Lt. Commander
# 11
10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Just curious:

why make a thread called 1 nacelled ships and only have one ship with one nacelle in it and two with more?

Anyway the ships are actually canon, they appeared in the "Graveyard scene" in TNG "Best of Both Worlds".
You can read more about the here (ordered by number of nacelles):

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/freedom.htm

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/challenger.htm

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/niagara.htm
There is nothing to indicate any of those 1 nacelled ships are canon. A fan's cgi model, of what he thinks or wants a destroyed ship from a very blurry screen shot from an episode to look like, is not canon.

It's nothing more than fan fic.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-24-2011, 04:51 PM
i would take a new Orleans class in a second!
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presticus View Post
Personally I think the Challenger, Freedom, and (to a lesser extent) the Niagara classes are some of the ugliest ships Star Trek has come up with.

That said, there are only so many ship classes to pull from the shows and movies, and these ship do have their fans. So I'm going to surprise even myself and admit that I support this idea. And hey, even though Star Trek only has one undisputed miracle worker, maybe Capt. Logan can create an alternate skin for these ships that would make them look good.
Several points here in my post relate back to everyone's comments, But Mr. Presticus mostly sums up my feelings on this.

I think that the single naccelle ships and the Niagra are the most hidesous ship designs to ever come out of the Paramount SFX shop. I think that the if the thrid naccelle under the secondary hull of the Niagra was removed, then I would be one of the loundest supporters of that ship being added to the game right along side the New Orleans and the Springfield.

Yes, Gene Rodenberry did have a general premise for ship designs, one of which was that all engines come in pairs.

While I despise the Freedom, Challenger/Buran, and the Niagra, I will not begrude those who want to fly around in one. I will just ignore those ships. I will support having these ships added, I just hope they come AFTER the Yeager/Intrepid varient is added.

P.S. I have aquired two Maquis Radier models, and after assembleing one, I will kitbash the other to make the Yeager/Intrepid varient. However, I will deviate in that I will attach the wing pylons so that they are up and backswepted instead of forwards and down swepted.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Chronos
There is nothing to indicate any of those 1 nacelled ships are canon. A fan's cgi model, of what he thinks or wants a destroyed ship from a very blurry screen shot from an episode to look like, is not canon.

It's nothing more than fan fic.
Actually read the whole matter?

Those ships were there in those episodes.
The renders are based on pictures taken by the SFX team that built them for the episodes.
Problem is we lack large number o views for several of them.
Some of theose pics like that of the New Orleans appeared in the Encyclopedia along with a short article about the ship and there are several background interviews about the ships on the site with Okuda.

Also why would they go through the trouble of building a multi coloured image that explains which parts were used to build them for the episode?

And let's not forget an imporant thing:

Cryptic can't use some random fanfic BS (CBS would not allow it) yet the Cheyenne is in.
What does that tell you about the supposed non-canon status of those ships?
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Actually read the whole matter?
Nope :p

I couldn't stand looking at those eyesores any longer than I had to. Hopefully whoever approved those designs for the graveyard was immediately fired.

If ships like that ever make it into the game, it would be a good indication the games quality has sunk to a point so low it will never be able to rise from again.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-25-2011, 06:58 AM
I believe I read somewhere that CBS has already Quashed the Niagra and Freedom as potential ships for the game. The reason for that I don't know, but apparently they're right out.

In terms of them in relation to the "rules"

I always felt the "2 warp-coil per nacelle" thing was a bit of a cop out, to be honest. We have several examples of ships capable of traveling at warp speed without obeying those rules, or indeed, even using any obvious nacelles at all. (most famously these guys, these guys and of course these guys)

I always assumed the dual Nacelle design was just the most efficient, and so the one most commonly used by the major space powers. (Federation, Romulan, Klingon)

We also only saw those single & triple nacelled ships once (not counting the Galaxy-X, which was probably just Q's imagination gone wild, or futuristic tech outside the classic definition of warp - i.e. "warp 13") wrecked at the battle for Wolf359.

That says to me they were probably prototypes experimenting with variations on the standard 2 nacelle configuration. Likely revisiting earlier failed experiments (the infamous Saladin/Hermes & Ptolemy classes that showed up on monitors in the background in ST2) to see if new technology could overcome the flaws in the design. They may have been mothballed or still being experimented with when the Borg showed up, and got rushed to the front lines to try and stop the Borg, leading to their destruction. (and possibly the end of their experiments)

Now, all that having been said, I do like the looks of the Freedom & the Challenger (though the Niagra I could take it or leave it) and would not object to them getting in game if CBS ever changed their mind.

Quote:
As far as warp engines having to "see" eachother across the hull, that rule was tossed when Defiant came out.
Actually the Defiant doesn't break that rule. The bottom half of the nacelles extends out below the ship, so they have 50% visibility across the ship's belly.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Well, I hate the Niagara but I actually like the New Orleans

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/neworleans.htm

and the Springfield (minus the secondary hull pod)

http://ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/springfield.htm

Would have made a far more attactive DSSV IMO.
I don't mind the New Orleans. To me it's just an alternate, and more compact, Galaxy configuration... just like the Nebula is.

Springfield was an interesting idea... I believe Nebula is the same concept with a much better execution.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-25-2011, 10:17 AM
That "Freedom" class is the like the flipper baby of fed starship configurations. It makes my skin crawl just looking at it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Actually, Though Rodenberry's theory applies. The Dreadnought Galaxy Class got away with having 3 Nacelles because each Nacelle has a pair of Warp Coils in each one. Giving the ship the 'even number of nacelles' so they could get away with it. The Galaxy Class' Nacelles are much wider than the ones like that on the Constitution Class and Excelsior Class which had only the one Warp Coil in each Nacelle. Which is why the Constellation class (U.S.S. Hathaway and U.S.S. Stargazer), as well as the Cheyenne Class had four. Despite it taking the big step from Rodenberry's design had been, they still followed the rest of the theory of even amount of Nacelles and clearance for the Nacelles to operate as designed.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Chronos
Nope :p
So you don't like it and don't read the actual background on the matter and based on your deliberate ignorance you decided they're not canon.

I hope you don't treat STOP signs at a crossing the same way.
"No officer I didin't see that sign, I didn't like its shape so I didn't read what was written on it."

But on the topic:

The ships weren't just made up by the fans nor the class names.
However quite a bit about them is not mentioned onscreen but confirmed background material confirmed by the creators of the show.
For example had you looked at the New Orleans section you'd have seen the extensive images featured in the TNG Season 3 set that clearly show it's not fanfic.