Lt. Commander
# 11
11-09-2011, 08:45 AM
No, I cant recomend this game to anyone. In fact, I will tell them "stay away from cryptic games".
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Yes I would.

Reason: Because I'm in the game and playing it with them and they like Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-09-2011, 09:03 AM
As a brand new player to the game, I would recommend it just based off my own experience so far. I am reading though, and it's obvious to me that the fans are frustrated, so i am taking in that side of the story as well. But just based on personal experience so far, it's easily worth the money right now.

I picked up the CE for 12 bucks. Been playing 5 days and am Lieutenant 7, I like to take my time in MMO;s, taking in as much as I can. At this rate it will take me 6 months to hit end game, which is good because I generally hate end game in most mmo's.

Also, although i am 40, I never got into ST. I loved Star Wars (ep 4,5 and 6 anyway), Buck Rogers, Dr. Who, BSG and eventually things like SG and Farscape, but for some reason I completely bypassed Star Trek. Well, playing this game on Saturday for the first time, for 10 straight hours, I decided to queue up the original series on netflix and have been watching those in order. I am amazed at how much I love it. I would have never guessed it! I'm not sure why i thought I would not like it, but I was wrong.

Looking forward to the rest of the series, and then the Next Generation, and also looking forward to the rest oft his game. At this point, I'd recommend it to people like me, people who generally like sci-fi and have at least some interest in learning more about the ST universe, as well as people who have never played it and want to take things slow. There may not be anyone else like that, but if there is, pick it up... it's a steal at this point, in my opinion!

As far as the frustrated vets of this game, I feel really bad for you guys & gals. I've been there in other games and it sucks. To love a game or IP and support it for years, only to feel like you're getting nothing in return. I hope that changes fast, or I might be right there with you guys in 6 months or so.

So here's hoping it gets better for everyone and goes on to become THE Star Trek game to be in.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I will only recommend it after it goes F2P.
I do regret getting a Life time sub because of the lack of attention to new content and the lack of work on PvP issues.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Yeah...a new player wouldnt have any content issues until they hit max level, which would probably be after F2P and we'll probably be seeing the next FE series around that time.

But I would recommend that people wait until after F2P. That way they dont have to pay the monthly sub at all and if they dont enjoy the game then its no loss for them.

The experience for existing subscribers has definitely sucked these past months, theres no denying that. However I am very interested in hearing how people who start at F2P feel about what they are getting for free.
Agreed, im prepearing my told you so speech just in case
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyias View Post
I can

For a new player the game has a plethora of different types of missions to enjoy content. In fact, one of my friends just recently subscribed and is loving the game.

For the record, his time frame may have been off, but it is very possible to get max level AND maxed gear within a week. I know, because my friend did it.
but by MR D's comment today you can do that in 1 day LOL with all the cool gear.

of course they need to add content to holodeck or people will just leave, after 8+months with no new content people will get tired and leave. Cryptic is acting not in the best interest of us at all that is already noted. So sooner or later they will notice that their playerbase is dwindling. By then it might be too late.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-09-2011, 09:38 AM
I can definitely recommend STO, even more so from January 17th 2012 than ever before.

No other game I know features:
  • The Star Trek universe including space and planet-side combat and settings.

• Multiple Star Trek themed ships and gear items

• Multiple Star Trek themed adventures.

• Adventuring together with friends, or strangers.

• A tool that allows any player to create and share their Star Trek themed adventures!

• And after January 17th 2012, doing it all without a subscription fee!
Do we even have any other Star Trek game that has these features?
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I can definitely recommend STO, even more so from January 17th 2012 than ever before.

No other game I know features:
  • The Star Trek universe including space and planet-side combat and settings.

• Multiple Star Trek themed ships and gear items

• Multiple Star Trek themed adventures.

• Adventuring together with friends, or strangers.

• A tool that allows any player to create and share their Star Trek themed adventures!

• And after January 17th 2012, doing it all without a subscription fee!
Do we even have any other Star Trek game that has these features?

As it was stated a new person coming into STO for first time will not have a problem until they hit VA. Then they will notice what we are now. I might be able to agree with OP to a point but the game in itself is a good game if they would fix what needs to be fixed and quit trying to change everything about it to rip out its aura it once had. now it seems its a shell of what it once was.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-09-2011, 09:52 AM
The game is enjoyable when you first play it the problem does come at the end of the game there isnt much to recomend to replay. So yes i would recomend this game but i would state that the game doesnt really have much more than 3 months playability. I would say though fi the player is really into RP and enjoys the startrek universe then i would say that this game is very fun.

i think you could say that STO is more a casual game it doesnt do well for hard core mmo players sort of people who would be happy to play non stop but for an hour or two a night or even not playing every night then yes fun game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I have tried, but honestly the "Foul air" on the internet about STO hinders it greatly to any but true fans of the Genre.