Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 121
10-30-2011, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
I have a genuine question; I'm not assuming they're going one way or another with this, so hopefully someone can clarify for me:

Where does it say they're per character? Unless I'm missing something, all it says is that you get one per character.

I'm sorry if it seems like a redundant question, but I'm honestly feeling a bit stupid, like everyone else knows something I don't.
No, it's not a redundant question.

Currently when you purchase a pet, you buy it in the store with C-Store points and you can have one for every character you have, both now and future characters that you create. If you delete the pet, you just go to the store and 'claim' it again (in other words you purchase it once and only once).

On the Tribble F2P test server, you purchase the pet, and what you get in your inventory is a 'crate' which you right click and select 'use' (which gives you the pet) or you can sell the crate on the exchange instead. However if you go to another character, (or if you delete it, or want another) you have to purchase the pet with C-Store points again (and again and again).

So people (like me) bought the pet with the 'impression' it was forever and for all our characters both now and future characters (and that was the case) but on the test server it 'appears' that is no longer the case and we will have to buy the pet for any new characters we create, or if we decide to delete it to free up some inventory space. What is of concern, is that this pattern will continue, and will extend to uniforms, ships and really everything that was sold under the 'unlocks for all characters on an account' umbrella.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 122
10-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1
No, it's not a redundant question.

Currently when you purchase a pet, you buy it in the store with C-Store points and you can have one for every character you have, both now and future characters that you create. If you delete the pet, you just go to the store and 'claim' it again (in other words you purchase it once and only once).

On the Tribble F2P test server, you purchase the pet, and what you get in your inventory is a 'crate' which you right click and select 'use' (which gives you the pet) or you can sell it on the exchange instead. However if you go to another character, (or if you delete it) you have to purchase the pet with C-Store points again (and again and again).
Oh okay. I hadn't had the chance to go on tribble, so was just going by the pictures.

i really hope this is a mistake on cryptic's part, or that they just haven't worked out the kinks yet (making them exchangeable but not in a way that can be abused while still being fair to people).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 123
10-30-2011, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
Oh okay. I hadn't had the chance to go on tribble, so was just going by the pictures.

i really hope this is a mistake on cryptic's part, or that they just haven't worked out the kinks yet (making them exchangeable but not in a way that can be abused while still being fair to people).
I really hope that too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 124
10-30-2011, 03:52 AM
A couple of items from the ToS:

A) (From 9. Cryptic Points.)
The Cryptic Points service offering is a redeemable point system (" Cryptic Points ") which can be used to license in-game virtual items through the Service.

B) ( From 10. Ownership/Selling of the Account or Virtual Items.)
Cryptic owns, has licensed, or otherwise has rights to all of the content that appears in the Game. You agree that you have no right or title in or to any such content, including the virtual goods or currency appearing or originating in the Game, Cryptic Points or any other attributes associated with the Account or stored on the Service ("Game Assets").

What we buy on the C-Store isn't ours, it's Cryptics, they can do whatever they want with them, at least that's my understanding of it and I'm no expert on legal stuff.

All we can do is protest and convey our distaste in what Cryptic do in the hopes they will listen and change, and until they clarify what they are doing with the C-Store I will reserve my rant.....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 125
10-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1
I really hope that too.
They have had a tendency to push new things on to Tribble without fine-tuning them (as the EEPH has said), and it seems to be a constant with them. I suppose I can understand the logic, in the sense that they get stuff out more regularly (even if it's broke as ****), and they get feedback right away, and generally try to fix things for the most part.

I generally give them the benefit of the doubt, so I'll give this one a few days and wait until we get some sort of DEV response about it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 126
10-30-2011, 04:00 AM
Thanks Dane, that is very helpful (of you). That basically negates any thoughts of 'legal' rights. Basically, we don't have any.

(That is of course assuming that what is on Tribble, the wording and how it is working is the intended outcome.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 127
10-30-2011, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1
So people (like me) bought the pet with the 'impression' it was forever and for all our characters both now and future characters (and that was the case) but on the test server it 'appears' that is no longer the case and we will have to buy the pet for any new characters we create, or if we decide to delete it to free up some inventory space. What is of concern, is that this pattern will continue, and will extend to uniforms, ships and really everything that was sold under the 'unlocks for all characters on an account' umbrella.
Just wanted to address this, as I had missed it the first time.

Honestly I agree; I've bought things from the C-Store (even when I probably shouldn't), and more than once have dropped them for whatever reason, only to claim them later.

All I know is, I'll give Cryptic the benefit of the doubt until December, which is how far ahead I've subbed. When renewal day is upon me, i'll look at the game as it is then. Up until now, i've been largely happy with what they're doing, and even now will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're going to make it all right somehow, like they have many times before.

If they don't, well, I can use the extra 15 dollars a month on ice-cream, or something.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 128
10-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_Strife
A couple of items from the ToS:
Please don't quote the ToS. When you get down to it they could have sold LTS at the launch and immediately put everything on it to the C-Store or even shut down the game. In no way does that make it right. Don't use it as a cop-out to every situation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 129
10-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Please don't quote the ToS. When you get down to it they could have sold LTS at the launch and immediately put everything on it to the C-Store or even shut down the game. In no way does that make it right. Don't use it as a cop-out to every situation.
Dane_Strife is slightly confused....

A comment on the legality of changing our C-Store items was made earlier in the thread and Quoting the ToS seemed to have relevance here.

And as for using it as a "Cop-Out to every situation"..... Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I have quoted the ToS before.....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 130
10-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_Strife
And as for using it as a "Cop-Out to every situation"..... Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I have quoted the ToS before.....
Sorry, I meant in a general sense. Some people (again, generalizing) think ToS gives them a carte blanché to do anything they like. While it's 'legally' their right they soon won't have any players left.

They also have the 'right' to take away all your ships and make you pay for them again. That doesn't really change the discussion.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 PM.