Lt. Commander
# 11
11-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I have to agree, I'm not fond of the new STFs. Because they've become just 12 new Fleet Actions, that have you grinding for gear that's not worth the effort. (The Effects are weak for Anti-Borg Gear).

But I will admit this, the Ground Set Guns are worth it and I really like the Elite Force Skin. Silver looks good on ships.

As for the storyline, I heard thats going to be worked on. Really, it's not going to have the umph it once had when it was intact. Too bad we can't have the best of both worlds and have the original version kept intact and just tweeked for solo play for storyline only missions.
Well that's just it....so many people are going to pay them just for mostly useless shinies, many will play them for the one very useful piece you can get and many, many more still wont' play them because you have to grind them over and over and over to get something useful.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
Well that's just it....so many people are going to pay them just for mostly useless shinies, many will play them for the one very useful piece you can get and many, many more still wont' play them because you have to grind them over and over and over to get something useful.
The only reason I'm putting myself through this horror of a grind is to test for myself. I will flatly refuse to do STF's if the reward is lackluster and you have to run 180 STF runs for an entire set (if you're REALLY unlucky).

EDIT: The saving grace is that the STF's on normal are easier than before. I've tried Elite. I won't bother... If Normal isn't worth it, receiving injuries and getting nowhere progress-wise is a total non-starter.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Well usually any time something is dumbed down or broke down to be made shorter there are very good reasons behind doing so other than calling it a grind fest.

1. The reason to dumb it down is not everyone you come across is going to be in the average intelligence to above average (every village has a village idiot and even given that they are still ppl wanting to have fun so they gotta be able to win too).

2. In some places in the world it is considered torture to be subjected to having to play (or be in any form of contact) for hours with some people I've come across in STO.

3. Also some people have other priorities and do not have excessive time blocks to sit and play (theres no telling what my kids would do if I had to sit for 3+ hours... also would be considered child neglect) I'm sure you did not see that one coming.

4. Most of us we are here for the Star Trek and are not here to be subjected to how your fleet or friends likes to play the game. So in a lot of cases we either like to be left alone or as short of a time period as possible to be in communication with you for STF's. (This may an addition to #2) But as it may ppl commonly will say this a MMO yer susppossed to play with us, and I respond attitudes like that make you look really ignorant to the fact that I want nothing to do with you.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
Well usually any time something is dumbed down or broke down to be made shorter there are very good reasons behind doing so other than calling it a grind fest.

1. The reason to dumb it down is not everyone you come across is going to be in the average intelligence to above average (every village has a village idiot and even given that they are still ppl wanting to have fun so they gotta be able to win too).

2. In some places in the world it is considered torture to be subjected to having to play (or be in any form of contact) for hours with some people I've come across in STO.

3. Also some people have other priorities and do not have excessive time blocks to sit and play (theres no telling what my kids would do if I had to sit for 3+ hours... also would be considered child neglect) I'm sure you did not see that one coming.

4. Most of us we are here for the Star Trek and are not here to be subjected to how your fleet or friends likes to play the game. So in a lot of cases we either like to be left alone or as short of a time period as possible to be in communication with you for STF's. (This may an addition to #2) But as it may ppl commonly will say this a MMO yer susppossed to play with us, and I respond attitudes like that make you look really ignorant to the fact that I want nothing to do with you.
Nobody forced you to play the old stfs.

On the general subject:
I'm a little on the edge here.... i kind of like the new stfs, at least the space parts.
But i liked the old ones too.
I wold rather have seen new missions like the new stfs and kept the old ones... or the new stfs additional to the old ones...
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus

No they don't
Find new friends then

Don 't have the time you don't do it. simple as that. there are times i can't do things. so i don't.

I don't want to be subjected to how you want to make this a single player game with a chat room.
/10........
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-13-2011, 12:26 PM
i enjoy the new ones, but then im not that bothered by short repeatable content. the story is hacked to pieces but ill wait to see what goz is doing about that.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-13-2011, 12:30 PM
I didn't call it a grindfest, I called it "not fun".

Its not even tedious its so damn easy. My fleet 3 manned KA space.

If there's gear to be had from these sorry excuses for replacements I'll probably never have them. STF's are almost all I do now, and now that they'll be gone its just one more mark against me staying, and others like me.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Nobody forced you to play the old stfs.

On the general subject:
I'm a little on the edge here.... i kind of like the new stfs, at least the space parts.
But i liked the old ones too.
I wold rather have seen new missions like the new stfs and kept the old ones... or the new stfs additional to the old ones...
I haven't tried the new ones yet: I was never a big fan of the STFs - for myself. For others it seems (at least almost) the right thing.

But I think instead of fixing the same 3 missions for 2 years now Cryptic should maybe consider adding new ones. How about some non-Borg STFs? Maybe something involving the Federation Klingon War?

I suppose one reason to stay with the STFs and fine-tune them every few months is that you basially have all the art assets and it's faction-agnostic.

A new STF will require new art assets. But even if it's Klingon vs Federation, you could re-use it for either side....
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Well they been working on a new STF - Enter the Hive, God knows for how long. If I remember correctly it was first mentioned when Khitomer was going up for the first time. That 2 was over a year and a half ago.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Find them too easy, then try Elite. Find Elite too easy, then try Elite with less and less characters until it becomes a challenge. There is also trying to run an Elite with a bunch of noobs for a challenge. There is always ways to make the game more challenging if you want to.