Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
05-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Basically yes, 4s is the cap so if you don't have enough skill in it, you will get between 2-4s on the stun.

The kinetic damage should increase even after you invest enough skill to hit the duration cap, with more skill invested. However in general, I would say the damage is not worth investing for, but if you want it you can continue to invest in the relevant skills and get more damage.
Just an addition: Even without any points into Photonic Theory, you can easily obtain a 3.6 second stun with points in Emitters and Deflectors (using either a Borg or Aegis Deflector, even).
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-21-2011, 05:31 AM
BigRedJedi has posted a similar thread on Engineering Powers here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...18#post3551018

He intends to create threads on different classes as well. Might be neat to compare notes when he come to Science.

I think we need another "level" of guides - not just one explaining the general mechanics of powers. But guides explaining why or when to use purpose. What's a power's "role" in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think we need another "level" of guides - not just one explaining the general mechanics of powers. But guides explaining why or when to use purpose. What's a power's "role" in the game.
That's an interesting idea, but one reason I avoided that is because when to use this or that comes down to the individual situation, your overall build, and your enemy's build. And that is extremely complex and dynamic. Knowing what each power does is important, it lets you experiment and know what should be happening, and what should not be happening. Learning when to use it, when not to use it, that really only comes with experience, and any guide that tries to impart that kind of experience is going to be really really big.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
That's an interesting idea, but one reason I avoided that is because when to use this or that comes down to the individual situation, your overall build, and your enemy's build. And that is extremely complex and dynamic. Knowing what each power does is important, it lets you experiment and know what should be happening, and what should not be happening. Learning when to use it, when not to use it, that really only comes with experience, and any guide that tries to impart that kind of experience is going to be really really big.
Combat is always situational, but there are still many common situations. The available powers in this game are limited, so you can explain certain interactions and implications.

And some powers really can use some guideline on how to use them in the first place. And it might seem self-evident for experienced PvPers and STF players, I don't think it is for a newcomer to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks! This was helpful!
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-31-2011, 06:26 AM
Thank you so much for this. And here i was going to waste a CMDR power on Tractor III

My most active BOff has PH I, Scramble Sensors I, Tacyon Beam III, and Viral Matrix III

I am torn between replacing Viral Matrix 3 with Scramble 3, but i feel that having Viral 3 and Scramble 1 works just as well. Scramble 3 is only an increase in time, anyhow, right?
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive-Burn View Post
Thank you so much for this. And here i was going to waste a CMDR power on Tractor III

My most active BOff has PH I, Scramble Sensors I, Tacyon Beam III, and Viral Matrix III

I am torn between replacing Viral Matrix 3 with Scramble 3, but i feel that having Viral 3 and Scramble 1 works just as well. Scramble 3 is only an increase in time, anyhow, right?
For PvP, I would avoid Scramble 3 entirely; it's currently broken (in many ways) and will only cause the opposing team to get infuriated and constantly just hunt you down.

For PvE, Scramble 3 >>> Viral 3. PvE is all about dishing out AoE. Scramble is not only an AoE debuff, but it helps boost your damage and has a duration long enough such that you should be half way through killing the entire group before i wears off.
Lt. Commander
# 48
11-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
For PvP, I would avoid Scramble 3 entirely; it's currently broken (in many ways) and will only cause the opposing team to get infuriated and constantly just hunt you down.

For PvE, Scramble 3 >>> Viral 3. PvE is all about dishing out AoE. Scramble is not only an AoE debuff, but it helps boost your damage and has a duration long enough such that you should be half way through killing the entire group before i wears off.

For solo PVE I would avoid both VM and SS, personally. VM doesn't do much for you and scramble sensors is useless if you're on your own. In group PVE, though, SS is very useful.

Anyways, update today broke scramble sensors.

It now uses Photonic Theory instead of Sensor Probes. I imagine this will be fixed, but, just FYI to everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-03-2011, 09:02 AM
This should all now be accurate for season 5. I didn't get into comparisons between season 4 versions and season 5 versions of powers but there have been a lot of changes. Many powers were altered, either weakened or strengthened in the change. Some are more or less the same.

There are no consoles that buff subspace decompilers. You skill it up or you are SOL.

Tractor beam 3 and charged particle burst 3 now only found on BOFFs. So far I have found TB 3 on blue BOFFs and CPB on purple (thanks to dozens and dozens of unclaimed new officer missions on my many alts).

Most powers that are trainable require rank 6. However the team powers including science team require 9 since they are in the unaltered ground tree. Good luck with finding skill points for that.
Ensign
# 50
06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Well, this thread isn't going to be updated any more since I can no longer edit it thanks to the silly forum/account changes. Can't be bothered to make a new one either, but if someone else wants to, go right ahead.