Lt. Commander
# 71 instead of salvage...
10-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Instead of salvage, how about you sell them for dilithium, but only unlock the vendors' wares after completing the appropriate level? It will still be a grind for the dilithium (which we will be grinding anyway), but then people would have a choice on how they want to do it. They'll still be earning the new gear by playing STFs.

EDIT: OR... if you insist on having salvage in the game, use the salvage as part of crafting recipes and put the Borg gear in the crafting R&D window. That way we have more to craft and the salvage won't be considered "money". Just make sure they're tradeable and (of course) don't cost any dilithium to make. Oh... and you can give us the schematics as awards on the STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 72
10-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

^ This! 1000 times this. Wasn't gated dilithium added to the game to get rid of the myriad types of currency? If we're going the dilithium route, then let's go the dilithium route. Either dilithium really was added to simplify the in-game economy or it wasn't.

The dilithium "tax" on crafting has basically killed fleet crafters (in it's current form), forcing people to fend for themselves as crafters or grind/buy dilithium to purchase from vendors. Now you add salvage currency. The ONLY reason for this is to make sure that only people who do STF's can get the gear. So decide, are we monetizing ships and gear, or are they rewards for accomplishing things in-game, because frankly, you guys are all over the map with these changes.
THANK YOU !

I'd been thinking this myself and scratching my head wondering HOW this system was any better than what we had in the first bloody place !
Lt. Commander
# 73
10-23-2011, 04:57 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 74
10-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bariman View Post
Instead of salvage, how about you sell them for dilithium, but only unlock the vendors' wares after completing the appropriate level? It will still be a grind for the dilithium (which we will be grinding anyway), but then people would have a choice on how they want to do it. They'll still be earning the new gear by playing STFs.

EDIT: OR... if you insist on having salvage in the game, use the salvage as part of crafting recipes and put the Borg gear in the crafting R&D window. That way we have more to craft and the salvage won't be considered "money". Just make sure they're tradeable and (of course) don't cost any dilithium to make. Oh... and you can give us the schematics as awards on the STFs.
The idea of putting it as a craftable thing is good. I myself love it, since I'm a addict crafter. However, I see non-crafters complaining about it. My suggestion: Make both routes available. Put the crafting option requiring a lower number of salvages, but put it on requiring a high crafting skill and some anomalies. But keep it available also as Dilithium/salvage, so those who prefers to keep grinding the STF's may do so.

This take me to other point, more related to the actual format of the STF. The impression it passed to me it is that it become more a sort of a set of fast grinding missions. I may do it on something like 15 minutes, and gain some salvages and Dilithium that I may be able to exchange for some fine equipament. And this isn't all bad at all. Giving the new economy, the game was missing a non daily mission to do this sort of grinding. However, I think I will miss the old STF's. It had a sequential plot and really required a team effort . Don't know how will be the ellite version though. Perhaps it may be like it. If this is the case, the difficulty problem is solved. But it keep the story problem. The cure for instance. It was a space section, then ground, then space. Now the two space sections is blended on one, what mekes the history don't make much sense. Also, there is nothing on the queue indicating what comes first. So, these points I thing that may be worked to make STF's a bit better.
Lt. Commander
# 75
10-25-2011, 12:36 AM
I have tried the new STF system on Tribble yesterday and so far I have a positive impression. I have played 1 Infected run about a year ago as my only STF experience so far. Having a job and a family makes it almost impossible to dedicate 2h exclusivly to an STF run. But 15-30 minutes is possible. So I enjoyed a complete Infected run and the Cure space part. (I mistakenly thought Cure space was before Cure ground) People were very friendly and told me what to do when I said it was my first run.

From the flow of events I enjoyed the space parts more than the ground part which (Infected at least) feels like grinding through group after group after another group of Borg. BUT... It is far more enjoyable than the original STF where the grind was far more obvious. We had mass crashes (3 of 5) at Ogden and one didn't make it back into the group. Rebecca was a fun fight, no more swimming in plasma :-)

The STFs are fun, fast and not difficult. We did it in PUGs with minimal communication. On the return side, the others got some interesting loot and there is some more salvage thrown in here and there which is good for my team mates. I have abysmal luck when it comes to looting, every time I roll a 98 there is of course someone else with a 99, but that's me. And when I do win a roll its nothing I need. As always... :-) (that's why I am such a big fan of token systems)

When I looked at what I can do with the salvage things turned a little darker. I find the salvage system confusing and by the time I figured out what I can buy with which token I saw the big grind in front of me. While I do enjoy a good mission with teammates, I do not like repeating it 30 times for 1(!) piece of Mk X equipment that is style only (my current armor is better...) This would surely take the fun out very very fast. When I look at Mk XI it is 60 runs (abysmal luck and so...)

In conclusion, I do like the new and cool STF system, but please tweak the reward system a little. At least Mk X should not feel like the eternal grind. (Mk XI and Mk XII is another question...)

Regards, Dinkelsen
Lt. Commander
# 76
10-27-2011, 01:57 PM
The drop model is fatally flawed. It simply recreates the mark system we have currently. I've posted alternatives elsewhere. Long story short, drops must be upvertable.
Lt. Commander
# 77
10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bariman View Post

great tell them that... number one they want this so you do STF's
number two, people are ****ed as dilitium, are you trying to be hated too?
Lt. Commander
# 78
10-28-2011, 10:40 AM
So far I've only tried the regular versions of both parts of Infected and the space parts of Cure and Khitomer Accords.

Infected - Both have improved and I wouldn't mind doing them a few times a week.
Cure - The space part id good.
Khitomer Accord - Space part worse then it was before. The Holodeck version is better then the one on Tribble currently. We were very well organized and no probes managed to get far. But to be able to do it in 15 minutes? Have anyone been able to do that? We completed it in 35 minutes according to the mission journal log.
Lt. Commander
# 79
11-01-2011, 02:47 PM
so now in day it is "What ?? you didn't done at least once the STF you are a noob"
in the futur it will be "what?? you didn't do the STF at least 300 times you are a noob"

not puting the reward for sell for dilithium is obvious.... you want to keep STF a thing people will play.
But bringing so much repetition in the accomplishment of a short story don't you think that this arc will loose all interrest.

In the end once people will finally have all their wanted gears from those STF they will be so sick of them that they will never do them ever again... So the skilled players will terminate them faster than the other and will not help to other players in their guild to do them ... More or less what actually exists but for the oposite reason.

So today skilled players that succeed manytimes STF don't want to do them because it means alot of preparation and to invest alot of time on same playing session. Tomorow skilled players will not help their guilds folks cause the event is borring repetive and that they already had their share of it

This is what Confusus call Evolution Without Motion... You reform the event to the complete oposite and in the end it has the same impact on the player community....

I can give you an example we all lived I thing ... the FE series... I have 3 chars so I had to do them with all of them and well after the first time the story isn't rode anymore and you can do most of the mission in a blast ... So it merly lost all the interest they initially had the very first time I played them and enjoyed to read and live the stories.

I think the STF will be that way too ... Played so much that they loose all shape... like when you wear too often your favorite cloth...

in the end I don't know if a prefere do 30 times a 10 minutes fight or one time a 300 minutes fight ... (still 1 time 300 minutes fight apears to me more epic ... but this is just my taste and as Confusus stated this is no change this is just take the same problem and reversing it... ).The real difference is that I will win every time and not have my random created party to disband after 20 minutes because we are stuck. And that I will be able to do them on several playing session instead of having the actual very long play session per episode of the arc.

I'm a special kind of player ... I don't play to earn more and more possesions I play to live interesting stories... As much as you can like anything after reapiting that experience too mych you grow tired of it. The interesting part in Scritped PVP is that the player decide the outcome so the story told is from the start shapeless and less borring to repeat.
Lt. Commander
# 80
11-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teralkaar
so now in day it is "What ?? you didn't done at least once the STF you are a noob"
in the futur it will be "what?? you didn't do the STF at least 300 times you are a noob"

not puting the reward for sell for dilithium is obvious.... you want to keep STF a thing people will play.
But bringing so much repetition in the accomplishment of a short story don't you think that this arc will loose all interrest.

In the end once people will finally have all their wanted gears from those STF they will be so sick of them that they will never do them ever again... So the skilled players will terminate them faster than the other and will not help to other players in their guild to do them ... More or less what actually exists but for the oposite reason.

So today skilled players that succeed manytimes STF don't want to do them because it means alot of preparation and to invest alot of time on same playing session. Tomorow skilled players will not help their guilds folks cause the event is borring repetive and that they already had their share of it

This is what Confusus call Evolution Without Motion... You reform the event to the complete oposite and in the end it has the same impact on the player community....

I can give you an example we all lived I thing ... the FE series... I have 3 chars so I had to do them with all of them and well after the first time the story isn't rode anymore and you can do most of the mission in a blast ... So it merly lost all the interest they initially had the very first time I played them and enjoyed to read and live the stories.

I think the STF will be that way too ... Played so much that they loose all shape... like when you wear too often your favorite cloth...

in the end I don't know if a prefere do 30 times a 10 minutes fight or one time a 300 minutes fight ... (still 1 time 300 minutes fight apears to me more epic ... but this is just my taste and as Confusus stated this is no change this is just take the same problem and reversing it... ).The real difference is that I will win every time and not have my random created party to disband after 20 minutes because we are stuck. And that I will be able to do them on several playing session instead of having the actual very long play session per episode of the arc.

I'm a special kind of player ... I don't play to earn more and more possesions I play to live interesting stories... As much as you can like anything after reapiting that experience too mych you grow tired of it. The interesting part in Scritped PVP is that the player decide the outcome so the story told is from the start shapeless and less borring to repeat.
300 times and your a noob? hardly. anyone calls you a noob after the 10th time and they just a child. a noob is someone that doesnt know how to play the game, or is new to the task. ignore those people who use it as a insult. if you were the weakest link cause you didnt know what was going on, than be fair and stand up and say this is your first time doing it, or asked the matter to be explained. if your under geared, speak up. undergeared in know what to do are too different things. and ignore pugs, some ppeople are just jerks.

and you are right 1 time 300 minute fight is epic. these are meant to be raids. PW doesnt have raids, they have instances. and they dont do research in these fields. they're main focus is always the game and the money they get off it, nothing more, nothing less.