Lt. Commander
# 41
11-08-2011, 10:46 AM
The way things worked out here at Cryptic is that, after the post which was quoted at the start of this thread, we decided that we were definitely not going to re-instate the free Vice Admiral Ship Token for all players. It isn't in the best interest of our business. I know that it is unpopular, but that is the decision we made. And we plan to stick with it.

The posting that was quoted states that our initial thinking was that it was a bad idea to give out the token for all Gold members, and that we were thinking about other options. We explored a number of options for giving out the token, including quite a few clever ones that people on the forums posted. After intense consideration and modeling, we did not find any option that we felt fit out needs. The whole idea of the "exploit" that started our initial thinking (and which I posted about) became just a minor point once we did deeper analysis. So we were planning for there to be no way to get this token any longer.

Then when we were looking at the Veteran Rewards tables for 700+ days, we wanted to fill the hole at 600 days that was created by the Dilithium economy shift. The design team felt that putting the token in at this level would be a way to preserve the token for the most loyal, long term customers without having any substantial number of players getting it. Since we didn't have any other great ideas for something to fill the slot, we went ahead and put it in there.

From this thread, it sounds like the decision isn't popular with everyone. I will have my team discuss the possibility of something else being in the 600 day reward in addition to the token. But I can say that the token won't be getting easier to get than the 600 day mark.

While I don't come with good news this time, I can say that I really respect how you all are fighting to make the game as good as it can be. And I like how constructive you are being in this thread. We are working hard as well, with the same goal of making the game great. We are listening, but we are also looking at the business. If the business side doesn't work, then the game won't get new content and won't grow.

We are using the F2P launch as a reason to invest a lot into STO, and we're looking to grow the game substantially next year with new content, new play options, and so on. Going F2P requires some rethinking, though, of elements of the game. Some of these I think we're doing well on, and other not so much. But we're trying. And I appreciate when you all let us know what you think. It helps us, even when you are not seeing responses like this all the time. Thanks!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
The way things worked out here at Cryptic is that, after the post which was quoted at the start of this thread, we decided that we were definitely not going to re-instate the free Vice Admiral Ship Token for all players. It isn't in the best interest of our business. I know that it is unpopular, but that is the decision we made. And we plan to stick with it.

The posting that was quoted states that our initial thinking was that it was a bad idea to give out the token for all Gold members, and that we were thinking about other options. We explored a number of options for giving out the token, including quite a few clever ones that people on the forums posted. After intense consideration and modeling, we did not find any option that we felt fit out needs. The whole idea of the "exploit" that started our initial thinking (and which I posted about) became just a minor point once we did deeper analysis. So we were planning for there to be no way to get this token any longer.

Then when we were looking at the Veteran Rewards tables for 700+ days, we wanted to fill the hole at 600 days that was created by the Dilithium economy shift. The design team felt that putting the token in at this level would be a way to preserve the token for the most loyal, long term customers without having any substantial number of players getting it. Since we didn't have any other great ideas for something to fill the slot, we went ahead and put it in there.

From this thread, it sounds like the decision isn't popular with everyone. I will have my team discuss the possibility of something else being in the 600 day reward in addition to the token. But I can say that the token won't be getting easier to get than the 600 day mark.

While I don't come with good news this time, I can say that I really respect how you all are fighting to make the game as good as it can be. And I like how constructive you are being in this thread. We are working hard as well, with the same goal of making the game great. We are listening, but we are also looking at the business. If the business side doesn't work, then the game won't get new content and won't grow.

We are using the F2P launch as a reason to invest a lot into STO, and we're looking to grow the game substantially next year with new content, new play options, and so on. Going F2P requires some rethinking, though, of elements of the game. Some of these I think we're doing well on, and other not so much. But we're trying. And I appreciate when you all let us know what you think. It helps us, even when you are not seeing responses like this all the time. Thanks!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Fair play - honest answers are always welcome.

Request: Information r.e. plans for content moving forwards - maybe a Dev Blog?
Lt. Commander
# 43
11-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
The way things worked out here at Cryptic is that, after the post which was quoted at the start of this thread, we decided that we were definitely not going to re-instate the free Vice Admiral Ship Token for all players.
Of course not. However subscribers are not "all players". In fact they are going to be the minority after F2P. So giving your subscribers the VA token after 2 months sub isnt going to hurt your bank. Also, your not giving anything away "free" to subscribers because they are subscribing.
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
The tokens were removed from the 500 day reward, the 600 day reward was just weak to start with. Can you please confirm if you are placing this token at 500 to replace the tokens or at 600 to give it some purpose?
Lt. Commander
# 45
11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Thanks for the update, Steve!

Lt. Commander
# 46
11-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Of course not. However subscribers are not "all players". In fact they are going to be the minority after F2P. So giving your subscribers the VA token after 2 months sub isnt going to hurt your bank. Remember, your not giving anything away to "free" to subscribers because they are subscribing.
Gotta go with the Nagus on this one, but I do appreciate you responding to the general outcry.
Lt. Commander
# 47
11-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
ok thank you for your comments.

final question though. there is confusion as to the number of days.

geko said 500, stormy said 600 then 500. the emblems that were taken out was on the 500 days, so can we just have a concrete final answer as im not sure the right hand is talking to the left hand here.

500 or 600. which is it?

thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 48
11-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
I completely understand why you took the VA ship token out of the game. Considering that you put in a c-store stipend, it really does make up for it. It never really bothered me that much.

However, as much as I like the Veterans rewards (like putting the VA token back into the game), they are nowhere near the level where it would make sense for me to choose gold over silver if I were not already a lifetime member. Considering that this is one of the few unique benefits that gold members get, I would think that you guys would do more to beef up veteran's rewards. It just seems to make more sense to buy things as needed from the c-store as it is now on tribble. The added grind is something that people who are Star Trek fans, not MMO fans like me do not appreciate, so the automatic dilithium refining is not something that really entices me.

When you do the math, you guys are getting about $5-10 a month net from subscriptions (after taking into account the additional c-store sales spent by silver players). That is $60-120 a year per gold player which is pretty much money in the bank for you guys. But, like I said, I do not see a reason that I would continue the gold subscription when it makes more sense just to make a few one-time purchases at the c-store.

Now, if you tripled the veterans rewards and did things to make the game less of a "grind" for those of us who bought this game because it said Star Trek in the title (not because it said online) that would sell a lot of gold subscriptions, at least if there are a lot of players like me.
Lt. Commander
# 49
11-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
As others have said, even if the answer is unpopular, I think many players appreciate a straightforward, honest answer.
Lt. Commander
# 50
11-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
I completely understand why you took the VA ship token out of the game. Considering that you put in a c-store stipend, it really does make up for it.
These ships are going to cost 2000 after F2P, which will take 5 months to save up your stipend. How does that "make up for it"?
Closed Thread