Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
10-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
I understand what it is that you're trying to do. I even agree with the sentiment.

Just not the method.

To be openly blunt, you're attaching a buffed Dual Heavy Cannon to the ship's "necessary equipment" (term used only because no Galaxy-X would go without the Lance), taking away one of it's primary weapon slots due to the need to replace it with the lance instead of having it as a power (weakening the ship), to its forward arc.

That's more or less what you're proposing. A semi high power, fast recharge energy weapon on a narrow arc.

Doing so however, you take away the ship's decisive power. Its ability to devastate targets, and turning it into a sub-par attempt at sustained DPS.

Before I continue, let me apologize in advance if anything I am about to say is taken as an insult. Not meant that way, rather to give perspective.

Don't get me wrong... PvE this would be fantastic. Galaxy-X would be twice as strong as it was.

If I haven't already done EVERYTHING in PvE 50,000 times over and bored to tears with it, I'd agree.

Since I derive my entertainment from opponents that I have to actually think in order to defeat, I prefer to focus on the ship's ability to compete against human opponents without pre-programmed responses.

To be blunt, I can Beam Overload 1 with my 3 forward facing Dual Phaser Beam Banks and pump out more power than the Lance you have designed. I wouldn't even bother replacing one of my forward facing weapons because it would be inferior.

The way the Lance is now, it forces you to think on your feet. You can't just spam your "Fire All Weapons" button and expect to win.

You have to plan. You have to analyze your target and maneuver accordingly. You have to time your attacks. You have to outwit and often bait your opponents into making mistakes.

And when they do make a mistake, you have the power to make them pay for it dearly.

Your "upgrade" limits my gameplay to playing Internet Poker alt-tabbed for some shred of "PvP" challenge while swapping back to STO every few seconds to press the Spacebar to fire all weapons.

...Not my idea of fun, challenge, or unique ingenuity.

Try playing Galaxy-X as a Tactical. Give it a spin.

You'll realize just how devastating that Lance is, and you'll kick yourself for wanting to change it.

More importantly, proper use of the Galaxy X, just like the Nebula requires a group to use team work. The ship should be the anchor of a Fed' group. The other ships should operate AROUND the Galaxy X, not seperate from it. Then the ship becomes really dangerous.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
10-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
Bad idea.

Galaxy-X due to maneuverability impediment depends on Eject Warp Plasma to keep things off their vulnerable rear. Ensign Engineer you deprive yourself that, 2x Emergency Power to Shields (which ALL Cruisers, NO exceptions, should be running at ALL times in ALL builds), and the Directed Energy Modulation that helps make the Lance stronger.

This is not an Escort. Stop treating it like one.

If you do that you would find much more pleasure in using the Galaxy-X.

Besides, this is not an exploration ship. It is a war ship. Lance wasn't put on the ship for mining ore samples for study. Cloak wasn't added so the ship could orbit a planet for observation.

They are there for no other reason than to cause destruction and mayhem.

Just swap the LT Tactical with LTC Engineer. That's all the ship needs as far as BOFFs are concerned.

Everything else is perfect.
love this commentLance wasn't put on the ship for mining ore samples for study. Cloak wasn't added so the ship could orbit a planet for observation.
and its very true what you said about the ship
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin

This is not an Escort. Stop treating it like one.

.
The Galaxy-X ladies and gentlemen.
Hakaishin nailed it in one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
10-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Gah PvP vs PvE debates hate em hate em hate em. The fact that one game (MMO's in general) requires two completely opposite mind sets and play styles to me shows just how out of whack PvE gameplay is (oh joy I just offed Sphere 846362 yay me), I really don't know why mobs can't have *******ly "AI" that makes you think (Oh wait I do know why care to guess?).


Really I think my main gripe with the Lance as it is comes from my viewing burst damage as unreliable more than anything else, I just like having all of my tools available to me when I need them.


On a different note, the main reason I stopped PvPing was an over-abundance of muppets who couldn't understand even basic tactics (no a Zerg rush is not a valid method for dealing with superior numbers) and who all wanted to play at being General. Has this improved at all? (In your opinion).

*Edit* Where the bloody hell did the three posters above me come from.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
10-25-2011, 09:39 AM
@whamhammer: I agree and happy to see someone understands. My fleet has managed to put this into excellent practice. It's interesting to see some of the strategies we come up with from time to time.

@USS_Enterprise_J: You're welcome. LOL

@Roach: I'm glad someone agrees - now if we can get more Galaxy-X captains to realize it, the 0.01% good ones won't be so few and far between.

@Zektole: I don't mean to bring up the ancient PvP vs PvE debate. However, as a game designer, your first concern must always be balancing for PvP, because in the end, players using and fighting against the ship are the ones subscribing to the game, not the Tactical Cube in Khitomer Accords that you've destroyed umpteen billion times already.

See the difference?

ANYTHING you use will be sufficient in PvE, for no other reason than that the AI is retarded and can't really beat even the weakest ships in the game in the hands of a good Captain. That said, it simply makes sense to design something for PvP, balance it for PvP, and update it for PvP. Because by default, it will still work in PvE just fine.

The tool IS available when you need it, that is what I believe you're missing.

You just can't spam it like a 9 year old throwing Plasma Grenades in Halo.

If you don't try to fire it EVERY time something enters your forward arc, it should be ready when really needed.

Lance is reliable. Every time I hit my enemies, it hurts. Badly.

Can't get more reliable than that. I just don't waste it and have used the ship long enough to know when is wise to use it, and when is not.

Signs of a good Galaxy-X captain.

As for your PvP complaint, I'm going to be blunt. I PvP with 12th Fleet, an organized and very intelligent group of good people who are capable of working together even at the expense of their personal egos. I can't tell you if it is the case or is not the case, because I do not experience it at all.

The people I PvP with every day make it enjoyable.

If you constantly PvP alone/with pugs (pick up groups), or if the fleet you're in doesn't allow for this sort of PvP I describe, then I've a very simple recommendation.

Find a new fleet, and new friends.

You don't have to be "good" at PvP to win. You just have to be good at working together with others.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
10-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Alright alright you've made your point, keep your cloaky burst death machine as it is:p

Oh well at least we agreed the cannons have to go
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I switched from an Exploration Refit to the Dreadnought in an attempt to wring more damage out of my tank. I like the ship because it keeps the CM and LC Eng BOffs while adding offensive capability. Lance and cloak are good toys, but in the end they are just that... toys. Only useful in certain situations. They can make all the difference in the world when properly used, but they're not going to win or lose a running engagement against multiple targets.

What the ship really gains is swapping the Ens Eng BOff for an Ens Tac BOff... enabling me to run Tac Team, FAW and Spread. The cannons up front are a nice addition to forward damage when I can get the front end swung around on a target... which isn't all that hard. Tractor beam, warp plasma, Aux to ID, and EPS transfer all help me maneuver against a smaller faster target.

The ship can be a killer under the right circumstances, but more often than not I use it to distract the enemy while my fellow captains do the killing. In a given battle scenario if I've got 2, 3, 4, enemies focused on me that means they're not shooting my allies, who may be in softer ships.

Though lately other players seem as likely to engage me as they do to ignore me. Of course ignorance comes at their peril... a well timed lance shot can really ruin someone's day.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
10-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
I switched from an Exploration Refit to the Dreadnought in an attempt to wring more damage out of my tank. I like the ship because it keeps the CM and LC Eng BOffs while adding offensive capability. Lance and cloak are good toys, but in the end they are just that... toys. Only useful in certain situations. They can make all the difference in the world when properly used, but they're not going to win or lose a running engagement against multiple targets.

What the ship really gains is swapping the Ens Eng BOff for an Ens Tac BOff... enabling me to run Tac Team, FAW and Spread. The cannons up front are a nice addition to forward damage when I can get the front end swung around on a target... which isn't all that hard. Tractor beam, warp plasma, Aux to ID, and EPS transfer all help me maneuver against a smaller faster target.

The ship can be a killer under the right circumstances, but more often than not I use it to distract the enemy while my fellow captains do the killing. In a given battle scenario if I've got 2, 3, 4, enemies focused on me that means they're not shooting my allies, who may be in softer ships.

Though lately other players seem as likely to engage me as they do to ignore me. Of course ignorance comes at their peril... a well timed lance shot can really ruin someone's day.
In most conventional PvP matches, I fight differently than you it would seem.

My allies will generally move in before me, while I hang around on the aft cloaked (keeping the enemy from detecting me on the initial wave).

After the first volleys from both sides have already been fired and they more or less forgot that I'm even in the match, I will give word to my allies via Teamspeak that I am about to unleash my payload on "X" target. They give me their approval, and get ready to assist. They'll maneuver into key positions and have multiple Tractor Beams, Eject Warp Plasmas, Sub Nucs, and Gravity Wells ready.

While cloaked, I move in to 2km-3km for maximum effect.

When I give the word, everything is unleashed. I have every tactical buff in the book primed and coming out of cloak, I am able to line up a minimum of 2 targets due to Wells and open fire.

My first target will die, no ifs, ands, or buts, to my Lance + Tricobalt volley. Second target will be in pain having received a lance at point blank (often I am able to catch more than just 2 in this manner). By now, all of my allies have begun unloading everything they have on the second crippled ship as well.

2 targets dead in all of 10-15 seconds.

Match is instantly in our favor as half of the enemy force has just been instantly obliterated.

After that, I am able to swap to a more supportive role and heal allies with support DPS until we're ready to spring our next trap.

If you cannot do these things on a regular basis, I will go so far as to say you're not using the ship properly. My cloak and lance are not simply "toys".

In my hands, they are enough to win matches.

As they should in yours.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
10-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
The Galaxy-X ladies and gentlemen.
Hakaishin nailed it in one.
I agree, if you want an escort, but in a more cruiserish form, drive an Excelsior. I do and love every minute of my 17-23 degree turn rate!!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zektole View Post
Alright alright you've made your point, keep your cloaky burst death machine as it is:p

Oh well at least we agreed the cannons have to go
I'm not so sure about that. When I played around with the Gla-X, I enjoyed having forward single cannons on it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 AM.