Lt. Commander
# 21
10-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Good Summery, its clear that in fact subscribers are indeed loosing out and having a lesser experience then is currently on live despite Cryptics claims subscribers wont notice much differences.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-24-2011, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMerzan
Well i dont mean any disrespect but what there going to say is well he is no longer with the company and there not responsible for his comints, so i bet every one quoting what he say means nothing to them.
Actually it does serve a purpose.... it's good for a chuckle. Quoting former employee's as an example of why nothing should change pretty much weakens the whole argument.
Lt. Commander
# 23 mmmmm
10-24-2011, 04:18 AM
If all they do is nerf the transwarp ability with the t-5 excelsior.....i wont like it, but i can live with it.

As far as the economy and progression model goes....we'll have to see what develops. Do i like it the way the premise is set up now? Heck no...because they wouldn't have implemented such an idea if that wasn't the direction they wanted to go in.

Is it off base? IMO yes slightly.....They are going to have to make some fair concessions for those that have dumped much money just to play the game as they please. Without compromise, I fear that Cryptic is going to do nothing more than alienate their existing player base.

People don't generally like change on a large scale such as this, so I'm trying like heck to keep an open mind..only I don't want to see a game I enjoy playing get steam rolled over what is perceived as good intentions. After all good intentions don't always equal good decisions.

I have invested much in this game and in doing so I have invested much into cryptic s future. I do think Cryptic is a good producer and have played cryptic games in the past and have enjoyed them. I just don't want this game to be torpedoed when it doesn't have to be.

They want to make money off of the new game model...I get that...only pride should not overshoot principal here.

Re-evaluate the structure....and just when you think you have it figured out...double check and make sure. I will reserve judgement until it goes live I reckon..as it stands now though......Cryptic your F2P model and certain aspects are a hot mess. While I will concede some of the content your bringing to the table is absolutely genius and welcome.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-24-2011, 05:55 AM
I agree that a great deal of these changes are going to effect the subscribers in a negative way. There are good ideas that they are coming up with, time-gating subscribers is not one of them...

In response to those who say "But games like WoW make it hard to get the elite gear":
  1. We aren't WoW and have never been like WoW
  2. The Elite Gear Is STF Gear
  3. They are subtracting from the sub experience, rather than adding lots of new stuff thats worth grinding for
  4. They are changing the value of what we have always had
  5. They are taking away our re-spec tokens
  6. They TRIED to take away our free ships, then took our VA token away
  7. It is not OK to say one thing, then do another, In Any Business.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-24-2011, 06:46 AM
In conversion from holodeck to f2p tribble, we lost VA token for a free ship and probably the token for a shuttle ship.

You need to complete the info for Excelsior T5: To use the transwarp, the ship will lost 1 slot for the transwarp console. Other ships gained 1 slot console to the extra console and Excelsion dont.

Sorry for my bad english.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Another point from me:

Tier 3 'advanced' ships:
I find the way the Excelsior and the Nebula have been treated as unacceptable. These where ships that were available to players at Commander tier just as much as the Cheyenne, Olympic and other variants. Now, they've been turned into +1 ships and you have to pay the C-Store to get them.

I strongly believe they should've been kept available as they are on Holodeck. Furthermore, I believe that if Cryptic wants us to have +1 Ships at our disposal in that tier... they should offer something new for users to obtain rather than the alternative.

The Ambassador-class could make an ideal +1 counterpart to the Excelsior. People have been begging for a Venture-skinned Nebula, which would also make a nice +1 ship offering. I say give us something new to spend our money on, rather than nix us of something we already had and offer it back to us - a bit better - but as a C-Store item.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyrogers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMerzan
Well i dont mean any disrespect but what there going to say is well he is no longer with the company and there not responsible for his comints, so i bet every one quoting what he say means nothing to them.
Actually it does serve a purpose.... it's good for a chuckle. Quoting former employee's as an example of why nothing should change pretty much weakens the whole argument.
I could remove the quote and the rest of the list of changes would still stand for it's purpose: To track changes in gameplay between P2P/F2P, and to judge them (at least as told from my perspective/opinion) as good or bad. That said, I think the quote strengthens the argument.

Dstahl wasn't just any employee. For a time he was the Executive Producer. He was the (figure)head of STO. When a President of the United States of America leaves office, you can bet the new Pres will be held accountable to previous Pres actions. Every new regime will make changes. A new Pres gains merit by changing unpolular policies, and loses points chainging popular policies. By quoting Dan, I am holding Cryptic to their "old" standards.

It's about keeping score, and Dan's quote tells everyone where the starting line was.

As things move negatively away from that line Cryptic is held accountable. If displeasure is expressed, Cryptic might revoke or rework the bad stuff (ship tokens were (mostly) given back, for instance) or even make improvements (I can't compliment Heretic enough for his amazing work and collaboration with the community on the DOff System). Ultimately it's their company and their product; their choice. Likewise, it's my money they'll lose if they push things too far. That's my choice. How else are they to know what's too far if they aren't informed?

No disrespect felt from you CaptainMerzan. I welcome all such polite comments. Also, I'm amused that the Jollyrogers got a chuckle from his visit here. I'm curious, are you two content with how things are looking and how your subscription model is changing? How would you want things different?
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-24-2011, 12:37 PM
edit: off-topic, removed at the request of the OP. Sorry
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Cool thread, glad someone is keeping score. I'll keep my eye on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

Actually, it doesn't make me chuckle. If anything I'd shed a tear. I'd be saddened that we lost Mr. Stahl because PWI wants to turn STO into another Korean grind fest MMO and forced Dan out because he stood against it.
It's been pointed out that PWI has/had a hands off policy towards their western purchases. Specifically with Torchlight. So it's really more likely this is all on Cryptic's shoulders, or at worst/best Cryptic egregiously misunderstanding PWI's directives.