Lt. Commander
# 131
11-09-2011, 01:33 PM
i just want to know why for a gold member we get an energy credit cap of 1 bill. i can understand the cap for silver.
Lt. Commander
# 132
11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd already be happy if the dilithium cost was lowered a bit for MK VIII items and above in crafting. Also, the refinement cap should be raised to at least 12'000 if not 16'000 per day, not just 8'000 (I reached that limit as a Lieutenant and Lt. Commander in a single day already).
Lt. Commander
# 133
11-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
That's not true. Their issue is Crafting will look better than their economy as it currently stands as they believe it takes less time to craft a high end item. While they might be right when you are talking about someone already maxed in crafting, it is still a little far fetched. Particle Traces are random and can take days to find the exact one you want unless you go to the exchange. The exchange of course might be part of the problem, but it ideally reflects the value players place on an item. As EC inflation continues and demand goes up, so does the prices.

The better solution they could have done was increase the overall requirements for crafting. The more traces needed, the more time needed. It also wouldn't have been a bad idea to increase crafting skills up, making high end gear need 10,000 crafting skill instead of the current requirement. But instead, they tossed in the one currency that you can buy with real money and cannot be traded directly among players that also serves as another time gate on top of another time gate (finding and leveling crafting).
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just quoting what this man said.

Specificallly:

"We are doing our best to mitigate the issues. There are a lot of questions as why does crafting high end gear cost so much Dilithium. The bottom line is Dilithium is an important economy, and one that is tied directly into Cryptic Points (and thus real money). It is the foundation of the Free to Play economy and the games revenue model."

If what Geko says is true - and as he is a developer, not a marketer, I don't have any reason to doubt his claims - then simply removing Dilithium from crafting is (from Cryptic's perspective) not an acceptable option.
Lt. Commander
# 134
11-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to come out as if I was shooting you down.

I know Geko has talked about this but the reality is it is not the only option. I concede that it may be the only option for Cryptic, but we don't get to see a nice table of what they discussed with the Pros and Cons. But I highly doubt this was the only option unless they are being forced into a grind/money-grab scenario by higher powers.
Lt. Commander
# 135
11-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
Sorry, I didn't mean to come out as if I was shooting you down.

I know Geko has talked about this but the reality is it is not the only option. I concede that it may be the only option for Cryptic, but we don't get to see a nice table of what they discussed with the Pros and Cons. But I highly doubt this was the only option unless they are being forced into a grind/money-grab scenario by higher powers.
Sadly, (from experience working in a media company) I suspect that the reality at Cryptic is such that the creatives have no real power in this affair as there is the possibility that money is involved at higher echelons. I recently questioned my own managers over a 'content' decision where I work that, from my perspective, was simply a taboo with one of those 'rules' you just don't break.

Unfortunately, the bureaucracy and 'corporate policy' on the matter was such that the reply I got from my Director was that "it was not our battle to fight."

If this is the same for Geko and his team right now I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised, so I sympathise with him and hope he manages to get us as many compromises as he can.

Lord knows, I got none where my problem was concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 136
11-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I honestly feel very bad for Stormshade right at the moment.

His position reminds me more than anything of the russian news guy in Airplane II, with the gun to his head consistently to ensure he said the 'right' thing or have it blown off right on the air. :p

That's the only way, in light of player response, that he could really be still claiming how wonderful things are. His paycheck has the match/lighter/whatever on it, 24/7.

It's also less directly why we still have a 'temporary' executive producer. Someone who hasn't been EP for ages, with the clout to stand up to the overlords. Instead, a temp who has to bow over and present his tail end to them whenever they want.

As such, I also feel somewhat bad for d'angelo as well.
Lt. Commander
# 137
11-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
That's a little unfair. It's already been acknowledged by Geko that from a business perspective, they can't simply rip out the Dilithium element of crafting "right this very second" because it will undermine their economy.

This is a balancing act that needs further refinement, no doubt, but I would expect its going to come over a series of small tweaks and adjustments like this one. Not radical, sweeping changes that force them to start all over again.
Radical. Sweeping. Change. That is exactly what they need if they have any intention of keeping this game afloat. Instead they shoehorned in the Dilithium farce fo a currency (they said) to replace the mass of different reward tokens and now it's gated, limited in access, tied to the C-Store and spreading like a cancer throughout the game.

I'm about halfway through the paid equivalency of my lifetime sub. Do I feel ripped off? You Betcha!
Lt. Commander
# 138
11-10-2011, 09:36 AM
The coming Crafting Changes resolves one issue with the previous changes. But I withhold final judgment until I see the Diliithium prices for the new materials. That is the other issue with the previous changes. I can already see issues with the new changes. You giving player a method a limited method of trading Dilithium. It's Refined Dilithium, no less. Based on that and Captain Gecko's forum comments on the issue,, I can't see the Dilithium prices drop much, if any at all.

Edit: I also have come to realize that, the Material Blocks are not also a gateway for Dilithium into Energy Credits conversion. That's going to have a lot of interesting ramifications on the economy. My mind is starting to boggle from all of the implications. The is going to allow a lot of things the Jessie Heinig say were undesiren in his interview in STOked, 100 (e.g. Dilithium being usable in the Exchange, albeit indirectly.
Lt. Commander
# 139 Cosmetic suggestions
11-11-2011, 12:30 AM
With all these fixes can we also get unique interiors (and variants maybe?) for the new KDF ships? (ie: Corsair Cruiser, PHalanx Sci, Dacoit Flight-deck Cruiser) It has been done for the TOS Connie so why not for these ships to give them more value and entice people to buy them?
My ideas for the interiors:
for Orion:
1) Silvery metal with green carpeting option
2) Banners/drapery options
3) unique lounge/quarters like befiting Orion
For others:
1) Harsh lines & feel for Nausicaan ships
2) warmer but reptilian feel for Gorn ships

Also with these Orion ships could more of the weapons fire from the turret points on the hull? It seems weird to have them there but not do anything.