Lt. Commander
# 51
11-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
I think you guys have to remember that Perfect World bought Cryptic. They did not buy Star Trek online. Cryptic will continue to develop this game. Cryptic is an American company located in the Bay Area. I would imagine that most of their staff is American.

I am sure Perfect World will have some influence on the game and perhaps not always for the better, but I highly doubt they are going to turn it into one of their MMO's that they developed for the Asian market. They want to make money from their acquisition and the best way to do that is to allow the American company they acquired (Cryptic) continue to develop the game for the Western market.
When they bought Cryptic they bought STO with it. What they do not own is the Star Trek IP which means they have SOME limit on things they can have in the game because the IP holder (CBS) will not allow certain things to be in a Trek game. However, they do control all Financial decisions and call all the shots as to what the Devs need to be working on now as they are the Boss.

Here is a link for a full PWI Instance. Notice how it is played in Fast Forward? LOL... If they had shown it in normal speed it would have taken at least a half an hour. This is what it is like.

The AI for the monsters in that game was... Nonexistent. They hardly moved at all and never did anything but spam the exact same series of attacks over and over. Later in the game there were a FEW bosses who had some slight gimmicks that were more interesting but that was a rare exception to the rule.
Lt. Commander
# 52
11-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
When they bought Cryptic they bought STO with it.
I understand that. I think maybe my point was implied rather than explicit.

When one company acquires another, there is a whole range of things that can happen which range from, on one extreme, gutting the staff and maybe allowing a few of them to apply for their old jobs to letting the company operate more or less independently as a subsidiary.

So far (from what we have seen), perfect world is taking the independent subsidiary approach. I really do not see much reason (as of yet) to believe that they will be forcing Cryptic to turn this game into one of their previous in-house developed games. Obviously, that could change, but I think you guys are being extremely and unrealistically pessimistic.

I would think the evidence (so far) shows that Perfect World probably bought Cryptic in order to capitalize on a good subsidiary that could make it some money rather than to gut the company, take over development of the game, and start making a Western game into an Asian-style Perfect World-like MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 53
11-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
When one company acquires another, there is a whole range of things that can happen which range from, on one extreme, gutting the staff and maybe allowing a few of them to apply for their old jobs to letting the company operate more or less independently as a subsidiary.

So far (from what we have seen), perfect world is taking the independent subsidiary approach. I really do not see much reason (as of yet) to believe that they will be forcing Cryptic to turn this game into one of their previous in-house developed games. Obviously, that could change, but I think you guys are being extremely and unrealistically pessimistic.

I would think the evidence (so far) shows that Perfect World probably bought Cryptic in order to capitalize on a good subsidiary that could make it some money rather than to gut the company, take over development of the game, and start making a Western game into an Asian-style Perfect World-like MMO.
Pff. Please. Logic has no place in this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper99991 View Post
$TO cant compete if they stay in the ways Tribble is going. I mean I have played SWTOR Closed beta and it had many less bugs than $TO did at launch.
Less than STO at launch? I ran into less than STO in the past three months.
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
When they bought Cryptic they bought STO with it. What they do not own is the Star Trek IP which means they have SOME limit on things they can have in the game because the IP holder (CBS) will not allow certain things to be in a Trek game. However, they do control all Financial decisions and call all the shots as to what the Devs need to be working on now as they are the Boss.

Here is a link for a full PWI Instance. Notice how it is played in Fast Forward? LOL... If they had shown it in normal speed it would have taken at least a half an hour. This is what it is like.

The AI for the monsters in that game was... Nonexistent. They hardly moved at all and never did anything but spam the exact same series of attacks over and over. Later in the game there were a FEW bosses who had some slight gimmicks that were more interesting but that was a rare exception to the rule.
Did anyone else notice that the Female run animation in that video, as sped up as it was. Is exactly what the new female run animation in STO is modeled after. Are they trying to appeal to the eastern market with such a run animation? Or am I just being paranoid?

For the record I HATE the new female run animation. I just cannot imagine a STARFLEET officer running in such a manner. It's downright degrading.

None of the females I served with in the Army, never, ever, ever, ever ran like that.