Lt. Commander
While I'm not a hardcore crafter by trade, I have been monitoring the crafting changes with some interest.
As I understand it, material blocks are to allow for fleet crafters to continue to be able to craft for their fleets and allow Cryptic to implement a cost in dilithium.

Obviously there are very strong opinions about that decision, but that isn't what this topic is about. Assuming the decision is not going to be reversed, why not make material blocks determine the bonuses to the item being created?

There would have to be a variety of material blocks for each bonus plus a generic block for each class of item under this proposal. The blocks could be scaled by rarity, better blocks giving better bonuses and costing more dilithium. Traces would be designated to determine damage type (phaser, polaron etc.)

For example say I'm building a dual beam bank. At a minimum I need:

Generic Material Weapon Block
30 Anomalies
1 Phaser Energy Trace
1 DBB schematic

Or if I wanted a better Dual Beam Bank:

Very Rare Accuracy Weapon Material Block [Acc x3]
30 Anomalies
1 Antiproton Energy Trace
1 DBB schematic

This would seem like a win-win sort of implementation. Crafters and players get more customization, Cryptic gets better returns for it's dilithium crafting gate. A crafting window allowing drag and drop of specific components onto the item being created would make the system much more engaging as well.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-12-2011, 01:43 AM
I like it. Customizing craft-able items with modifiers determined by rarity of the Material Block is a neat idea.
Lt. Commander
# 3 A side note
11-12-2011, 02:01 AM
One other thought, a "special item" (aquired from C-store/featured episode etc.) slot could be added to the formula above for things like pantrinic shields, anti Borg modifiers. Hypothetically, when you use the special item slot the crafting item is created but the special item is not lost.

For example could add a "quad system item" to craft specialty quad cannons when you buy the San Paulo. Totally alleviates gripes about weapon bonuses and damage type. So the player buys the San Paulo, gets a set of phaser quad cannons a new ship and a crafting special item allowing them to create their own quad cannons. That seems like a great added value to the player, plus it works for Cryptic since it gives an incentive to spend more c-points via C-store (purchases for new +1 ship) and through the crafting process.
Lt. Commander
I still think that these "Material Blocks" that we are going to get with Dilithium should be reworked.

Schematics could be bought at Memory Alpha or Qonos for 2000 Dilithium each. Then those players that want them to craft could craft. Other players could buy them and then put them up on the exchange for Energy Credits.

I don't think they need to add to crafting but I am okay if they replace a step instead.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola_Tesla
I still think that these "Material Blocks" that we are going to get with Dilithium should be reworked.
Perhaps, but as it is, the (somewhat) "infamous" dilithium tax doesn't do anything positive for the player. By slightly upgrading the crafting system crafters (and through them players) at least get something in exchange for the added cost of item creation.

Granted my original post isn't the only way to rework the system. It does alleviate issues with crafting gear being sub-par as well as opens up options for more item types.

Anyway my $0.02 worth of dilithium
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I would be very interested in a method of making weapons and items more customizable. Some mods for weapons, as an example, are infinitely more desirable than others (lolDMG). There should probably be some kind of limits but more variety and control would at least make paying a little easier to deal with.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Anotehr option would be craft green/blue/purple items would require 1 schematic + 1 base material for item type such as type of weapon, type of shield, type of deflector, type of console, and then for green you add in one 'additional slot block', for blue you would add two slot blocks, and purple gets 3 slot blocks. The item created is dependent on the type of weapon and the slot blocks.

For weapons the base material determines damage type with the schematic determining the damage type.
For shields the base material determines the type of shield.
For deflectors the material determines the type of deflector.
For consoles the material determines the type of console within the sci/tac/eng branches.
For kits, the material determines the type of kit with the 'slot blocks' determining the powers within the kit (this one could use 4 slots instead of the number of slots determined by the quality.

So depending on how they want to handle materials then yes this could end up becoming the crafting formate we have always wanted.

And yes we would still be able to craft special item using special slot types. Want to add something new, then add a new material or slot type and now you have hundreds of new things.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
This is the perfect time and place to completely traitors crafting all together. The material boxes (I loathe that name) are a start but taking it further we could make crafting what it should have been in the begining. The anomalies we collect seem to have no relevance toward producing a shield. Really how does that work. Here is a tachyon signature, give me a shield? I think that we can establish a reason for all of this now. Why does dilitium play a part in it? Time to give a reason.

And this is sci-fi. Nutrinos are used for just about everything. So we -as input to the devs- can make it up.

I'm getting to the OP, so hang on there. It is well known that there is money outside of the federation, also well known is that the federation plays a part in the quadrent's economy as a whole entity. With the war times have changed and the economic capabilities of the whole is no longer possible. Thus credits are introduced as well as an influx of GPL. Dilitium is used as the solid form of money. (much like gold supports the paper money now). Because of the capabilities of Starfleet, dilitium is only.used among Starfleet personal.

Now we have a reason for the money. Now to the OP. Parts. That's all there is to it. Parts. The dilitium, and anomalies are a barter system with memory alpha for the exchange of parts. Parts you assemble yourself right there and then or ones that you can mail to your fleet to assemble for you. Make it complex like the OP refereed to. Different parts give different qualities to your weapons. And anyone can get them, it is assembling them that gets you.

No more schematics per weapon, shield, or armor. These are replaced with the crafting experience for they must be learned by you. Read it once and it is forever craftable. So there are of course many different schematics, one for each set of capabilities. This provides a good use for that useless records room.

What I can't think of is the difficulty in obtaining those schematics. No c-store. No hugely high dilitium price, something fun and interesting. Like that one episode where they flew across the systematically to obtain the genetic code.

Ok, my friends are angry at me for typing this, we are going to a movie and will be late so I have to run. I'm anxious to hear what you guys think.