Lt. Commander
# 11
11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
You and I, both, have seen this all before. (I remember your postings from SWG) It would seem that Cryptic is going down the exact failed path that SOE chose with Galaxies, including an NGE (F2P CHANGES), a C6CD (the skill box revamp), and TCG (putting in things the community had been asking for for years, only for real money).

We've been there, done that, and got the T-shirt. If Cryptic keeps up this path, we both know how it will end up, also.
Those comparisons couldnt be more flawed. The NGE literally removed things from the game that people played. Nothing is being removed in STO, and anything you already have will always be yours. The combat changes in STO, while not perfect, are something alot of people seem to like. The CU in SWG was not. And adding in things people want have nothing to do with a TCG. If anything is like a TCG it would be the Doff system, because they are going to be selling Doff packs.

Every post comparing something to the NGE just shows how little people actually understand the NGE, or are only trying to use the name for shock value.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerimus13 View Post
Last I checked it was going for about 14 bucks a share. I know one of us could not buy enough shares to make them care that is why I proposed that we get together as a community and buy the shares. In essence we would be taking over the company. If each person bought what was easy on their budget then we might be able to get close to 51 percent. In reality we would not have to have a controlling interest but a large enough block to make them take notice.

I know this might not be feasible but I thought I would throw it out there are and have a discussion about it.

What made me think out this is the Occupy Wall Street movement. I got to thinking what if everyday normal people got together and bought stocks in companies and come together and created controlling interest so the culture of corruption and greed in these companies could be nullified. I guess I was just have a thought experiment but I really don't see how we as consumers can get companies to listen to us unless we figure out a way to make them think of the bottom line.
Problem is that PWI is also a US version of a holding company owned via offshore interests. The main parent is PW and is owned and operated via a joint venture with a Gov't entity. You will never be able to buy controling interest in a company such as this. That parent will not let this happen.

All it will do is make their stock prices go up via demand.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
And adding in things people want have nothing to do with a TCG. If anything is like a TCG it would be the Doff system, because they are going to be selling Doff packs.
And even then I have earned most of my DOffs using the DOff system, so purchasing is still not a requirment.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-12-2011, 10:21 AM
There are serious problems at Cryptic, obviously. They can't fix bugs, make game play, patch or make decent decisions.

They have computers, employee's and the program but they don't make content. Just think how different this game would be if they would have made a STF every month.

I think they just made c-store items because they believed the IP would be enough to keep people subscribing. Just making c-store items for the feeder bar people. Massive amounts of subscribers left and we are where we are today, then feeder bar people went somewhere else for their fix.

If they would have been making content this whole time. They probably wouldn't have had to be sold or have to switch to F2P. I seen people begging for content, they wanted to support Cryptic and STO. Instead they put everything in the c-store basket.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
And even then I have earned most of my DOffs using the DOff system, so purchasing is still not a requirment.
Your right; its not. The Doff system is just the only thing remotely comparable to the TCG that he mentioned, even though the comparison still falls short.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenizenVI
So your suggestion is to build foundry-quality missions themselves so we get a new mission every week without new art assets? How is this any different from foundry missions made by players? Do you just want more daily rewards? I would rather the devs use their resources to make new stuff than rehash things we can already rehash.
No... I said that NOT EVERY piece of new playable content needs new assets.

Let me use Lego sets as an example... There are a fixed number of types of lego pieces in each phase of lego products. And yet with the variety of colors, and the ability to combine them in infinite ways, the possibilities are only limited by the imagination of the builder.

It is the same with mission building.

I would not mind seeing an official content writer using the same exact tools that foundry authors have access to, and deploy their missions directly into the game instead of having them secured behind a protective wall that separates UGC from official content. Content is content after all, and as long as it is officially made, and it keeps coming, who are we to complain.

But the point is we don't even have THAT, but we COULD if Cryptic were to stop monkeying around with stuff that is on the horizon when they need to be dealing with what is going on right here and right now.

I think you knew what I was talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I think you knew what I was talking about.
Assuming that other people know what you mean on the internet is a very big mistake to make.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Those comparisons couldnt be more flawed. The NGE literally removed things from the game that people played. Nothing is being removed in STO, and anything you already have will always be yours. The combat changes in STO, while not perfect, are something alot of people seem to like. And adding in things people want have nothing to do with a TCG. If anything is like a TCG it would be the Doff system, because they are going to be selling Doff packs.

Every post comparing something to the NGE just shows how little people actually understand the NGE, or are only trying to use the name for shock value.
Come on Nagus, we've done this all before. You don't believe that this version of an NGE includes "take away" development? How about the VA token that was given when it was actualy needed. Putting it back in, almost 2 years, down the road as a vet reward for a new subscriber, is no where near the same as most will not be here to even gain the benefit. There is NO "deflector" boxes included in the skill box revamp. That "takes away" the hardened shield build. You might not have used it, but I did. I would no longer have the freedom to chose which "mission" I would want, when I would want it via "take away" development in this case, specificaly the taking away of choice, I would no longer have the oportunity to level up via explore missions and gain all the green/blue gear as I level. My currencys, existing in game today, will be made of no effect, (explore mission currencys, respec currencys, etc) and even NO thought to replacing these large numbers with dil. They go the way of "creature handler". No in-game methods of respecs, they're "taken out". Taking away my existing abilty to craft gear as I level an alt due to it being tied with untradable dil. (which I did with every alt I have leveled in this game) I could go on, for a long time in fact, but why?

Name me a CHANGE they haven't hit, right down to the T with the original NGE? Take away development, see above, Crafters made useless? The SWG CHANGES included gone decay, here it's add dil, both make crafters and specific items almost useless. You believe that any1 will use dil for Tier VI gear? Profession revamps for ev1? Take a real good look at the skill box revamp, Every1 gets the NERF just like the original NGE. etc etc etc etc etc etc. I've actualy had a Sci on live that I've been leveling up, on the same exact missions, that I've done with my tribble toon and let me tell you, the NERF is definantly there and living in the heart of the tribble CHANGES.

It is not me who does not understand what an NGE is but to tell the truth, you might just get the full idea when this is all said and done. And there should be "shock value" to the term NGE. It should "shock" a playerbase and it really should "shock" a gaming company as we all know how it turned out. SOE used the exact term, 'massive changes" over NGE, the same exact term I have seen used here via 2 "red-names" now. Try again, Nagus.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Assuming that other people know what you mean on the internet is a very big mistake to make.
Maybe, but for all the rest I said, the fact that he isolated that one thing (which I later clarified) suggests that I did not make that mistake this time...
Lt. Commander
Several days ago, before I bought my right to speak by resubbing, I posted this to the unofficial f2p board:

Quote:
In all honesty, after a conversation with Peregrine_Falcon last night, I have decided to let go of some of my angst. At this time, I am unsubscribed and so cannot see what is really going on with the updates to Tribble. But he has. He has been very critical of Cryptics decisions in the past, and he is okay with a lot of what they are doing. I trust his judgment so if Cryptic's most recent actions have calmed many of his concernse, I guess I can let mine rest a while.

Scary, isn't it?

The Biggest problem, after deciding not to look at everything through through fire and brimstone tinted glasses, is that we are not being shown the big picture.

I think that if Cryptic really cares about their product, they are putting together a puzzel of many pieces that when finished, will look awesome. The problem is, the surface they are putting the puzzel together on has an ugly picture painted on it. Right now we are seeing more of the ugly picture than we are seeing of the picture printed on the puzzel.

Do I think they are making bad decisions? Yes. Especially with including Dilithium in the requirements for crafting, and the fact that they are trying to monetize everything. I know they need to make money, but if they would focus on building stuff that people would not mind paying for if they had no other recourse, then the money would be there.

They are overcomplicating a simple solution, and angering a lot of people who should be looking forward to the changes. They need to take a step back and realize that unlike just a year ago, there are now a lot of options for gamers to consider. Many major MMOs have converted to Free-to-play. So there are those. Skyrim comes out in three days, and at the same time, MineCraft will be ending beta and launching as v1.0.

So with all the options being presented to gamers now, this is not the time for core design principles to become introvertive. MMO developers need to pay attention to what the MMO community as a whole needs and desires out of a game. and do whatever it takes to provide it. Because if they cannot get it with one, they will go to another to get it.
Now some of the angst I had let go of is back. But it is because of Mr. D'Angelo's flippant "I'm sad that things didn't happen" statement, when he is now effectively the man in charge under a company that we were told wants to spend the money it takes to get STO on track. It's more of them talking the talk, but conveniently failing to walk the walk.

I still think that they can do great things even if they stick to their current path. But they have to remember that on a long journey, it is necessary to make some stops along the way. If I were to drive from the east coast to the west coast, if I didn't stop to get some food and sleep, I would pass out behind the wheel from exhaustion and lack of food.

That's what Cryptic is doing to us. They are taking us on a long journey, but there is no food coming. In this case, food is content and the journey is this protracted conversion to F2P.

I'm all for them moving ahead with their plans, but they need to remember that they have a product that is out there and live RIGHT NOW and address the issues it has right here and right now. It's like a small grocery store that has a big store under construction and cannot wait until they can serve so many more customers. Treating the current customers like vermin is not a good idea. Because a lot of them will even darken the door when the new and bigger store opens.

Oh... and if you are the guy who rode with the girl to the dance, you had better dance with her or you may find yourself walking home...