I've been with you from beta! We've come a long way together